MONTEVERDE Laguna

fountainpenjunkie

post-5530-1202557013_thumb.jpg

1. First Impressions - I saw this pen on clearance at Swisherpens.com when I was looking to defray the shipping cost of the Noodler's Baystate Blue ink I ordered. The bamboo design and rollerball clip reminded me of my Bexley 2007 Owner's Club. I found the clip on the nib end of the pen and the hooded nib unique design features appealing. The pen arrived quickly and well packed. Out of the unique box, the threaded end for cap posting looked like a design error. It is just a threaded post at the end of the pen. Odd, like the end of an anodized bolt sticking 1/4" out of the bottom of the pen.

post-5530-1202557857_thumb.jpg

2. Appearance & Finish - The pen is well made. Midnight Black and chrome trim is just that, and quite to my liking. The resin is unpolished in the joints and adds a nice contrast to the polished sections.

3. Design/ Size/Weight- From the Swisherpens site; "pen has a hooded German nib with an Iridium tip. Pens are hand-made from Italian resins and is bamboo shaped for a unique ergonomic experience. DIMENSIONS: CAPPED 4 7/8" POSTED 5 5/8" DIAMETER 1/2"

post-5530-1202557958_thumb.jpg

4. Nib Design & Performance- The medium nib has a little flex and puts ink down well.

5. The Filling System- Accepts international short ink cartridges, converter. Came with three cartridges, but I plugged in the converter and filled it about a third with ink. Good firm fit into the section and a reassuringly tight movement of the knob on the converter.

6. Cost/Value- On clearance for $45.00 (reg $75). Most of the reason I pulled the trigger on this pen was my good experience with the Regatta. I would have paid $75 for the pen for the design alone.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion-

What are your OVERALL feelings towards this pen? I really like it and plan to take it to work. I like the size and weight, it has a significant feel to it but not too heavy.

Did it live up to its hype? No previous reviews here, no hype. I was drawn to the design and the discount.

How does this pen compare to other pens you bought in the past. The Regatta seems like a better value and I REALLY like that design.

Did you have any issues, small or large? The cap unscrewed with friction and I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have a devil of a time threading the cap back on. I've done it a few times now and still fear it will cross thread. Removing the nib to install a cartridge or converter took some doing as well, the nib hood, which is to be grasped per the instructions (yes, I had to break those out - because how to open the pen wasn't obvious to me) is chrome and has no texture whatsoever. The result was some trying moments as the hood slipped through my grip and didn't unscrew as the instructions promised. Eventually it started to turn and did come out.

If you could turn back the hands of time, would you have bought the pen or would you have passed on it and bought something else?

No, I like the pen even with it's eccentricities, though that may change if I mis-thread the cap.

I'll give the Monteverde Laguna a cautious recommendation. If you like the design, it looks good posted and it does write.

Edited by fountainpenjunkie

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hennypenny

• fountainpenjunkie

• 3Cat

• Sallent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience with Monteverde has always been good. I had a Regatta that was one of my favorite writters until it fell out of my pocket and landed on the sidewalk as i was leaning over to get something. Needles to say, it was a heart breaking loss. While the metal held up, the resin nob at the end shattered.

Thats one beautiful pen. Congratulations on an excellent find. I would seriously think about buying it. Too bad my pen budget is more than maxed out for the next two months due to a recent shopping spree of Pelikans and vintage pens.

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I have the red version of this pen and I like it a lot. I picked it up for half price, as well, and I must say that the nib was not a good writer out of the box. However, I sent it off to Deb Kinney for stubbing -- she worked her magic and now it's one of the nicest writing nibs I have. Given the good price I got and the pen's stunning looks, it was well worth the price of the pen and the nib work.

This is a must-have pen for those who like the looks of "wrap-around" or Triumph style nibs.

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Nice photo Hennypenny! Is that you and your camera reflected in the chrome band? I like the red! What did Deb charge to modify the nib?

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Wow! What good eyes you have! Yes, that's me and the camera reflected on the band -- I hadn't even noticed that.

I can't remember what Deb charged -- but I think it was $45. I may have sent several pens and gotten a few dollars off. Deb does great work (as do others, of course) and her turn-around time is usually just a few weeks. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

HP

Nice photo Hennypenny! Is that you and your camera reflected in the chrome band? I like the red! What did Deb charge to modify the nib?

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• 2 years later...

I picked up a couple of Lagunas recently at a clearance store. They were such an irresistible bargain that—had they been available—I'd have bought two more!

The look of the pen is great! It's modern, innovative, and distinctive, yet reminiscent of some classic art deco antiques. Rather than the intended bamboo, however, the design first reminded me of a Tootsie Roll. (What could be more fun?)

With its featherweight threaded cap and knob at the end of the barrel, the Laguna is designed for posting—a convenient feature that I really like. I also like the weight, which is a bit heavy for a pen this size, and the balance (posted or not). The semi-hooded nib is sleek and smooth, and it lays down a nice bold wet line.

With one of the new pens, I had difficulty writing out of the box. But to my surprise (and relief) the issue wasn't with the nib or feed channel. It was that the supplied Monteverde standard cartridge was a bit too wide to seat correctly, restricting ink flow. I replaced it with a more tapered Pelikan cartridge, which instantly transformed the pen from barely usable to a flyer. I've already tested a converter, which promises to make life even better.

One design change that I would make is the location of the clip, which is permanently fixed down south, right in the grip area. It might not trouble anyone else, but, because I grasp a pen between my thumbprint and the side of my index finger, the clip can be a hindrance. Still, it's an issue I can deal with when the pen is otherwise such a pleasure.

Edited by 3Cat

great review, thanks. Thats a tremendous design of a pen, quite the looker.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I have a DIVA Lipstick I picked up for 12 bucks that has a similar hooded nib and it writes well. Not all IPGs are worth getting, but Monteverde seems to have nice ones. Nice review!

• 2 years later...

Thank you for sharing.

I have the same pen in blue. It was a quick shop. Because I really like the bamboo shape and I have a Monteverde Prima Brown Swril and I like the nib and quality look of the pen. So I wanted to give it a try.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com