• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• Karin

• Ann Finley

• Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/29/61767454_4eb78bdfe2.jpg

You've been busy, haven't you? Thanks for yet another look at another Noodlers ink. :D

Any chance of a side-by-side comparison shot of all these red/reddish brown/brownish red inks?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the scans, Bryan. On my monitor, they look more red, and less purple, than I would have expected based on my experience with Saguaro Wine. But that's probably just my computer. In person, Saguaro Wine leans noticeably towards purple -- I would describe it as a bright fuchsia. Very floral and festive.

Viseguy

Hi Bryan,

My Saguaro Wine was a red-violet color. On my monitor yours looks, well, red! So I'm wondering if it's just a monitor thing. Does your ink look the same on the monitor as on the paper?

Best, Ann

Hi Anne,

Is this ink a slow drying one. I find that the most trouble I have with Noodler`s, (I`m a lefty too) is with the red coloured inks. Ottoman Rose smears all over. Burgundy is a bit better. The orange tinted inks aren`t as bad.

Fountain Pen Abundance

Good look :) at the ink, Bryan, thanks.

I've seen the ink in the flesh, but my memory for color isn't good enough :( to comment on the accuracy of your scan as it appears on *my* monitor. Suffice to say, the comments illustrate the difficulty in presenting an ink color for everyone.

About all I do, nowadays, is to acknowledge that the nuances can't be shown and anything that even remotely strikes my fancy on the screen will be added to my ink accumulation. :o This means that, untimately, I will own a couple Herbins, about half of the PR line, 4 or 5 Diamines, and every Noodler's, every Noodler's/Pendemonium exclusive, every Noodler's/Art Brown exclusive and every Noodler's/Swisher pens/Swishmix ink exclusives. :P

In addition, and this is something we must think about because it impacts our great spouses, my "Final Directives" will specify that when I croak, my inks are to be mixed together and the resultant ugly brown mess will be poured over my corpse just as I enter the crematorium's furnace! :)9

Edit: Add all the Watermans to that list.

Edited by Roger

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

. . . my "Final Directives" will specify that when I croak, my inks are to be mixed together and the resultant ugly brown mess will be poured over my corpse just as I enter the crematorium's furnace! :)9

Wierdest funeral arrangements I've ever heard of! :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

That is a very nice vibrant deep red.

Once upon a time, Pelikan made the short cartridges with all sorts of lovely colors: aubergine, moss green, mint green, apricot, mustard yellow... and a red very similar to that called kirschrot. When I used up my last kirschrot cartridge a couple of years ago, I resigned myself to never seeing a similar red again. But this is close enough that I want to go out and buy some today.

Thank you for the sample.

. . . my "Final Directives" will specify that when I croak, my inks are to be mixed together and the resultant ugly brown mess will be poured over my corpse just as I enter the crematorium's furnace! :)9

Wierdest funeral arrangements I've ever heard of! :D

Ya know, as I reread that, it does sound kinda kinky, doesn't it?

Honestly, I was only thinking that it would spare my bride the problem of disposing of special interest stuff. She knows people nearby to get help from with guns and radio equipment, but nobody around here uses FPs and ink! :P

Sorry, Bryan. Now back to the Saguaro Wine. :)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

The scan does appear to be more red, however this is not a grape purple at all. Rather, I would describe is as did Viseguy,

I would describe it as a bright fuchsia. Very floral and festive.

Did you all happen to take a look at the link under the written sample? It will give you a closer view of the writting sample, I think the color comes through better in the larger scan.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Bryan - yes I looked at the link, and the scan still appeared red on my monitor. Just tried to take another look, but I'm getting a blank page when I click the link.

Karin - Yes, Saguaro Wine smears / dries slowly. I finally sold mine. I loved the color, but even with a very fine nib I had the left hand smearing problem.

Best, Ann

Bryan - yes I looked at the link, and the scan still appeared red on my monitor. Just tried to take another look, but I'm getting a blank page when I click the link.

Karin - Yes, Saguaro Wine smears / dries slowly. I finally sold mine. I loved the color, but even with a very fine nib I had the left hand smearing problem.

Best, Ann

THANKS Ann. VERY GOOD info - essential info - for us lefties.

Maybe we should standardize some sort of drying test. Paper would be easy enough to standardize - FPN pads. I guess the big problem would be the nib used and how wet a line it put down - variation, everyone having to have the same nib / pen, etc. Any thoughts on a way we could easily standardize this?

Thanks Ann,

It is frustrating being a southpaw. Not if you are Southpaw, then it`s a good thing :D

What a disappointment it is to ink a pen with a gorgeous new colour and have it smear all over. Yech. I know there are blotters, I have them, but that doesn`t really solve the problem. :ph34r:

I once wrote with Noodler`s Ottoman Rose and later in the day looked at the side of my hand in horror and wondered how I had gotten such a terrible rash :doh:

If any one wants to take a sick day, just smear your hand over some Ottoman Rose and then go to your boss. :blink:

So far, I haven`t had a problem with most of the orangey Noodler`s or the browns including Antietam. And Zhivago is ok too.The Swisher inks are terrific. Waterman`s inks are ok for me as are Pelikan Black, Violet and Brown. Shaeffer inks are ok too. Forget about most of the PR inks, although it`s been a long time since I`ve used any.

Penman inks are fine too :P

I`m sure there are more that I`ve either forgotten or haven`t tried.

Lefties of the world unite. :bunny1: :bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance

What a disappointment it is to ink a pen with a gorgeous new colour and have it smear all over. Yech. I know there are blotters, I have them, but that doesn`t really solve the problem. :ph34r:

I once wrote with Noodler`s Ottoman Rose and later in the day looked at the side of my hand in horror and wondered how I had gotten such a terrible rash :doh:

If any one wants to take a sick day, just smear your hand over some Ottoman Rose and then go to your boss. :blink: . . .

I`m sure there are more that I`ve either forgotten or haven`t tried.

Lefties of the world unite. :bunny1: :bunny1:

Got that t-shirt already! Most Noodlers work well for me, especially the permanent ones. Both Ottoman's that I have (Rose and Azure), are quite subject to smearing. Red-Black also can take a bit long to dry. I've slowly but steadily been shifting to more of an underwriting grip/style to help alleviate the problem - I'm also just careful when using those inks as I don't want to get rid of them.

I too have used WM without problem. Only tried Sheaffer Brown, which works fine. Herbin is ok, but $$$. Lamy works well for me also.

YES - let's unite! :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

(Then what???????)

We take over the world :ph34r: :ph34r:

THAT sounds like a big headache :lol: :lol: ! But OK, I'm game. When and where shall we start? I know, how about we buy all the Saguaro Wine Noodlers Ink and hold it for ransom (how's that for a way out redirect back on topic :lol: )?

I had trouble with the Antietam, Habanero, & Apache Sunset smearing, also.

Karin, if you can use the Antietam and oranges, I envy you. As with the Saguaro Wine, I thought I had the problem licked with using a very fine nib, but then I noticed some smearing again. Antietam, Saguaro Wine & Gruene Cactus were my favorites. Co-incidently, Pelikan Black, Brown, & Violet are the three Pelikan inks I still use, too. Well, actually, I use the Red also--but mixed with Sheaffer Gold (3:1 Red/Gold) for my orange.

Southpaw, if we tried to standardize for comparison it would have to be with Clairefontaine or Rhodia. I didn't get the FPN pads because I couldn't find anywhere that it was mentioned ahead of time where the logo would be and I feared it may be in the center of the sheet, which, even for little note pads, I don't like.

As to inks, I can also use Waterman, Lamy, Sheaffer, Conway Stewart and Herbin. I have no smearing problem with Noodler's waterfproof, highlighter, or Swisher's inks, either.

I fear that I would have problems if I used the orange Noodler's with Clairfontaine paper. I find that it smears more than many others. Very sad :(

Rhodia is better but there are some problems with that too on occasion.

I guess cheaper is better and now I think I'll drink a glass of Saguaro Wine (just to keep on topic :sick:

Fountain Pen Abundance

I have this one too, and mine has more purple in it than even the close-up. It's an interesting color - I like to use it for grading papers, along with Diamine Claret. Bright, and not the much maligned red.

Vanessa