Molteni Antonella

Leigh R

Molteni is eBay seller outletline's house brand, and it's manufactured by Bexley. I obtained an Antonella late last year. Other models available are the Cilicia, Curukova, and Celestial. I liked the looks of the Antonella - it is streamlined without being too simple, and the flat top, roller clip and gold bands give the pen the looks of an updated classic. I have always liked ebonite, and green, and the two together clinched the deal.

The cap takes about three turns to open. I need to be careful about not closing it too tightly because it became stuck when I did, and the threaded section of the barrel came off rather than the cap. (I don't see why there is a need for the extra threaded section - see the picture attached - but perhaps enlightenment will come one day.)

The nib is a Bexley fine, and it writes with medium wetness. There is no flex to speak of, unlike the nibs I usually prefer. Still, this nib has its own merits. It is very smooth, and the line it puts down is consistent. I rotate my nib once in a while, and it doesn't seem to drag or "bite" into the paper when I do.

It's a light pen, easy to use for an hour's worth of meeting notes and doodles.

All in all, a good pen for the price (USD 250 before shipping, which was an offer I made on a BIN IIRC). If you're looking for even more bang for the buck, though, I think a vintage pen for the same money (or even less) is a better option. I just happen to like green very, very much. ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/Page_1-1.jpg

In lieu of the usual photos, I hereby supply a one-page Comic Life autobiography. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leigh R

• Deirdre

• jonro

• Brian

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that an accurate pic of the pen's green?

It looks greenier than this Danitrio I just got:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/2149205469_0ddebb3395_o.png

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Is that an accurate pic of the pen's green?

It looks greenier than this Danitrio I just got:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/2149205469_0ddebb3395_o.png

I think compressing the file into a jpeg made everything look greener! Your pic of the Danitrio Tosca is close to this green, but the Molteni's green is a tad deeper. Let me color-correct and upload another picture. :)

Darn -- I was hoping I'd discovered a new green to buy. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Leigh,

I love your idea of using Comic Life for the pen photos and review. If stealing an idea is indeed flattery, prepare to be complimented.

Jon

Thanks for this interesting review. I like hard rubber too and the coloration looks very nice. Can you tell us what the section material is? Sounds like HR as well.

It's a very pretty pen, thanks for the second pic. It definitely has better lines than the Danitrio Tosca.

deirdre.net