Parker Premier-Review

goodguy

I got this pen about 2 years ago and it’s the only Premier I have.

I was told by the seller the pen is in near mint condition and I paid accordingly, I was glad to see the seller didn’t lie to me the pen is gorgeous with no sign of ever being used.

The Premier was design to be the luxury model based on the simpler Parker 75.

These 2 pens share the same basic design but the Premier is significantly longer. The Premiers ends are flat with what appeared to me to be a black disk or lacquer.

The Parker 75 was and is one of my favorite pens and I like to collect it. The Premier is without a doubt a step up from the 75, you can feel it in how it looks but it also feels more comfortable in the hand. I was always more into big pens so the Premier feels more natural to my hand.

Both pens are perfectly balanced, they are also light weight and in general very easy to get used to.

I find the Parker 75 to have a timeless design and the Premier will loose on this aspect. It is a more eyes catching pen but the timeless design will always go to the 75.

Both pens use C/C filler. I have very little to say about these fillers because they are simple, reliable, somewhat less classic but today’s trend.

Both pens use the same nib and for those who never used a Parker 75 before this is a very good thing. Parker 75 has one of these nibs that you fall in love very easy. Parker made this nib in so many variations that I personally don’t know them all. There are more educated people here at the FPN that I am sure will be able to tell you more.

The nib on this pen is the M 18K and it is a dream of a nib.

It has fare springiness to it but you could say it is about 80% firm. I enjoy this design, it gives you a lot of feedback from the paper while you can put some pressure on the paper and see the tines spread just a bit. Obviously this nib is glass smooth and it’s a proof that Parker knew how to make nibs even after the BP and RB won the war of the hearts of people.

Sadly the Premier didn’t take the swivel action from the 75 so the nib is fixed but nothing is perfect right? I live the swivel nibs of the 75, it is useful and fun to play with.

If any of you want a stunningly beautiful pen from the Parker family I would suggest go for the Premier it is an excellent writer and a looker.

post-2027-1204581235_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581264_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581304_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581328_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581351_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581371_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1204581396_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• upscalebohemian

• goodguy

• Brian

• humblescribbler

Nice. I own this same pen and have only inked it once. I keep meaning to eBay it but so far I've still go it. I'm not terribly fond of the Parker Premier fountain pens because they go dry if you don't use them frequently (at least, that's been my experience, but I believe I've read that from others as well).

My favorite Parker Premier is this same pen but in the Chinese laque finish. I bought it in 1992 and loved it so much I have collected all the other Premiers in the Chinese laque finish (rollerball, ballpoint, mechanical pencil) to accompany it. The facets definitely take it upscale when compared with the Parker 75.

I thought the Parker Premier in Chinese laque would be my favorite pen for all time, but after starting to collect pens I realized it's best (for me) to really splurge on ONE pen that would make all others pale in comparison, and for me that pen is the Omas Paragon in the Arco and Hi-Tech (silver) finish. I love it. It's a thing of beauty and it writes very well, whether I use it daily or don't use it for weeks at a time.

While I just bought a new and unused Omas Bologna Burkina (when it popped up for only $295 on eBay

1. ), that was a special deal to me, and the Omas Paragon in Arco will -- I think -- always be the most special pen I own, but the Parker Premier in Chinese laque was my first fountain pen and is a real beauty, so despite the fact that it goes dry, I can't imagine I'd ever sell it, and I enjoy it even if just for its aesthetics alone.
Edited by upscalebohemian

Nice review of an interesting variation on the 75. Haven't had much experience with this one but like the overall simple design.

• 8 months later...

Oh, and I should add, the Parker Premier nibs DO in fact swivel and they came with a special tool for turning the nibs to get them just where you want them. The downside is that the Premier's (and I believe the 75s) are known for drying out if used infrequently. I gave up on using mine for this reason and all the Parker Premiers (fountain, rollerball, mechanical pencil, and ballpoint) just sit in a nice display box looking pretty (pens are my version of a jewelery collection, I guess).

• 3 months later...
The Premier was design to be the luxury model based on the simpler Parker 75.

These 2 pens share the same basic design but the Premier is significantly longer. The Premiers ends are flat with what appeared to me to be a black disk or lacquer.

The Parker 75 was and is one of my favorite pens and I like to collect it. The Premier is without a doubt a step up from the 75, you can feel it in how it looks but it also feels more comfortable in the hand. I was always more into big pens so the Premier feels more natural to my hand. Sadly the Premier didn’t take the swivel action from the 75 so the nib is fixed but nothing is perfect right? I live the swivel nibs of the 75, it is useful and fun to play with.

If any of you want a stunningly beautiful pen from the Parker family I would suggest go for the Premier it is an excellent writer and a looker.

Thanks for an excellent review. I own a Parker Premier also in the Chinese Lacque and should say have never had an issue with the ink running dry. But I removed the pump converter which needed maybe 3 or 4 pumps and now use carts for this. And like "upscalebohemian" I've also got a model that the section swivels and is the same interchangeable with the Parker 75 section. I don't need the tool that came with to swivel, just my finger pressure is enough. I believe on the Parker75 website they mention the tassie is actually a disc of onyx. I really love this pen for long term writing. The 18k nib is sturdy enough to resist too much pressure (I'm still learning to write at my late middle age!! I press too hard...) but soft/pliable enough to write on most papers I use at work.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got this very pen with a broad nib. It does tend to dry out a little sooner than other pens I own, if I don't use it regularly enough. The weight and balance is quite nice. And that 75 nib is one of the best on the market. Incidentally, you don't need a tool to rotate the nib orientation. I think the tool is to just be sure you don't get ink on your fingers. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...