Wahl Eversharp Skyline-review

goodguy

While going through some pens that were left in drawers I stumbled upon a pen I completely forgot about. A Wahl Eversharp Skyline.

This was one of the first pens I bought and about a year ago I had it fully restored.

I used to use it a lot but since I got my Paragon it has been forgotten.

I thought it would be a good pen to sell as I need money for my next purchase so I decided to check the pen before posting it and the moment I put the pen in my hand and then on paper I knew I will not sell it, I simply can’t.

Ok let’s back up and start from the beginning Eversharp made a lot of money producing this pen and anyone that owns this pen understand why.

The shape of this pen is unique and the nib makes this deal a true wonderful experience.

This is a lever filler pen. The simple, proven and reliable filler is just perfect to this pen. It holds more then enough ink for everyday needs.

The GF cap is fat and looks very different then other pens from that era. I find the design to be unique and beautiful, how sad that Eversharp that once was one of the big pen companies has vanished to the pages of the history, I am sure if they were still around we would get some real good pens from the USA.

The barrel has a little step about 1.5 cm bellow the threads. This makes the grip on the pen excellent. The pen is light weight and well balanced.

The 14K fine nib is a wonderful marvel of engineering. It brings the flex into my world again. Even though this is not a wet noodle this nib is definitely flexible and can produce a different variety of lines very easy with just a nit of pressure.

The nib is very smooth and responsive.

Now I am asking myself why the heck did I through this wonderful pen to a drawer and forgot about it. This pen is a perfect user and I think people should notice it more. You can get this pen for 35$ on eBay and unless a truck drove owner it it shouldn’t be a lot of work replacing the sac in it and you have a true vintage pen that gives you the quality of forgotten days.

post-2027-1211339466_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1211339492_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• goodguy

• framebaer

• Robert Hughes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello goodguy,

this is one of my favorite vintage FP and definitely one i use in my rotation. mine is the striped cap.

you know you won't be sorry you kept it!!!

these are (terrible) pics. of mine.

OK, i can't get pics loaded... oh well!!! :blush:

Edited by lovemy51

I have been using FP's for 50 years. For some reason the Art Deco appearance of the Skyline never really appealed to me, and I only got my first one earlier this year. Once I inked it and started to write with it, I realized that I had simply cheated myself out of many years of pleasant writing with an excellent pen. I promptly obtained two more, and all three of them write superbly. I have even grown to like the aesthetics of the design. Better late than never, I guess.

I've owned four Skylines at one time or other - gave one demi away as a gift, have one dark blue plastic, a gray with metal cap, and a Frankenpen with beautiful striped cap and a non-original "Warranted" 14k nib.

My blue one works perfectly after receiving a new sac. The gray / metal one has never performed; it's so dry, I can't get it to flow. The Frankenpen is good & wet, but it's not really a Skyline, merely an Eversharp body & cap with unknown innards.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

here are some terrible pictures of my skiline. now i own two eversharp (the other one in the pic is a symphony), and i'm very happy to have them.

uh huh, oh yeah.

Got bit by that skyline bug years ago :happyberet: :happyberet:

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Great Pictures everyone - thank you for making my early Sunday morning.

Let's not forget the designer - Henry Dreyfuss...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/wahl%20eversharp%20pens/DSC_0022.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/train%20tracks/20th_ph1.jpg

A little background here: http://munsonpens.wordpress.com/category/wahl-eversharp/

You are right Goodguy, these are often overlooked and overshadowed, but need not be.

uh huh, oh yeah.

Got bit by that skyline bug years ago :happyberet: :happyberet:

:puddle: X 30

Edited by lovemy51

• 11 months later...

Need to add I like this pen so much I actualy bought another one, an all black model.

Respect to all

I have a burgundy striped cap skyline that I had restored a month or two ago. It is a great writes with good flex. Just got another blue/green striped cap that I have not tried out as of yet.

Fantastic pens

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

Yep! Hands down just about my favorite pen ever. My particular one is quite pedestrian: simple brown plastic all over (and might even be a demi model, as it's not very big). Yet, the thing is the embodiment of "writing by hand." Those young-uns out there have no idea how moving the tactile experience of writing with one of these is. Mine dates from the mid-40s and with a new sac performs .... well, flawlessly. It cost me all of $20 and will never, ever be sold.

All hail old-fashioned engineering!