Sheaffer Red - Cartridge

punch

What follows is an example of Sheaffer Scrip ink from Slovenia written on a Rhodia pad. This is an excellent red, deeply saturated and free flowing. It goes on wet, yet seems to be compatible with most papers that I have used it with, including the horrid cheap copy paper we use at work. I use this ink for making markups to work orders. In that capacity, I use a Sheaffer Prelude with a Fine nib, which darkens the color of the ink somewhat. The setup below is used for recording blood pressure in my journal, particularly when it exceeds 150/90, which it has been doing quite a bit lately. The color is nearly dead on with my monitor.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/ksdowdy/scan0004.jpg

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• limesally

• punch

• Ondina

• ethernautrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. I have PR Fiesta Red, which I like, and I've just received samples of Diamine Monaco Red and Noodlers Tiananmen. My plan was to find a staple red ink among those three. Based on this review I'll have to add Sheaffer Red to the test list.

Thanks.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

That is a pretty and vibrant red. I love the Diamine Monaco Red, which is less fiery. I also like the PR Fiesta. I think I've been dismissive of Sheaffer inks (the black tends to bleed through, if I remember correctly), but this red is very pleasing.

edit: Oops, bad manners, me. Thanks for the review!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Good review. I got a sample cartridge with some pen and tried it a while ago. My ink notebook and your scan are very close.

I haven't bought a bottle only because it is also quite close to Levenger Cardinal Red, of which I have nearly half a bottle remaining. (I don't use much red, it might last years.)

Superb color and flow. Sheaffer red is the best red I've seen or written with. I'd suggest, Punch, that you buy a bottle. The design is quite nice, and they look cool in contrast next to the Private Reserve bottles.

As for the blood pressure, you need to take a few days off work and play with your pens. That's sure to reduce your stress and drop it a few digits. Seriously, though, get that checked out. I hear once they put you on the meds, you can't really stop taking them. And I, for one, want to keep hearing from you on FPN. :thumbup:

All the best,

PTR

Very nice - I like it! I remember liking the old Skrip red, but in all seriousness don't *really* remember what it looked like in comparison. This looks very nice, though.

Do you have any other reds to compare it to? I have Waterman red at the moment and do like it, but your scan makes Skrip look deeper and bit cooler.

limesally,

The old Sheaffer Skrip Red is paler, more magenta-leaning and much less well-behaved on bad paper than the new one. I've used both. The old one was chemically incompatible for mixing, while the new one plays well with most inks. I can't comment on pen-staining.

Waterman Red is a little (but only a little) on the orange side of the "center" of red, while new SSR is almost at the center. I see a faint trace of orange in new SSR when the ink has been in a pen too long, but some FPN members do not report noticing any orange in it. Member juhtolv has reported that some cheap paper turns new SSR orange, but I haven't had to write on that paper. Compared to the really orangish reds (Pelikan and Lamy), both WR and new SSR look center-spectrum. WR might provide a little more lubrication than SSR during writing, but SSR does provide a little. SSR does better on bad paper than WR.

Thank you for the comparative analysis! I've noticed that Waterman Red gets redder - less orange, I mean - after a few days. I do really like the look of this Skrip Red, though, and it does seem more red, so to speak. And good behaviour on bad paper is always a plus :)

I have not tried too many reds for the reason that most "reds" look very orange to me. This is the only red that I have purchased in quantity, and it only in cartridges. I don't use red a lot to write with, but use it mainly as a highlighter or correction ink. The above posters are correct - the ink works very well on poor paper.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

I use the bottled version of this in a 51 Special for highlighting at work-- the colour on my monitor is almost indistinguishable from that on the piece of paper in front of me. I concur that it is a deeply pleasing and true red, and I add to the recommendations for it.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg