Parker 100-review

goodguy

I got the Parker 100 few days ago and must admit this is the first time I have some many mixed feelings about a pen.

The first thing that I love about this pen is how it looks.I think this pen is gorgeous with its white ivory body and GF cap.The pen feels as if its made of good quality material

Parker took the 51s basic design soopped it up and voila there is the 100.I like the 51 basic design but it is a bit old and the 100's design made is look fresh and trendy without being tacky.

Its a metal pen so it is not a light weight pen,it feels hefty but not too heavy.It has an excellent feeling in the hand,if you like big pens then the 100 is for you.

The filling mechanism is a simple C/C and I guess I got used to that even though piston filler will always be my first option.

The thing that get me confused is the nib.

It is a very smooth M nib that is wet and probably most people would love it.I feel as if its a bit spongy,it doesnt give me the feedback I get from my MB and Omas pens.Dont get me wrong there is feedback but not as much as I like.I know I am a bit finiky but thats how I like my pens.

The one thing I must say is that the more I use the pen the more I like it.It starts right away with no skipping and is simply a good big pen.I am more of a F nib type of guy so I will see what the future will hold for me with this pen.

post-2027-1203631151_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203631159_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203631166_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203631175_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Hennypenny

• Brian

• Ondina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a nice pen and a change of pace from the big black FP (although I love those as well).

On a related note, I wonder what the future holds for Parker since I have read here that they will stop or have already stopped production in the UK. They have had a long and good run with the Duofold, and I am sure there will be much to look forward to from the new manufacturing home in France.

I bought this pen about 8 months ago -- and since then have added the blue/gold and the black/cobalt (also the opal/black, but sold it -- after all, how many P100's should one person own?!). I initially thought it was a nice pen, but not great. Now it's one of my favorites!! These pens grow on you -- they develop a nicer personality and feel with each use !! So get one -- and be sure to use it, even if it doesn't grab you initially.

I much prefer the c/c fill -- so much easier to change ink and/or clean out the pen.

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I bought this pen about 8 months ago -- and since then have added the blue/gold and the black/cobalt (also the opal/black, but sold it -- after all, how many P100's should one person own?!). I initially thought it was a nice pen, but not great. Now it's one of my favorites!! These pens grow on you -- they develop a nicer personality and feel with each use !! So get one -- and be sure to use it, even if it doesn't grab you initially.

I much prefer the c/c fill -- so much easier to change ink and/or clean out the pen.

I feel the same way. This pen does grow on you and bites you in a big way. Even though the pen is all metal, the finish has a warm feeling to it. I think shape of the pen also contributes to the writing experience in the way it goes from wide to narrow as it approaches the nib. This shape is not typical and over time it begins to feel very natural for it allows a finer control of the nib and better support up high where the pen barrel rests between the index finger and thumb intersection. Also the weight of the pen is such that gravity provides all the downward force you need to lay a consistent line. All you need to do is guide it.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I just received this pen a week ago and I'm thrilled with it! It's my first Parker pen :rolleyes:

I was surprised by the heft! It's weighty, but not too heavy in the hand. I got the XF nib since I was still on the hunt for a pen I could use with my check register and not have the ink bleed through the other side. It's been an absolute pleasure to use.

Unfortunately, the day after I got it, a Pilot Custom 742 with falcon nib arrived in the mail. Such a dilemna. I'm doodling even when I don't have anything important to write...just so I can use both pens! I have so many pens inked right now I just rotate which one I use next anyway. Now that I've added the Parker & the Pilot, the problem has gotten worse. :roflmho:

Karen

• 5 months later...

I was surprised by the heft! It's weighty, but not too heavy in the hand. I got the XF nib since I was still on the hunt for a pen I could use with my check register and not have the ink bleed through the other side. It's been an absolute pleasure to use.

Karen: I'm thinking seriously of getting one of these and wanted to check in with you about the weight and heft. I've become accustomed to lighter pens (Pelikan 140, for example), and even my matte black Sonnet only weighs in around 24 grams. After however much time you've been using this pen, does it still feel comfortable in your hand?

Johnny B.

Pelikan 140 (R. Propas restoration)

Pelikan M400 white tortoise with Extra Fine nib customized by Dillon Ang

Pelikan M200 with Binderized broad italic nib

Four Parker 51's

1931 Parker Streamlined Duofold Junior in jet and pearl (R. Propas restoration)

Waterman Laureat in black and deep red marble

Dream Pen: Parker 75 in sterling silver cisele with gold trim