Pelikan M600 Old Style

diplomat

Hello,

This time I'd like to introduce you to my M600 old style.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1926/dsc7902yg1.jpg

As you can see from the pics I have several Pelikan in M200/M400 size:

- Modern White tortoiseshell

- 80’s Green striped

- Citroenpens

Plus a M100 (To be confirmed? Here are pics if someone can help! ) a 140 and a M800 not shown here. The best writer is nonetheless is my Black M600 “Old Style”. I guess it is from the early 90s since the mark on the cap is Germany and not W. Germany.

1. First Impressions - 3/5

When first I received it from Germany I was disappointed. Because of my ignorance I expected a bigger pen than the M400 size. Then I researched and learned that this is the way it used to be until 1997. Same size of the M400, only more trim. Now that I have the M800, I find it more comfortable to write and to carry around in meetings for my work. Surprise

2. Appearance & Finish - 4/5

The appearance of a Pelikan is a matter of “like it” or “hate it”. I love it, great quality, super reliable, great piston action. Black/Gold is classic. The hardware is super and I especially like engraved bird on the top, that makes instantly “cheap” even my M800 with the printed one. Luxury but not flashy.

3. Design, Size & Weight - 4/5

As I mentioned before I really like the design feature of the classic Pelikan design: proportions, screw cap, changeable nib, ink window, piston knob… every detail is a classic in pen design. I have (rather) big hands being tall. However, I find the size of the M600 just right. It’s not a “desk” pen, but a pen to carry (in pocket or sticky to the notepad/journal) all day long. Timeless.

4. Nib design & performance - 5/5

Here came the second surprise. I think the nib it’s not the original one. The appearance of it makes me think to a M200 rather than a classier pen. And the lack of any 14k print it’s revealing. Nevertheless it’s one of the smoothest nib I have. By far better of my M800 (again a B nib). It’s a broad, and it’s wet but not too much. By gently side the point I am able to have a thinner line, and the ink never go out “too much” leaving the “spot” in the words. Butter

5. Filling system - 5/5

Nothing to add here. FP should be piston filler, just like pasta should be Italian. And Pelikan is the Barilla of the piston fillers: high capacity, smooth action, durability, easy to clean with the removable nib. Loaded

6. Cost/Value - 3/5

Ok, at 79€ it’s not a “steal” nor a “big deal”. But it’s worth it in my mind!! Happiness at a reasonable price

New and old logo...

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1088/dsc7910gb3.jpg

Piston knobs...

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3456/dsc7914kt9.jpg

Full pens...

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/977/dsc7904wd6.jpg

Ciao and thanks!

Andrea

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• ballboy

• Ondina

• andyk

Hi Andrea, congratulations on the M600 Olds style. Is a beautiful and durable pen, and very elegant. The nib, should be a bicolor marked 14K and the size, plus a small right hand side mark "PF" that stands for Pelikan made, non Bock ones. By your description the one it came with the pen could be a gold plated one.

www.richardspens.com has pictures of who the nib should look like -same as the Toledo 700 ones-.

Anyhow, if you're happy with the pen, and wish to get the original nib, he sells them, as well as Pelikan Germany. (Too bad for the seller, though, he should have specified it). In the forum you will find many Users of M200's that find the gold plated nibs even more pleasant than the gold ones.

Maybe Piembi, a member here, can chime in and tell us more about the dates of the pen.

Nice one! A classic.

Hi,

Congratulations on a good find I also have one of these that I bought for a good price on ebay, sold (and bought) as an M400 with an 18ct nib, have always been very happy with the pen, writes well and looks great and didn't discover it was an old style M600 until a couple of years after I bought it.

I must admit I thought that the 'standard' nib for these was a bi-colour 18ct, see link below, but as the various nibs are pretty interchangeable, I guess any pen might come with whatever fits in it.

http://www.nibs.com/PelikanNibsAvailableForCusto.htm

Andy

Thank you both for your kind answers.

• 1 My nib is definitley a single tone, with no inscription of carat. Therefore I think it's a M200 steel. What I found interesting in the link Andy provided, is that also gold nibs exists without any carat inscription (#7 of the list). Or - at least - this is what I can see. This would explain the "smoothness" of the point.
  • 2 So far I am not interested to purchase the original one, I have several interchangeable nibs for M400 sized pelikans. What I'd like is to buy a binderized (or from other nibmeister) nib. I like italics point.
  • 3 Ondina, your remark on the PF mark is interesting: is this valid for all Pelikan made nibs, even the recent one, or just the old ones? I know Bock nibs was a parenthesis of few years in a general home production. Where should it stay? on the edge of the nib where it bends around the feed?

Thank you again.

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 3 Ondina, your remark on the PF mark is interesting: is this valid for all Pelikan made nibs, even the recent one, or just the old ones? I know Bock nibs was a parenthesis of few years in a general home production. Where should it stay? on the edge of the nib where it bends around the feed?

Yes, exactly. Mine is within a circle. Bock has been the common manuacturer for the nibs in the latest years. I don't know if the ones of present Toledos are made still by Pelikan or they are also Bock.

I did not know that Pelikan issued any gold non-marked nibs, like some Sheaffers. But is true that by the pic, it looks like it.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just read your review. Thank you. It is great. I owne an oldstyle M600, too.

A hint for the nib question:

If no marking of carat is on your nib it is definitely a steel nib. All one tone gold nibs are marked. Another hint is that steel nibs have no engraved lines leading to the point, the one tone gold nibs have them.

Hi great review, I own three old style M600s including a red one from the late 1980s with W. Germany on the cap.

I have noticed that the old style M600's were available in both 18k gold two tone nibs and 14k single tone (yellow)nibs. I know because the red M600 has a broad/stub nib with some nice flex. Now the single tone gold nibs have the same engraving as the two tone. The gold plated nibs do not have this.

Either way, replacement nibs are not that hard to come by. Check out John Mottishaw's site, Rick Propas might have a few and if you're in Europe, there has to be a seller who has them.

PS,

Nice pictures.

Edited by Bill Smith

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Andrea B), which size of Pelikan would be most comparable with an Aurora Optima?. I have an Optima in black/GT and wonder which Pelikan in same or similar finish would make a nice German companion for it.

Oh, and by the way, it's you and your pen pics & info that's got me into the Aurora Arena, :ninja:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Andrea B), which size of Pelikan would be most comparable with an Aurora Optima?. I have an Optima in black/GT and wonder which Pelikan in same or similar finish would make a nice German companion for it.

Oh, and by the way, it's you and your pen pics & info that's got me into the Aurora Arena, :ninja:

Ballboy, thank you for mentioning that. I am glad to help people to find the way!

As for the size, I'd say that the Optima is more comparable in girth to an M800 but in length to a (modern) M600. The M800 overall is closer to the Optima for finishes and weight. Pelikans and Aurora are my two preferred modern fountain pens producers.

Ciao, A.

Aw, thanks so much Andrea :thumbup:

I shall go to my local B&M store to handle the M600 & M800; it's been a long time since I tried the Pelikans there. But first, to wait for that promisingly beautiful Optima!

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 9 months later...