Parker Stripped Duofold-review

goodguy

This pen is an old friend of mine. I bought it about 4 years ago in the first Toronto pen show I attended. It cost me then 100$ (can) and I always felt its one of my best buys

The Stripped Duofold is mechanically identical to the Parker Vacumatic. The differences are small and are mostly in design and colors.

It uses the Vacumatic filling mechanism and is the same size as the Vacumatic standard.

It has a different clip. The Vacumatic has the famous arrow shape clip while the Stripped Duofold has the older style clip that Parker used to put on the Challenger.

I am not trying to compare these 2 pens but more to use the Vacumatic as reference since it’s quite obvious the Stripped Duofold is based to the Vacumatic.

As all these old pens the Stripped Duofold is light weight. It is well made and looks great for a 70 years old pen. When people say “they don’t make them as they used too” I think I know what they mean looking at this classic design. It has a black jewel at the top and a blind cap at the bottom. Once you unscrew the blind cap you find the classic Vacumatic plastic button.

The pen holds a fair amount of ink and if you hold the pen to the sun or other light source you can see through the ink chamber and know how much ink you still have just like the Vacumatic.

The pen has colorful stripes going from top to bottom (or from bottom to top :ltcapd: ). The colors range from silver to blue with touches of brown which makes this pen to be very striking to look at. It’s got a nice gold plated ring on the cap and a blue diamond on the gold plated clip.

The nib is a simple looking nib and this one has a fine point.

This pen isn’t just a looker but also a fabulous writer. Its what I like to call an eager nib, it likes to leave a nice wet line without hesitation even if the pen was unused to a week.

It’s a smooth writer and connects you to the paper just like most of the vintage Parker pens do. The nib is stiff with just a hint of spring to it. As most of my pens I don’t use it a lot but I definitely use it more then my other pens. My only issue with this pen and the Vacumatic its size is that it is a bit too small and slim for my hands, it’s not really small but I personally like big or even oversize pens so this one is just a bit too small for my liking.

As I see it this pen is a classic vintage Parker. You can see why Parker was so big, they simply made great pens both to look at and to use :cloud9: .

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Shelley

• Rufus

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodguy, another good review. You paid C$100 for this pen... what a heck of a bargain, we'll have to call you son-of-sumgai. I haven't seen this pen before in your collection, please bring it to the 19 April meeting; you've got me drooling.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Goodguy, another good review. You paid C$100 for this pen... what a heck of a bargain, we'll have to call you son-of-sumgai. I haven't seen this pen before in your collection, please bring it to the 19 April meeting; you've got me drooling.

This looks like the begining of a beautiful friendship :bunny01: .

No problemo.I cant wait for the 19th,I am like a little kid waiting to go to Disney Land when it comes to these monthly pen meetings :cloud9:

Did you ever see my Parker VP collection ? I am especialy proud of it since I ahve all colours ever made (only 4 :ltcapd: ) and its a really neet pen model with a special (problematic filler).

Respect to all

Thts a very nice version you have there-the clip looks amazing!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475