Parker Laque Green Bronze Insignia

Steven

I do not think of myself as a collector of fountain pens but more of a sucker for a good looking one. The problem is there are lots of good looking pens out there and over the last thirty-five or so years I have amassed quite a pile. When I lived in Boston many years ago it was an easy walk into Broomfield Pen. Now I lurk on the web and when some new model or style comes along that catches my fancy I pounce. Don’t get me wrong I don’t buy every pen I see or I’d be broke and there would be no room in my house, but I bet many of you are inflicted with the same disorder. And that is how I happened upon the Parker Insignia Laque Green Bronze Fountain Pen with fine point.

The Insignia line was introduced in the early 90’s and the model being reviewed here made its debut during the late 90’s and I think the entire line has been discontinued.

First Impressions

Opening a pen box for the first time is always an interesting moment when you have bought something based on pictures. It is either what you expect, or is worse or is better and in this case the pictures did not do this pen justice. This is a beautiful pen that jumps out at you in contrast to the white cloth that the pen was resting on.

Appearance/Finish

The lacquer finish has a rich green gloss marble look that feels smooth and warm. It is applied to the brass barrel and cap. The top of the cap is flat and crowned with a narrow gold plated cover with a ring cut in for style. The clip is also gold plated and designed in a sleeker styling of the Parker arrow that looks very contemporary. Completing the gold trim is the cap band which is gold plated and inscribed with “Parker Insignia USA†and the letters IIIE. I do not know what the karat content of the gold plating is and thus maybe one or you can fill this in.

http://www.ssop.org/misc/pen.jpg

The nib sits in a plastic holder with a threaded brass insert that is screwed into the barrel. The brass insert is designed so that a brass ring separates the barrel/nib holder giving it another small styling detail to further enhance the posted/un-posted look.

Design, Size & Weight

The weight with ink cartridge comes in under 0.8 oz (23 grams). For comparison a Pelikan M400 weighs under 0.53 Oz (15 grams). The follow table gives the dimensions:

Capped: 5.25 inches (13.3 cm)

Posted: 5.85 inches (14.9 cm)

Un-Posted: 4.8 inches (12.2 cm)

Barrel diameter at the nib: 0.36 inches (9 mm)

Cap Diameter at fattest point: 0.48 inches (12.2 mm)

Barrel Diameter at fattest point: 0.43 inches (10.7 mm)

Nib Length: 0.7 inches (17.7 mm)

http://www.ssop.org/misc/Comparrison.jpg

Size Comparison to a Pelikan M600

This pen is heavy for its size giving it a feeling of quality and making it feel bigger than its size would indicate. This pen is also well balanced feeling good both posted and un-posted. Since I write un-posted as nature intended (just kidding) the weight is just enough to let gravity apply the nib pressure while you do the writing.

Filling System

The filling system is strictly Parker’s cartridges or converter. Since I prefer cartridges this is not a detriment and in fact I would have avoided pens that do not accept cartridges except there are too many good looking ones that do. Looks like no Noodler’s Bay State Blue for me in this quill.

Nib Design & Performance

The nib is gold plated steel etched with an understated diamond pattern and inscribed with the words PARKER at the base. I read on the web that these nibs can be removed by unscrewing them and are interchangeable with Parker Sonnet nibs. As of this writing I have not tried to remove the nib to verify this.

http://www.ssop.org/misc/Nib.jpg

Nib Comparison of the Insignia to the Pelikan M600

Selecting one of my favorite cartridges of Parker Quick Blue I pushed one of these loads into the ink receptor feeling for that firm click confirming the ink supply is engaged. After a few quick shakes the first sputter of ink hit the page. Within a few words of writing the ink began to take on the fine rich blue that only the best ink on the planet can deliver (tongue in cheek). The fine nib is firm and glides smoothly over the paper laying down a consistent and not overly wet line. In addition, rapidly drawing swirls the nib delivered without hesitation or skipping. Even the back write (turning the nib to write on the back side) writes smoothly laying down an XX-fine line giving this pen a little more utility when one needs to cram in a few more notes. This pen is a joy to write with.

Samples of writing follows between the Insignia, Pelikan M600

fine nib and a Waterman Phileas medium nib ground to a fine.

http://www.ssop.org/misc/writting.jpg

Cost

This pen is made out of brass with gold plated trim and nib with a nice lacquer finish and I bought it all for around $50.00. Considering the major bucks I have spent for a Mont Blanc 146 made out of precious resign (plastic), or the wonderful mostly plastic Pelikan M600, this pen is a bargain. And now that the Insignia is not made any more it has become an instant classic and true collector’s item and should be worth thousands in the years to come (joke). And I thought I wasn’t a collector.

Conclusion

This is a nice pen, looks good and writes well. For me the size is comfortable but it is towards the narrow side. If you like the larger diameter pens like the Pelikan M600 or larger this pen will not be for you. However for those that enjoy and a slightly narrower write this pen is a joy to use and at a very good price.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shannon

• christob

• Steven

• Martius

I had this pen for a while. And I'll agree that it is beautiful. But the one thing that coninutally bothered me--and the reason I moved it along--was that the pattern on the pen was obviously printed on. Mine had a "seam" down the entire length of the pen where the marbling looked like it had been wrapped around the body and it had met in the middle. That seam alone was enough of a distraction that I felt made the pen look much cheaper than I wanted.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• 1 month later...

This pen is really just a square-ended Sonnet. The section, feed and nib are the same (with a plastic trim ring rather than steel/gold plate). Which pen came first I do not know.

I'll agree that it is beautiful. But the one thing that continutally bothered me--and the reason I moved it along--was that the pattern on the pen was obviously printed on.

Yep, I agree. Most onlookers will never know, but I the owner do. It was quite a letdown when I noticed it.

• 2 years later...

i found that pen at one of the stores that i often go to, when i want to look for FPs for sale, but the price was $100+... its feed feels the same like the sonnet...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/cards_of_fool/handwriting3-1.jpg

if men would write like poets all the time, would we understand them?

• 3 years later...

I find no seam on the green swirl pen I have. I also have two blue pens, gold plated cap, red with gold plated cap and black with gold plated cap. Paid an average of about $25 for them each. These pens can use Sonnet nibs and sections. The three I have used write better than a Sonnet. They write better than a Sonnet whether with Sonnet nibs and sections or with Insignia nibs and sections. The nibs don't seem to dry out like the Sonnets do. The Insignia is cheaper, but it works without drying out overnight, and it comes back faster should it be put down uncapped and dry out.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.