Omas Paragon HT (old style) vs Omas Ogiva HT Guilloche

goodguy

The time has come for the ultimate showdown, the battle of the titans its all or nothing and the crowd is going nuts.

Ok I exaggerated a bit. But for me it’s a big deal.

After such a long time of worshiping my Omas Paragon as the best writer I have a new guy came to town and unsurprisingly it’s a member from the same family.

Both pens share a lot in common, exactly the same nib only the Ogiva’s nib has a medium nib and the Paragon’s nib is fine in size.

The nibs are 18K gold iridium plated, they are wonderingly smooth and has just the right amount of spring to them.

Both pens are piston fillers and hold a very large amount of ink in them. They are also light weight for a pen their size.

The Ogiva is slightly longer then the Paragon but it really is negligible.

The pens are black with HT trim and Greek key trim on their caps.

Clips are also identical when the roller on the Ogiva is either a black plastic roller or some metal that was painted black. On the Paragon the roller is just a metal roller.

The esthetics of the pens is always a very personal issue but I find both pens not to be attention grabbers with their black bodies. I love the Paragon’s faced body and the Ogiva’s Guilloche body but I guess if I had to choose I’d say the Paragon’s faced body is more interesting and I like it slightly better.

The pistons on both pens feels also close but the one the Ogiva is much smoother but they both have a plasticy feeling. Altogether these pistons are very reliable and as mentioned take a lot of ink.

The Paragon’s section is slightly slimmer then the Ogiva’s and I like that. I find the Ogiva’s section just a bit to fat to be as good as the Paragon. I need to add it’s not fat in anyway but for my hands I find the Paragon’s section better suiting my hands.

As mentioned both pens are light weight and I honestly cant find weight differences between the 2 pens and the same is with their wonderful balance, these pens feels other then the sections very similar in the hand.

Ok so now we are at the last and most important issue how do the nibs feel on paper. Well as you can expect the difference is very small, both nibs are so sweet that I find it hard to choose a winner but there are few differences.

The Ogiva’s nib in comparison to other nibs is smooth but when compared to the Paragon it is just a bit rougher. The difference is extremely small but its there when you move from one pen to the other. The Paragon’s nib is also just a bit juicier and it gives you just a tad more feedback then the Ogiva.

The resulting writing on the paper is to my surprise identical. I thought the M and F nibs wrote and felt very very close but now I see the lines they produce really are identical. I have no idea what either Bock or Omas is doing with these nibs but I don’t see any difference between their M and F nibs.

Verdict (drum roll please)

So as much as I wanted both pens to feel and be identical in how they felt and wrote I know in my heart I have a winner. Yes it is still the Paragon.

It fells just a bit more comfortable in the hand, it looks just a bit more interesting and the nib is just a bit more responsive and juicier so it looks like my Paragon kept its title as the BEST WRTIER EVER in my collection but be sure I will use both pens and the only problem in the morning when I wake up will be which honey will I need to take to work today with me.

post-2027-1208705451_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208705465_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208705487_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208705510_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Lloyd

• corazon

• youstruckgold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You state that they're iridium plated but, if I'm not mistaken, they're rhodium plated.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Pardon me my ignorance here, but this must be the old style Paragon? My Paragon is a lot thicker and than my Ogiva Guilloche and almost 1/4" longer.

Bart

Classic Pen LM1/Esterbrook B/Edison Herald/Krone Laminato SF/Lepine Winston/Lamy Safari/Monteverde Insignia/Omas Paragon/Ogiva Guilloche/Parker Sonnet Moonbeam/Pelikan M800/M1000/Pilot Prera

Retro 51 88/Rotring 600 Lava/Sailor 1911 Dragonfly/Professional Gear/1911 Color/Sheaffer Prelude

Signum Python/Stipula Etruria Amber/Taccia Mother of Pearl/Visconti Opera Club/Divine Proportion LE/Midnight Voyager/Waterman Expert/Charleston/Phileas/Wing Sung #235,237,322

You state that they're iridium plated but, if I'm not mistaken, they're rhodium plated.

:ltcapd: Sorry but you must excuse my ignirence.My knolage in metalurgy is limited.Either one is ok with me.

Respect to all

Pardon me my ignorance here, but this must be the old style Paragon? My Paragon is a lot thicker and than my Ogiva Guilloche and almost 1/4" longer.

Bart

Yes its the old style Paragon.

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

Fantastic! I asked and you delivered! Great review!

Now next question, if we're going paragon, what about celluloid?

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png