Mont Blanc Cervantes LE-review

goodguy

This is my second Mont Blanc Writers Edition pen so I already knew what to expect when I got the Cervantes.

The box is STUNING!!! Not everybody cares about the box but I find it’s an integral part of the pen especially if it’s a LE pen.

On the box you have Don Quijote and his servant and Sancho Panza standing in front of a wind mill WOW what a nice touch. I applaud the designer of the box-nicely done.

Opening the box and you have the pen and all I can say is this is one of the nicer pens I have seen brown Lacquer on a metal body with GF furniture.The brown colour gives you a nice warm feeling but not in a loud tone as to say HEY LOOK AT ME.It is subtle but yet beautiful.

I took the pen out of the box and the first thing that struck me was how heavy the pen was (we’ll get to this later).

As expected the body is smooth to the touch and the design of the pen is interesting and unique. It is narrow at the bottom and gets bigger in sections while it continues to go up all the way to a thick white star.

The clip is the exact opposite it starts narrow at the top and gets bigger in three sections.

So bottom line as for the design of the pen I think it’s GORGEOUS.

I unscrew the cap and suddenly the pen wasn’t so heavy. This cap is one heavy dude but the pen itself even though it’s not a light weight pen is definitely not too heavy.

Maybe I’m wrong but the cap feels as heavy as the rest of the pen.

The nib is continuing the motif of the Don Quijote theme and has a Wind Mill engraved on it a very nice touch indeed.

I took my brand new Waterman Havana Ink (brown) and filled the pen. I will not add much about the piston filler because it’s typical MB filler, it feels just like my 149/147/VW that means nice, smooth but not as smooth as Pelikan piston.

The pen has a small ink view window and I thick that’s a nice touch that will help me to know when the ink is running out.

The nib is an M 18K nib and very eagerly I put the nib on the paper and started to writer. I felt like a dejavu hit me, didn’t I write with this nib before?

Oh yeh my Virginia Woolf, the engraving might be different but the nib itself feels identical and I am glad it is so. It is Smooth, wet doesn’t skip and start from the moment you put it on the paper (what I call an eager nib).There is a nice feedback from the paper but again not as good as my Omas Paragon (but no nib really is so that’s ok).

The pen is nicely balanced with pretty even weight disprebution.The pen doesn’t feel weird in the hand due to the size increase of the body. I actually didn’t feel it, it’s more of a design issue then a practical one. I didn’t feel as if it changed the writing experience one way or the other.

Bottom line

I am extremely happy I got this pen and it’s definitely aint gonna be my last MB Writer Edition pen. For 675$ it isn’t more expensive then other LE pens and is actually cheaper then the Pelikan Majesty (a wonderful pen of its own).

I would like to add one more thing to those who are afraid to buy a MB pen because all the bad rap you heard from other people. This is my fourth MB pen and they are all wonderful writers. They are not cheap but I would say they cost as much as parallel Viscontis,Pelikans,Omas…etc so not buying a MB pen just because you think it’s more expensive or unreliable is a big mistake. Give this pen a chance (or the Virginia Woolf) and you will see what a wonderful pen this is and what a nice writer it makes in my opinion.

post-2027-1202748906_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202748912_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202748918_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202748925_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202748932_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202748937_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• naniwa46

• mdiaz

• Sharkle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent review! Glad you liked the Cervantes, it's definitely one of the pens I was most drawn to when looking at the MB writers editions.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Lovely pen, Goodguy! And thanks so much for the great review. I love the colors of this pen and the nib is a beauty. I also like an ink window, and never bothered to check if any the MB Writer's series pens had them. Good to know that this one does. :)

Another super review goodguy. You're not too bias are you?:P Wow, look at that nib! The Cervantes is a favorite of mine. I'm still trying to justify the Shiller and the Hemingway.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Goodguy, that's a hot pen!!! I've been reading your posts on MBs. Because of you,

I now like MBs. Went to FP Hospital a few days ago and picked myself up a William

Faulkner. I was anticipating a terrible writer but.... Holy S*$t! Nice and smooth. I

also thought the pen would be heavy but not so.

Thanks for your reviews Goodguy.

You know, my wife purchased this pen for me for my birthday last year from our local pen shop and I so disliked the design that I took it back and traded it for a couple of FP's that I had been wanting. It is just me, not the pen. Just not my cup of tea.

So far I have the Agatha Christie, Dickens, and Hemingway in the writer's editions. I think I just am drawn to a more retro look.

The pen is absolutely gorgeous as far as colors and you have to love that nib, but the design just didn't flip my switch. Reminded me of bamboo for some reason.

My sincere congratulations on your acquisition. :thumbup:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Big Cervantes fan, and the windmill on the nib is full of win. Heck, for that, I might even consider a brown pen.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Goodguy, that's a hot pen!!! I've been reading your posts on MBs. Because of you,

I now like MBs. Went to FP Hospital a few days ago and picked myself up a William

Faulkner. I was anticipating a terrible writer but.... Holy S*$t! Nice and smooth. I

Thank you for the kind words.

There is so much prejedism agains MB pens that their pens are looked at as a very expensive piece of S*&T.Once people clear their minds from all that they heard of the company and just try their pens they see MB is making very very good solid pens.

Just like every other pen maker it has it share of lemons but in other makers case people will say oh well I had a bad luck with this specific pen while if somebody will get a bad MB pen it will reflec in his/her eyes on all the rest of the pens MB makes.

I am glad you like the Faulkner its a very nice pen.

What nib did you get ?

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I like the book box it came in! Nice attention to detail in the packaging and pen!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thank you for the kind words.

There is so much prejedism agains MB pens that their pens are looked at as a very expensive piece of S*&T.Once people clear their minds from allthat they heard of the company and just rty their pens they see MB is making very very good solid pens.

Just like every othe rpen maker it has it share of lemons but in other makers case people will say oh well I had a bad luck with this specific pen while if somebody will get a bad MB pen it will reflec in his/her eyes on all the rest of the pens MB makes.

I am glad you like the Faulkner its a very nice pen.

What nib did you get ?

Hey,

I got the Faulkner in fine point. Now after reading your review of the Woolf and Cervantes, I want to get one!

I always wanted the Patron of the Arts "Octavian" FP but couldn't afford it!!

Good review but the ergonomics on that pen leave to be desired (that is my opinion) however the nib is very good.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review and a beautiful pen! I love the writer's editions and am eagerly waiting for the 2008 to be released. (I wonder who it will be?!) :)

I agree but more then who its gonna be I want to know what will the pen look like.If it will be as nice as the VW and Cervantes I will put it first on my drool pen list.

Respect to all

This is a fantastic pen. Congrats'...I love MBs and this pen is one of my favorites...The design is superb!!!

Edited by mdiaz

I just wanted to add that this is ( for me) one of the best LE pens in the MB catalog...And that your review is wonderful...I really enjoyed reading it...

Edited by mdiaz