• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penguinmaster

• kiavonne

• kookychick

• Melnicki

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great red-violet kind of purple.

Mmmm...another bulletproof to add to my growing collection. I can't wait to find this one.

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great red-violet kind of purple.

Mmmm...another bulletproof to add to my growing collection. I can't wait to find this one.

You'll have to search. From the info I've received there were only 10 bottles made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please though. The info I have is scarce. I think the 3 on the bottle means I have bottle #3 of it.

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

this is funny. look on the bottle of La Coleur Royale and you'll see one of the craziest labels -- Louis's beheading, and the subtitle "the final color of the king"!!

what does the subtitle say on this bottle? I bet it's something subversive... With Nathan (and with such a small run) you're always in for something ... well ... interesting!

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

The subtitle reads:

This bottle is limited to ten **** *********** at Raleigh 2004

***= words I can't read.

Very interesting catch though. I have both bottles and didn't notice that nor made any connection!

I wish Nathan would put a nice, bulletproof/eternal purple in his regular lineup.

Grats on getting this ink!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I wish Nathan would put a nice, bulletproof/eternal purple in his regular lineup.

Thanks.

I have not seen Iraqi Indigo in person but I'd imagine that is an eternal/bulletproof ink. It is sold by pendemonium. I'll be purchasing one as soon as legal lapis comes in as well. No connection, blah blah blah.

Nice review!

Just a question about the paper you've used. Is that some kind of standard template for FPN? I've been away for a while and I'm being curious... ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Nice review!

Just a question about the paper you've used. Is that some kind of standard template for FPN? I've been away for a while and I'm being curious... ;)

The review paper I used was one I created about 2 weeks ago as I started to do more reviews. It is linked though here courtesy of Ann Finley. The public one I created is a form fillable PDF so people can fill in some of the portions with their own information.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=56604

Ooops, seems it isn't working. I think I may have caused that. I'm checking into it.

Edited by penguinmaster

Violet Vote (once known as Iraqi Indigo) is indeed a bulletproof/eternal. However, I want a more purple purple, a deep purple. I've put off Violet Vote for quite a while. I'll get it eventually, though.

Thanks.

I have not seen Iraqi Indigo in person but I'd imagine that is an eternal/bulletproof ink. It is sold by pendemonium. I'll be purchasing one as soon as legal lapis comes in as well. No connection, blah blah blah.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Kiavonne... there are several purplish eternal inks... check Deirdre's scans to find out what they look like (no offense to Sam, but I wouldn't trust the Pendemonium scans)... UK Socrates is a reddish purple; looks a lot like this particular color. Mata Hari used to be a red-magenta and now is a deep murky purple. Highlands Heather used to be a purple-grey but now is a red-grey-brown (could marginally be considered purple, but it's even less so than Iraqi Indigo). And then there's the Russians. Kuprin is a red-magenta (so it's not a purple). Lermontov is deceiving and is more pink than it looks purple. Tchaikovsky looks closer to a good purple, but it still might be too pinkish; I've never seen this one in person and only in a few scans, and am puzzled by how it's different from Lermontov. There's also a few (Vanda Miss Joachim, Stockholm Indigo, Lotus Grace...) but those will be harder to obtain. I'd probably go with Socrates or Tchaikovsky or Vanda to get something that looks like this "Color of the King" ink.

And don't forget that a purple is very easy to mix. If you have full-bulletproofs in red and in blue, then you're in business.

And my recommendation is to skip going for full bulletproof (because they tend to be pale and have poor operability).. I like to self-mix semi-bulletproof colors, in which case you could add something like Wampum to Iraqi Indigo, or any one of the above purples, to get something more to your liking.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll sit on it for now.

I have Socrates. Not a real purple at all. I was actually kind of disappointed in the color, but I keep a pen inked with it. Lermontov was awful (to me, in my opinion). Had a neon pink cast to it. It was the only bottle of ink I've ever given away.

Kiavonne... there are several purplish eternal inks... check Deirdre's scans to find out what they look like (no offense to Sam, but I wouldn't trust the Pendemonium scans)... UK Socrates is a reddish purple; looks a lot like this particular color. Mata Hari used to be a red-magenta and now is a deep murky purple. Highlands Heather used to be a purple-grey but now is a red-grey-brown (could marginally be considered purple, but it's even less so than Iraqi Indigo). And then there's the Russians. Kuprin is a red-magenta (so it's not a purple). Lermontov is deceiving and is more pink than it looks purple. Tchaikovsky looks closer to a good purple, but it still might be too pinkish; I've never seen this one in person and only in a few scans, and am puzzled by how it's different from Lermontov. There's also a few (Vanda Miss Joachim, Stockholm Indigo, Lotus Grace...) but those will be harder to obtain. I'd probably go with Socrates or Tchaikovsky or Vanda to get something that looks like this "Color of the King" ink.

And don't forget that a purple is very easy to mix. If you have full-bulletproofs in red and in blue, then you're in business.

And my recommendation is to skip going for full bulletproof (because they tend to be pale and have poor operability).. I like to self-mix semi-bulletproof colors, in which case you could add something like Wampum to Iraqi Indigo, or any one of the above purples, to get something more to your liking.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I agree with kiavonne--I like Iraqi Indigo/The Violet Vote, but I wish there was a standard bulletproof purple that actually looked purple without being reddish or pinkish! I've tried Lermontov, and it's interesting, but the pink undertones are kinda weird. Mata Hari's Cordial is a muddy dark purplish-grayish color (at least in my pen)--it's okay, but not a bright purple. Vanda Miss Joachim still has some pinkish undertones to it (though not quite as much as Lermontov), and I'd classify Lotus Grace as more of a magenta--neither of those look close to the "Color of the King" ink on my monitor. I haven't tried Socrates or Tchaikovsky, but the former looks too reddish and the latter looks like it might still have a hint of pink in it from the samples I've seen online.

C'mon, Nathan! Help us out here! I'll probably start experimenting with mixing, but I'd love a straight-off-the-shelf bulletproof purple, too! :cloud9:

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

He has the perfect purple, imo - Wampum - but he needs to make it bulletproof. I'd settle for water resistent, even.

The Socrates I have is much more magenta than this, and my Highland Heather is a light pinkish gray. I bought them a while back, so I'm guessing old colors?

If Nathan takes votes, I'm adding my vote to asking for a bp purple!

Nice scan of an ink I'd love to have! Unlikely, given its rarity. (I did laugh when I saw ole Louis XIV on there - not a person you'd think of when thinking of Nathan. :D )

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

• 1 month later...
He has the perfect purple, imo - Wampum - but he needs to make it bulletproof. I'd settle for water resistent, even.

The Socrates I have is much more magenta than this, and my Highland Heather is a light pinkish gray. I bought them a while back, so I'm guessing old colors?

Nice scan of an ink I'd love to have! Unlikely, given its rarity. (I did laugh when I saw ole Louis XIV on there - not a person you'd think of when thinking of Nathan. :D )

For the full resistance to UV light, the contrast will end up being less - that is just the nature of UV light resistance. As for the Russian and Singapore colors, put them under a fluorescent black light and watch what happens before your eyes - there is indeed bright purple there within the hidden wavelengths.

A Purple Wampum with Baystate Blue water resistance and intensity can be made in the 1940s style...but for bulletproof qualities it would have to combine the properties of several different families of inks. People might get quite upset with such an ink if they are expecting a conventional ink...but it would have "all of the above" in terms of properties and contrast/depth.

The difficulties in pleasing a greater number of people will appear when the contrast is dramatically increased - that is the Baystate Blue road. High levels of contrast will require much stronger and more dramatic dye families.

Anyone for a periwinkel purple? We made nearly a dozen for Sam at Pendemonium early on...but she kept rejecting them as not being quite "periwinkel enough". That seems to be a color everyone thinks of differently.

The closest color to the "Color of the King" was that in the first 3 runs of the UK "Socrates", which was changed later due to one of the components not being as UV light resistant as the one that replaced it (I wanted 100%, not 93%).

One of the "Color of the King" bottles has a small palladium disk imbedded in the glass at the rear and has no number etched in the front - under that disk is a mid-grade diamond carved into the letter "N". A similar stunt was pulled with the "Red Oak Garnet" bottles, each of which had a garnet imbedded in the glass and a pure silver oak leaf overlaid beneath it as if the garnet stone were a mere acorn. Glass is hard to work with that way - and eventually unexpected cracking and chipping discouraged me. There are also two bottles that have glow in the dark caps that state "Redeemable - 1 - Gallon" and a serial number - which have never been claimed!!

So - dark and high contrast, dark and standard contrast and properties, or periwinkel?

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

For the full resistance to UV light, the contrast will end up being less - that is just the nature of UV light resistance. As for the Russian and Singapore colors, put them under a fluorescent black light and watch what happens before your eyes - there is indeed bright purple there within the hidden wavelengths.

A Purple Wampum with Baystate Blue water resistance and intensity can be made in the 1940s style...but for bulletproof qualities it would have to combine the properties of several different families of inks. People might get quite upset with such an ink if they are expecting a conventional ink...but it would have "all of the above" in terms of properties and contrast/depth.

The difficulties in pleasing a greater number of people will appear when the contrast is dramatically increased - that is the Baystate Blue road. High levels of contrast will require much stronger and more dramatic dye families.

Anyone for a periwinkel purple? We made nearly a dozen for Sam at Pendemonium early on...but she kept rejecting them as not being quite "periwinkel enough". That seems to be a color everyone thinks of differently.

The closest color to the "Color of the King" was that in the first 3 runs of the UK "Socrates", which was changed later due to one of the components not being as UV light resistant as the one that replaced it (I wanted 100%, not 93%).

One of the "Color of the King" bottles has a small palladium disk imbedded in the glass at the rear and has no number etched in the front - under that disk is a mid-grade diamond carved into the letter "N". A similar stunt was pulled with the "Red Oak Garnet" bottles, each of which had a garnet imbedded in the glass and a pure silver oak leaf overlaid beneath it as if the garnet stone were a mere acorn. Glass is hard to work with that way - and eventually unexpected cracking and chipping discouraged me. There are also two bottles that have glow in the dark caps that state "Redeemable - 1 - Gallon" and a serial number - which have never been claimed!!

So - dark and high contrast, dark and standard contrast and properties, or periwinkel?

Decisions, decisions.

In a perfect world, I want standard Noodler's Purple on bulletproof steroids, lol. I like the purple. I like Baystate Blue. I have the Concord Grape. I'm not afraid to use the 1940's style formula inks, I'm all for them. However, I really want a nice purple bulletproof with archival qualities. If I have to settle for less contrast to get bulletproof/archival, I would, though I wouldn't mind that 1940's everything-and-the-kitchen-sink ink, too. I'd find a pen that loved it. :)

I couldn't fully appreciate the Russian inks, I suppose, because I don't have any blacklight sources. They are vibrant under standard lighting, so under black light, I imagine they really stand out.

Nathan, if I win the lotto any time soon, I'll be making a substantial investment in your company, lol. I just want it all, I guess.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

A bp Wampum (whatever its composition) would be spectacular! I use Bay State Blue in a couple of pens and have no complaints at all. Love how vibrant it is. Concord Grape is on my to-buy list, but I love Wampum's deeper richer hue.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Very cool!

I've been looking for a very dark purple without magenta/red/burgundy undertones -- I just stated elsewhere more like a Zhivago in purple. Not so much vibrant as dark -- and more bluish than reddish, but actually reading more blackish. While Purple Martin and PR ebony purple are on my list to try, near-bulletproofness would be a nice extra, as I've been tending toward using the more water-resistant inks lately.

(Periwinkle is pretty, but I guess my own eye registers enough inks out there that are near enough, should I be looking for that shade.)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Dag Nabbit. It's not my bottle that's for sure!! I would have gone for 1 gallon of ink, that'd be insane!

p.s. I have bottle #3

-penguin

Edited by penguinmaster