Noodler's Blue-Black

Verdant

post-10305-1201188911_thumb.jpg

post-10305-1201188945_thumb.jpg

post-10305-1201188970_thumb.jpg

post-10305-1201188995_thumb.jpg

I wrote that this was a "bulletproof" ink in the handwritten review; however, I see that it is listed as "near-bulletproof."

--Lorie

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle.

"Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• Verdant

• jean

• bluemagister

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lorie:

Thank you for the thorough review. I have been thinking about buying a bottle of this ink for some time, and your review has pushed me to do it. I have been looking for a blue-black that is "black with a slight blue hint" and this seems to be what I was looking for. Again, thank you for taking the time to post this.

Dave

So glad you found it helpful! You're very welcome.

--Lorie

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle.

"Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass

The broader the point on the nib, the more blue in this ink you'll see on paper (my experience). This seems to be the experience reported around here with many blue-black inks.

Thank you for the review.

I know I am colour blind but I am seeing some green in that colour. Anyone else?

Mame

(My name is explained in my profile:) )

Pens I got: Pelikan M200 & M605; Pilot Cavalier, Lamy Al-Star Graphite, Pelikan Pelikano Black, Pelikan Future, Hero M61, Waterman Phileas, Lamy 2000

Pens I want: Pelikan M805, Pelikan Majesty

Stuff on the way: Diamine Prussian Blue

I don't see much green in the scans above, but I have seen green in other writing samples using this ink. That doesn't surprise me, because all of Noodler's blue blacks have some amount of green in them.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• 3 weeks later...
The broader the point on the nib, the more blue in this ink you'll see on paper (my experience). This seems to be the experience reported around here with many blue-black inks.

Strongly seconded - I carry an address book around, really a Clairefontaine 3.5" by 5.5" ruled notebook, that I filled out with Blue-Black and a Medium Phileas. There's a lot of shading present, and the blue-black character is much more pronounced. I don't see any green shades, either - if anything, the tint's a very cool blue.

Jon

Thanks for your review. Noodler's blue-black is one of my favorite inks, and definitely my favorite blue-black ink.

GD~

Noodlers blue-blacks is one of the inks I have that I just haven't been able to warm up to. I may give it another shot, mixed with some Iraqi indigo to steer away from the green.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Thanks for the review. Noodler's B-B is one of my favorites -- well, I should say "was". That bottle is gone, and now I'm working my way through a bottle of Ellis Island, which is similar.

Viseguy

I got a (Pear Tree) sample of this. I prioritized the 4 samples with a dip pen, and didn't initially like this. It's turn to be tried in a "real" pen finally came, and I've warmed to it somewhat.

It is certainly at the black end of blue-black. You almost need a black reference on the page to tell it ISN'T black (or bright light). But it stands as as "original" on a page with black text so it could be a signature ink. Droplets of water will smudge the blue, but a wash in running water removes the blue quite completely, leaving black. The "black" is of course diluted and more of a (very) dark gray but very legible. The color change clearly shows it has been "washed" which might be a good thing.

When diluted, it is clear the "blue" component leans a little green, probably less than other Noodler blues. I wish the blueness stood out a little more. I prefer the color of PR Midnight Blues, which, to me, is at the blue end of blue black, but it has no permanence. I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a bottle.

I prefer the color of PR Midnight Blues, which, to me, is at the blue end of blue black, but it has no permanence.

That's what I thought until I did this test (scroll up here for the pre-soak scan). As the picture shows, there is some permanence there.

Viseguy

• 2 years later...

I LOVE this ink! It's got great writing qualities, smooth flow and excellent shading on my M nib Jinhao x450. It's near bulletproof and has a nice, dark blue tint to it.

I should have tried this ink a LONG time ago!

Thanks for the excellent review, this looks like a real interesting and true blue black ink.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

See attachment--Noodler's Blue-Black in BB nib. This is why, btw, I strongly prefer to put colors like this through bigger nibs--it shows the gradience so much better.

post-43251-1273528870.jpg

it looks good! as some of the other members have pointed out, it might have a bit of green in it... but it looks good in the scan.

it looks good! as some of the other members have pointed out, it might have a bit of green in it... but it looks good in the scan.

Hello,

Sometimes this ink appears dark blue (black), sometimes (most ot times for me) dark blue / blue-green black.

Colour depends on paper / pen /light

1st picture BB artificial light.

Pens:

1. Pelikan m600 (~ 1992) ef nib

2. Parker duofold international (~1992) oblic italic nib

3. Parker victory (~1940) Newhaven nib semi flex

4. Lamy safari ef nib

5. Waterman 52 flex nib

6. Waterman exclusive (~1989) ef nib

7. Wahleversharp goldseal flex nib

Paper: Clairefontaine "wax coated" (velouté)trophée clairefontaine 90g/m2

2nd picture sunlight

It behaves very well in all my pens, it's a success.

• 2 weeks later...

A other picture about how the ink varies in colour. Same light and pen.

Up: blotting paper

Bottom: nautilus classic blue angel.100% recycled FSC paper. 80gr/m2, iso 9706 (archival life over 200 years)

I know I am colour blind but I am seeing some green in that colour. Anyone else?

Mame

Yup, sure do. This is a great review, hand-written with lots of love and care... but...

... I never did like this ink (which I bought a while ago) because it is in fact too green. I am not colour-blind (I think).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)