Mont Blanc British Racing Green

Blade Runner

Once again I apologize for my inept photographs, but the ink color is hard to capture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_3121.jpg

And a closer shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_3123.jpg

I should mention the flow is very good.

The price at the Brick and Mortar was $10.50 for 50ml.

If you are looking for a bright leafy green, this isn't it. But if you are looking

for a black-green or dark olive drab green, you've found it. I love this ink.

Regards,

Jeen

Edited by jeen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric.zamir

• krz

• Bill

• Blade Runner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wholeheartedly agree! It's great. I've been using it in cartridges since shortly after its release. While it's not waterproof, it is quite water resistant. Very nice ink!

Edited by jmk

JMK,

It's good to know about the water resistance.

What's interesting about this ink color is that it is both sedate (does not shout at you) and non-traditional (not blue or black).

I find the color soothing (reminding me of the woods) and the contrast on white and ecru paper is excellent.

This is my first non blue or black favorite ink! :)

Regards,

J

Thanks for the review, Jeen. I've been looking for the right green for some time (PR's 'Avacado' [sic] is too vivid for me; Herbin Vert Olive is too pale), and this might just be The One.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Hi Jeen,

Thanks for the review.It looks great i like the looks and intensity of this ink.If i can find it it would be nice.

Thanks

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

• 2 months later...

Bryan,

The color doesn't match the green of British racing cars, but I love this ink!

It's one of my all time favorites and use it all the time.

I did a brief review of it too when it first came out

Any chance you have MB Sepia? I'd love to see how it looks.

Regards,

J

The name comes from all those nifty little British sports cars.. Jags, MGs, Triumphs, Minis... they came in 'British Racing Green' as a color option (my Dad had an MG T-D in Brit Racing Green before I was even a twinkle in his eye. Never saw it, but saw lots of pics! :drool:) It was like this one:

http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/MG_TD_50_Green.jpg

Does this ink come in cartridges too or just bottles? I would like to buy him some for the nostalgia :D

Thanks for the review!!

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Hi Jeen,

I didn't realize you had already done a review of this ink. I merged my review into your thread...

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Thanks for the review Bryan! I like that shade. Nice pics too Jeen.

A few years back I rebuilt my little old '67 Austin Healy Sprite (Yellow). I then drove it across the desert in the summertime from Las Vegas to Santa Barbara CA.

Right before my destination exit my fanbelt broke. I pulled off the highway and did a little McGuiver mechanics.

I drove on into Goleta to Moss Motors and some of their guys came out to see my little car because I opened the hood.

They all broke out laughing and they gave me a little Austin Healy pin because I had used my leather belt as a fanbelt. I had cut off a strip, soaked it in water and tied it on tight enough to get me the 5 miles into Goleta.

When they gave me the pin they told me; "An MG driver would have towed it in, but the Austin Healy driver always drives it in." :D

They also had a pristine "MG T-D" in their showroom, that's one of my favorites too.

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Good story krz! Do you still have that car?? Pics are always welcome! :D

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Does this ink come in cartridges too or just bottles? I would like to buy him some for the nostalgia :D

Thanks for the review!!

Hi, Marina, the 'Racing Green' comes in both bottles and carts, but it definitely does not resemble the British car racing green. The MB ink is rather olive in tone, and quite nice for itself.

There never was a standard British Racing Green, as privately-owned racing teams in the 1950s and early 1960s all had their own interpretation of the colour. Aston Martin for instance alternated between a colour similar to PR Avacado and a light metallic green. The same applies to Italian Racing Red ("Corso Rosso"), as typified by Maserati's dark red and Ferrari's brilliant red.

However, the most successful of British sports racers of the period, the Jaguar C-Types and D-Types had a colour very similar to Montblanc's interpretation. IMO, it's not a great colour for a piece of racing machinery (Marina's MG TD is a much nicer colour!), but it could be pretty good as an ink!

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4338/dtype2ud.jpg

...my little old '67 Austin Healy Sprite...did a little McGuiver mechanics.

..."An MG driver would have towed it in, but the Austin Healy driver always drives it in."  :D

If you owned a British sports car you HAD to be like McGuyver!

After my muscle-car phase, I got into sports cars. I had a 1966 MGB (BRG, of course) that I was underneath more than I was inside. My brother (a Sprite owner who actually survived a high speed roll over in another "B") and I had to pull the engine to replace the flywheel and a couple of seals, especially after I used 6 quarts of oil to go 10 miles!

But the 1964 Triumph TR-4 was the best. If I hit a bump the electrics (lights, instruments) would often go out. I got tired of replacing the headlight switch and instead turned them on by clipping together two aligator clip leads that dangled under the instrument panel. When it rained, my left pant leg got soaked. I carried a piece of plastic in case I was wearing good pants. The trunk (boot) was so damp that hardware on luggage would have surface rust in two days. The heater and the top were so useless that even in cold weather I would use the tonneau cover. My feet were warm and my head icy. I learned the value of a big scarf. I always carried tools and spare parts on trips.

Yet for a period between two marriages, it was my only car (I did have a motorcycle) and I happily drove it daily and even took it on a 2000-mile trip.

And KRZ, I never had one towed, not even the MG ;-)

And to keep the post on topic, I'm going to the "Mont Blanc" store in Orlando today. This green ink is on my shopping list.

Bill

[edited for typo and additional comment]

Edited by Bill

There never was a standard British Racing Green, as privately-owned racing teams in the 1950s and early 1960s all had their own interpretation of the colour. Aston Martin for instance alternated between a colour similar to PR Avacado and a light metallic green. The same applies to Italian Racing Red ("Corso Rosso"), as typified by Maserati's dark red and Ferrari's brilliant red.

However, the most successful of British sports racers of the period, the Jaguar C-Types and D-Types had a colour very similar to Montblanc's interpretation. IMO, it's not a great colour for a piece of racing machinery (Marina's MG TD is a much nicer colour!), but it could be pretty good as an ink!

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4338/dtype2ud.jpg

Richard,

I stand corrected.

The colors are indeed pretty close!

Very cool. Thanks for showing this fabulous car.

J

Hi Jeen, nothing to correct, really! BRG can be whatever you want it to be - as long as it's green-ish ;)

And thanks for showing this ink - it may just get me to buy my first MB ink in years; their Black (thin and weak) was enough to turn me off forever. This, however looks great, rather like Noodler's Sequoia, which I like very much. :D

Good story krz! Do you still have that car?? Pics are always welcome! :D

No M4R1N4 I sold "Woodstock". After rebuilding just about every thing, and just when I was ready to paint it and put the new top on. It turned into a real voodoo car. I had 6 people hit me in one years time, 2 of them while it was sitting still, once in a parking lot they spun me clean around.

I tried to mend my broken heart with a Honda Del Sol convertable, but it just wasn't the same :(.

I don't have pics of mine here , but it looked like this:

post-35-1141263200_thumb.jpg

If you owned a British sports car you HAD to be like McGuyver!

So true Bill! :D Oh yes, Lucas electronics (the prince of Darkness). B)

My fallback machine was a MC too, but since I'm a glutin for punishment my Motorcycle back then was a British Norton Commando '71 :doh:

I've since sold my Harley but kept that Norton :)

RichardS very true, many shades of Brit. Racing Green.

Bill, where do you get your Montblanc ink at (here in central FLA) ? I think the Office Depots only carry the Blue (which I don't like), but I would like to get some of the Racing Green :D

Wow, thats very cool krz! Too bad you had some rough luck with it. Thanks for finding the pics though!

Those little British cars are too neato...

- Socrates

Bill, where do you get your Montblanc ink at (here in central FLA) ?

I bought some today at a tiny luxury pen store called St. Hubert next to Blooomingdale's on the first floor of Mall at Millenia (suggested by JRGMD). The green came from a drawer that appeared to have 12-15 Mont Blanc ink boxes. When I asked for the turquoise, the gentleman in the store pulled an empty out of the drawer but the bottle out of a showcase. Last one. The bottles were $10.40 each.

I wouldn't buy a pen there...MSRP all the way ;-) In fact, I heard my wife gasp aloud when she spotted the price tag on one $1000 pen! She had enough trouble with the Omas pens at Tag Heuer "outlet" store.

A couple of days ago, I bought J. Herbin and Pelikan ink at Pearl Artist Supply on 436 (that you suggested previously). And a glass pen with stand and ink in the gift shop at Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine.

We plan to run over to Tampa in the next couple of days (providing we survive tonight's cooking class) and I've already targetted Bills Pen Shop "just in case we happen to be nearby". My wife may be wondering if this is is a pen buying trip or a run to the sun.

Bill