Sheaffer Nononsense stainless steel (56k warning)

Wilfred86

Dear fountain pen lovers,

This is a review about the Stainles steel Sheaffer Nononsense. My first review, so be gentle. The pictures are a bit crappy, I have cheap macro lenses, :embarrassed_smile:. Some time ago I acquired three of these for a very reasonable price. My stepfather has one as well, he promised me his pen if I would do well in high school, but I had to buy these pens, so you know now what a dreadfull student I was back then. I hope you enjoy the review!

General impression

These are quite sturdy pens, and quite large too. I like its design, very simple. The fact that it has a twist-on cap and is made from stainless steel, makes it an ideal pen, for me, that is. It looks not cheap, but not expensive either. Just a fine "middle class" pen.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9653/dscf4552yh1.jpg

Weight and thickness

The weight of this pen is medium, a bit heavier than the plastic Nononsense, but not that much. The Sheaffer Prelude for example, is heavier than this pen. It is comparable in weight to a modern Duofold International (both 21 grams).

To see its size relative to other pens, I included a picture with some well known pens.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4544/dscf4571qh3.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9346/dscf4578zf7.jpg

How Does It Write?

The nib is the plain stainless steel nib used in a lot of other Sheaffer pens (used still today in my Sheaffer Prelude). It is a stiff nib, medium and when you write with it you feel a bit more resistance than, for example, a Parker Frontier (very smooth). I The pen lais down a nice wet line. Well, as said before, comparable to my Sheaffer Prelude; a wet line with a bit of resistance.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1386/dscf4545hi6.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5930/dscf4557uq5.jpg

Material

Stainless steel! One of the nicest materials one can use for a fountain pen. It looks sleek, clean and modern. And it is durable of course.

nice

These pens have a very nice design, are cheap, and write very well!

not so nice

From the three pens, two have caps wich screw on a bit "harshly", not very smooth. But I think when used a lot, this problem will eventually solve itself.

Here some extra pictures.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4143/dscf4550fk0.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7410/dscf4540dh2.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8805/dscf4555fg4.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review. Thanks for reading!

Groeten uit Nederland!

(Greetings from the Netherlands!)

De pen is sterker dan het zwaard

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilfred86

• theblackpen

• Ondina

• TheNightowl

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Wilfred86,

that's a nice review of a very cool pen. I love my NoNonsenses. Where did you find yours (and, I hope you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one)?

Thanks,

Nellie

Hello Nellie,

I bought the pens on Ebay, about a year ago. The pens were 15 euro per pen. The seller had another one (not listed then),

wich, after I bought my three pens, was going for 30 euro (probably because I bought three at once, hehe).

Wilfred

Wilfred, nice review! I don't own a Sheaffer but your review tells me I should seek a few Nononsense's just because.

Your photos are wonderful. You should see the (Potty Mouth) I put up when I post a photo, embarrasing to say the least.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I thought it was a very nice review. Thank you for sharing!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Nice pen, and very nice review. I've been planning to buy a Sheaffer No Nonsense for quite some time. I really want one now! Thanks!

Regards,

Ray

Wow. Nice pen. I first saw a picture of the stainless steel No Nonsense on the PenHero website, but I've ever actually see on in person, or even for sale on the internet. Where did you buy yours from?

Thanks for the nice review! :D

TMann

Thanks for the review, Wilfred! (nice handwriting, by the way ;) )

I have a stainless steel NoNonsense that I got from a fellow FPNer, a generous pen friend, and I love using it! :D

Oh, I just wanted to add that I appreciate you showing us the pen in its original packing as I had never seen that before. I suspect that a fair number of the stainless steel NN's can be found in the UK. Just a suspicion, no proof for my supposition....

Edited by Maja

greencobra: thanks for your compliment, :)

@TMann: I bought them from eBay about a year ago. Since then I haven't seen one again.

@Maja: Yes, these were indeed from the UK. And about the handwriting: You find this impressive? Watch me using a stub nib, ;)

Wilfred

Edited by Wilfred86

Good review!

I have one of these with the fine italic calligraphy nib, a great writer.

- Stuart

Rincewind

"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad."

--Rincewind, "Interesting Times"

Nice review and nice handwriting :thumbup:

My plastic orange no nonsense is a good writer too. The SS No nonsense looks great!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi,

Nice review, I really like the No Nonsense pens, I have several (probably about 20) in various colours including a Stainless Steel one and an Old Timer.

I bought quite a few BPs a couple of years ago mainly the marbled ones in various colours and having acquired 6 replacement nib on ebay have converted a couple to eyedropper pens, you can convert to FPs easily by 'pulling' the spring in the barrel (I use a crochet hook).

They are nice writers and even the plastic ones are pretty sturdy, even better they are a reminder of the vintage flat top Sheaffers for those that can't afford those.

Andy

• 2 years later...

Nice review, Wilfred. And I agree, nice penmanship.

I hadn't seen this review until after I got my own SS No Nonsense!

Like TMann, I first saw the SS No Nonsense on the Pen Hero website, just within the last couple of months. Up until that time, I'd no idea they had ever made an SS version.

Just a few days later, what to my wondering eyes should appear on eBay, but a SS No Nonsense! It was a bit steep for my budget, being $50 on a "Buy it now" listing. But temptation won out, and I snatched it up before anyone else could. Unfortunately, no original packaging or anything came with it. I switched out the fine nib from another of my No Nonsense pens for the medium that it was fitted with when I got it. (I have a "fine hand," and medium nibs tend to make open letters, like e, l, o, etc., look "filled in.")

I don't usually like "fat" pens, but I remember the No Nonsense with a bit of nostalgia, and I don't regret for an instant getting hold of this one! It's not my "everyday" pen, more of a special occasion one, but definitely one in my rotation of inked pens.

Nightowl