Pelikan M605

KingJoe

First Impressions (7/10)

Very nice size, excellent packaging, wonderful balance

Appearance (8/10)

Almost appears “cheap” for the cost, yet also appears elegant at the same time. Does that make sense? Probably not. It works for me, though! It’s a nice pen, and the blue/rhodium combination is equally at home in any situation. I can carry it in jeans, khakis, or a suit, and it just seems to work. The two-tone nib demands attention when the pen is uncapped in a meeting, but not excessively so.

Design/Size/Weight (9/10)

A little light for it’s size, but a full payload of ink does help this slightly. Easy to write with all day without too much fatigue. The size is about right for my hand, and it’s length to girth ratio is very pleasant. The pen works and balances well posted or unposted.

Nib (4/10)

The medium nib is smooth, but not as much as other 14K nibs I’ve used. Some tooth with certain movements. The flow is very, very heavy, and this pen lays down a wide, wet line. It’s wider than most other mediums, and is probably a Medium and a half to a Medium and three quarters (depending on ink). The user-removable nib is great for cleaning, or going to a different nib size or specialty grind.

Filling System (10/10)

The Pelikan piston-filler is a classic. Not much to say here. It holds a lot of ink, and it works as advertised!

Cost and Value (9/10)

I bought this for $110, which mimics Pam Braun’s price on these new before she sold-out. The used condition of this pen when I received it was just like new, in the box. I’m very happy with it at this price, but I would have been highly disappointed if I had paid the pen’s original retail (in the ballpark of $250). It’s a super pen for ~$110, a high price at $150, and highway robbery at $250, in my opinion.

Conclusion (47/60)

Overall, it filled a need for me. I’m trying to reduce my collection to a handful of pens that fill a niche. One of my spots is reserved for a modern with a high-capacity and gold nib....this pen fits that need. Once I get a Binder-ized F or XF nib for it, I’ll be happy with it. The factory nib, while somewhat smooth and stable, is unacceptable for a pen at this price point. If you can get one for a good price and get a good nib (try it YOURSELF first), go for it! I’m happy to have it, and I’ll be ecstatic when it writes like it should have from the factory.

~~King

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingJoe

• rowdy

• AndyHayes

• manolo

Good review. Thanks for making the effort.

I have much the same thoughts on the pricing and the weight. Mine was a gift though so I can't complain, but th 805 is in a whole different league and they are well worth the $200 I see them selling for here.

Hello.

I got the pen from Pam Braun at approximately the same price. I am usually an M-boy but I thought it was time to get an F and I am very happy with the decision, it's wide for an F but just the thickness I like, and it writes perfectly. I share your opinion about the looks of the plastic, it feels cheaper than I predicted. I hope it is more resilient that it seems!

And also agree with the price. Here in Spain you will pay more than 200 euros for a new Pelikan 600 in a retailer, which I think it is a robbery, but for the 100 bucks it is a very good buy.

enjoy it!

Thoughts on the durability of the M605. I've had mine for about three years and it hasn't been inked for a couple. I'm thinking of it.

When I first got mine I used it for about a year everyday and the finish holds up quite well - unlike the Duofold Black laque that seems to get a scratch from just looking at it:). The finish still looks like new.

This just helped me decide to fill mine up again. Think I'll put the Duofold back in the box.

My thoughts. I'm a medium guy but a coworker uses his all the time and he is happy with the fine nib.

We got ours on clearance at Levenger's a few years ago with the Pelikan pen rest for a stupid price of 100 US.

My thoughts, take care

Rowdy

This just helped me decide to fill mine up again. Think I'll put the Duofold back in the box.

I was probably too harsh on the pen. Even with my disappointment in the nib, it is an excellent pen, and I use it everyday. And I enjoy using it. Guess it can't be that bad, eh? ;-)

Thanks all for your thoughts! I know most of these have been reviewed at length, but I was in a mood for reviewing today.

~~King

They are a great pen. I am a pen ditherer in deciding what to use and between the 605 and my Frontier and Prelude these are the pens that see the most use of all of them. For some odd reason I was poking around in the pen drawer and saw the Duofold box and figured what the heck.

Now what ink to use......decisions, decisions

Take care

Rowdy

My stock med nib has a NARROW sweetspot

Yes, mine does too. It must be held at a certain angle, otherwise it doesn't put any ink down. It's so annoying, I avoid using it. On the other hand, my Pelikan M200 is a pleasure to write with.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

This is another good review, King. Thank you.

As I comment, I must remember that my newest Pelikan Souverain is at least 10 years old. I have a BB nib on my M-600 and it writes a true BB line and is as smmoth as glass. I have heard several complaints about more recent Pelikan nibs, but mostly about the EF nibs (a la Richard Binder). Once you get the nib issue sorted out, I hope the M-600 remains a companion for many years.

The good news is that my newest Pelikan is at least 10 years old. I have a couple Pels that are over 30 years old and they continue to soldier on after decades of use. ("Some of the pens I bought new are now considered vintage.") I have read in a couple places that a piston fill pen will probably need some major maintenance after 10 years. That requirement has yet to apply to any of my Pels, all of which still function as they should.

Based on my experience, I would say to go for the custom nib, whatever it costs, and plan on a long term relationship with a great pen.

Edited by FrankB

Do you guys know where I can get one of these for around $110?? I've been looking all over and either they're sold out or cost over $200. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you guys know where I can get one of these for around $110?? I've been looking all over and either they're sold out or cost over $200. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm afraid you won't like my answer. The short answer is, if you just have to have one new from a dealer, you'll be paying about $200+ at the moment. Pam and James sold out several weeks ago, and Altman Luggage sold out shortly after that. Montgomery has a supply (imagine that), but their prices are sliding up to meet market conditions.

You should be able to get one in gently used to like-new condition on FPN, Pentrace, etc. for about $100-110...

Good luck!!

~~King

At $200 for the M600, I think you are better off going for an M800 for $50 more. I find the difference between these pens almost extreme. My first Pel. was an M800 and I thought it might be a tad to big so I ordered an M600 series. It definitely feels more like a toy and I didn't keep it for very long. Long live my M800!

Missed this review somehow...

Just got a m605 about two weeks ago, fine nib... must say KingJoe other than nib, I agree with you on this pen.

My fine nib writes nice and smooth... perhaps I got lucky.

For the price, I couldn't be happier... and it put a bit of color into my pretty much all black pen line up.

I'm reminded of the old saying, "When we're out of stock, we'll sell them at $110. Until then, it's $200."

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse