How To Modify Converter For Short Platinum Pen

a2z

I mentioned in a post earlier today that I had modified a converter to use with my Platinum "short/long" pen. rroossinck suggested that some of you may be interested in this topic, so I will try to explain how the modification is done. (1) Start with a standard Platinum converter, turn the black plastic "stem" counter-clockwise so that the plunger/piston is all the way to the end of the converter, as you would do if you were about to load the pen with ink. (2) Using a small saw or cutting tool of your choosing, cut the black plastic stem so that it only extends 11/32" from the back/metal end of the body of the converter. (3) Put the modified converter in your pen and fill as you normally would, but as you do, you will see that as the converter gets full, the center section of the converter will come out of the back end of your modified converter. Slowly expel some ink until the center section matches up with the "new" shorter end of your converter. The end cap should now fit on your pen. If it doesn't, you can try repeating step (1) and then filing or sanding down the end of the stem (sorry, I am sure I'm using the wrong terminology) until the end cap does fit over the converter. FYI, step (1) is very important [as I found out the hard way the first time I tried this!] because if you don't extend the piston, then you will cut the inner/center "rod" along with the outer section...and the converter won't work because that rod which moves the piston up and down the converter will be too short. I hope this make enough sense that you can try this on your own. I have attached some images which may help, although they are not good images. If you have questions, let me know. The modified piston will not hold as much ink as a non-modified Platinum piston, but I find it preferable to using cartridges. Good luck!

About the photos: The top photo shows the converter after the outer black stem has been cut. (Unfortunately, I don't have an uncut converter handy for a "before" image.) In the top photo, the piston is extended down to the end of the converter. The middle photo shows the converter with the piston fully retracted so that the center rod is seen coming out of the end of your shortened converter. (This gives you a sense of the original length of the outer black stem which would be hiding the center rod, had we not shortened the converter.) The bottom photo shows the modified converter in the pen, ready for the end cap which, as you can see form the layout of the photo, will now fit over the converter.

post-7279-1209689513_thumb.jpg

post-7279-1209690295_thumb.jpg

post-7279-1209689585_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamakura-pens

• Dillo

• jacob88huang

• Eccles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you very much for posting this, a2z! I don't think I can do that without sawing off my fingers, but I'm sure there are many handier folks here who really appreciate the info. Thanks again :)

• 5 weeks later...

Did this today for a Platinum long-short and it works like a charm! Many thanks, a2z!!! As to what I used, I scored the converter stem with a pocket knife and used a cheap, serrated steak knife to cut all the way through. Thanks again!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 months later...

The Platinum pocket pen looks very similar to Pilot Elite. Does anybody ever try to fit a Pilot converter (CON-50 ?) on this pen?

The Platinum pocket pen looks very similar to Pilot Elite. Does anybody ever try to fit a Pilot converter (CON-50 ?) on this pen?

Pilot still makes the Con20 that fits the Elite pens, so there is no need to convert a Pilot converter. However, I guess the question remains though if a Sailor converter can be made to fit the Sailor long/short pens.

Stay Well

RD

http://www.kamakurapens.com/Logo-1.jpg

Dr. Ron L. Dutcher

www.kamakurapens.com

Kamakura Pens on facebook

Hi,

I did one, check Converter

Scroll down in the pictures to the picture of the Sailor short pen and the Professional Gear Slim Mini sitting side by side.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Scroll down in the pictures to the picture of the Sailor short pen and the Professional Gear Slim Mini sitting side by side.

Dillon

Excellent Work!

Thank you!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Dillon

Very impressive work (and professional, too). :thumbup:

Jacob

• 5 years later...

Brilliant! It works like a charm.

My PG-250 pocket pen now has a converter that fits!!!

Thank you so much.

Glenn.

• 6 years later...
On 5/28/2014 at 5:03 PM, Eccles said:

Further searching found this link that works like a charm.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/62058-how-to-modify-converter-for-short-platinum-pen/

It only took a few moments to trim the knob and my pen now has a working converter fitted.

Glenn.

That link happens to be the link to this very page.  😉😄

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

That link happens to be the link to this very page.  😉😄

Not reading a thread from the beginning is a regular occurrence. In this case, didn't even take the time to read the Title.

Add lightness and simplicate.