Caran d'Ache Storm

RaymondvW

This is my first ink review ever :)

I hope you can read it, my copy of "write now" is on order :roflmho:

I bought this ink, because I wanted to try something different. I read the reviews by Goodyear and Steadyhand, and expected this ink to be a very dark eggplant/purple color with some "black" in it. It turns out to be a lot more purple in my case, and a lot lighter. I like the color, but it's not what I expected. It's also not a color I want to write stuff with that others will read. It's a bit "girlie" :embarrassed_smile:

Here it is, please let me know what you think, but be gentle :ltcapd:

post-10617-1198094624_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RaymondvW

• sallywally

• RitaCarbon

• nicholasyeo

I don't understand why you think it's "girlie" :huh: Handsome color B)

Edit: Where ARE my manners? :blush: Thank you for a very good review! :thumbup:

Edited by Ghost Plane

My guess is that the nib on the Lamy that you used happens to show inks lighter.

Good 1st review! And I could read every word of your handwriting. :)

Best, Ann

The colour can change a lot with different pens. If I use one pen it comes out a really lovely dark purple (a battered Waterman Expert with a now badly behaved nib). With some others it comes out a light colour as you have seen.

Thanks for your comments!

I didn't know that color could differ so much with different pens. I'll try it out in another pen when I can refill it.

I bought some of this ink several months ago, and tried it in one or two different pens (can't remember which ones). Each time the ink was a very dark purple. I was surprised by the lightness of the color in your review. As others have stated, inks can show quite a bit of variation from pen to pen.

Thanks for your review.

Regards,

Ray

Gotta agree with some of those before me: definitely must have come from a dry writing pen/nib. Mine looks much darker, but then the vast majority of my nibs ten to be on the wet side. Try a different pen that's wetter and post another sample if you get a chance. I suspect it'll be quite a bit darker. Almost forgot to mention it, but that's a very nice review. Thanks.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Some other pens with the same ink. I've written this yesterday, so it has had chance to dry.

I'm thinking that my ink is from a different batch or something. The color on my monitor matches the actual writing quite well, so what you see is the actual color of my sample.

I still think it's a nice color, so I'm not disappointed. But I think I would be more happy if the ink I got looked more like the ink in other tests here (darker and greyer). I think that would be a color that I could use in daily life. The color that I got is just too purple for me to view it as a "serious" color.

post-10617-1198365908_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I got my first bottle of Storm yesterday and tried it out in my Conklin XF Stub semiflex, and it has come out a dusty rose/pink, nothing like these reviews at all, and nothing like Pouissiere de Lune as reviewed here (and which many say is similar to Storm). I'll try in another pen or two, but I'm quite disappointed at this stage of things.... :crybaby:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I got my first bottle of Storm yesterday and tried it out in my Conklin XF Stub semiflex, and it has come out a dusty rose/pink, nothing like these reviews at all, and nothing like Pouissiere de Lune as reviewed here (and which many say is similar to Storm). I'll try in another pen or two, but I'm quite disappointed at this stage of things.... :crybaby:

I've never thought of Storm as a dark purple (nor its cousin in looks, J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune). Limesally's description of the dusty gray tones in both has been my experience, with the J. Herbin tending more toward the dusty rose overtones and Storm bluer. I'm very fond of Storm, but know it can be jarring when the a new ink coming out of your pen isn't what you expected. While the news is way too late for RaymondW (or too early, since it's a newer color), a very, very dark, murky purple is Private Reserve Ebony Purple (in my experience, that is).

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I've never thought of Storm as a dark purple (nor its cousin in looks, J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune). Limesally's description of the dusty gray tones in both has been my experience, with the J. Herbin tending more toward the dusty rose overtones and Storm bluer. I'm very fond of Storm, but know it can be jarring when the a new ink coming out of your pen isn't what you expected. While the news is way too late for RaymondW (or too early, since it's a newer color), a very, very dark, murky purple is Private Reserve Ebony Purple (in my experience, that is).

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate you sharing. I guess I was hoping for more of a dusty medium blue/gray with some pinkish overtones, rather than essentially pinkish. It does shade nicely and I'll keep writing with it to see how it wears for me. :meow:

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

It's the pen but also my monitor. When I write on any paper with any pen, that ink is definitely a much darker "purple-black". I.e. less pink and more black. But some purple.

Nice review.

(If I may suggest, add a last word comparing what you see on paper and what your monitor says about your scanner.)

Mike smile.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this review. I'd been wondering about this ink. You know, regarding the color, Arnold Schwarzenegger made exactly the same comment!

Regards, Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

After writing with "Storm" for awhile, I find its a great match with my vintage Conklin XF stub semiflex, and I just love writing with it. I'm still not quite sure what the color is, but I love the look from the Conklin, nice sharp letters with nice shading, just an all-around pleasure,

I've liked Grand Canyon Brown also, and now wonder if I should get the darker blue of that series.

:D

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

I bought this ink, because I wanted to try something different. I read the reviews by Goodyear and Steadyhand, and expected this ink to be a very dark eggplant/purple color with some "black" in it.

Great review, Raymond! I absolutely love the color. It IS handsome.

And now, for something completely different, get some Caran d'Ache Black and use it to create the color you want. We'd love to see the results.

Rita

• 1 year later...

it looks quite pretty. too pretty. i get what u mean, too girly for guys. and for girly ink, it's not girly enough. too black for a true purple, too purple for a purple-black...

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.