Lamy Accent

AndyHayes

First Impressions

I was really pleased to have won the pen on electronic Bay for just over £10 (US$20). When the pen arrived it was in its simple black and silver box. I had looked at the Lamy Studio, but really wanted the more expensive Accent. Whilst many were chasing the Studio, few were chasing the Accent.

Appearance

A silver coloured top and a blue mid-section that bulges like a faulty vein with the lower part also being silver coloured. Mine arrived with a medium nib which I pulled off using the instructions one www.thewritingdesk.co.uk Sadly I pulled the feed out as well. I changed the nib for a stub and forced the feed back into the pen wrongly. Brute force and ignorance didn’t win the day and it had to go back to Lamy after a grovelling apology to their repair staff. Lamy fixed it free of charge and probably due to a communications problem I ended up with an extra feed and nib unit. I don’t suppose that there are many companies that would do this.

Design/Size/Weight

A long slim pen. It is 145mm capped, 165mm posted and 125mm uncapped. With a converter full of ink the pen weighs 28.7 grammes.

Nib

Screw off the cap to view the nib. It’s a steel nib that is the same as those on the Safari and studio range of pens. They are available in a wider range than people may be aware including three stub nibs in 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9mm. Mine has a 1.1i stub nib that writes quite reasonably. It was experience of a 1.1i stub nib on a Lamy Al-Star that made me so keen to get a quality pen with a stub. The cap posts securely.

Filling System

Lamy’s proprietary cartridges or a screw in converter. There is a strange way of getting to the mechanism though. Unscrew the cap then whilst holding the blue section turn the lower silver coloured piece and the nib/section/converter or catridge part will pop up enough after a few turns to be withdrawn.

Cost and Value

Normally around £40 in the UK. I suppose that for most people it might represent reasonable value. It is certainly strongly built.

Conclusion

The service that I have had from Lamy has been without fault, but I am not happy with the pen. It is slimmer than I like, but there is an even worse fault. The blue aluminium piece that you hold is as slippery as an eel. It is impossible to hold without the fingers sliding down towards the nib. In the end I had to wrap an elastic band around the pen. What I need is one of the rubber grip sections that are available for this pen. Has anyone got a spare one that they would like to sell? Has it turned out to be good value? No. If you want to buy this model then buy it with the rubber grip section, or buy a Lamy Studio. Don’t forget that you can get the same nib on the Safari/Vista/Al-Star range and these pens are getting so cheap on electronicBay UK that it would be well worth trying one. The Writing Desk will sell you a nib for just a few quid. I am surprised that Lamy could get the grip so wrong after the success of the Lamy 2000. They could have at least knurled the grip.

Photos will follow shortly.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• RaymondvW

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no it isn't!! It's panto season in the UK at the moment!

No, I have the Accent next to the 805 and I can say without doubt that the Accent is thinner, even at the bulge. Sadly I don't have any tools to measure it, but I can see it with my eyes.

I am unable to edit the post again so here are the pictures.

Raymond, you may be right about the pen not being that slim. I think that I have been using a Danitrio Mikado too much recently!! When I looked at it against the likes of a Parker 45 I realised that it is relatively thick.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/LamyAccent1.jpg

Boxed Accent

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/LamyAccent2.jpg

Accent uncapped with stub 1.1i nib

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/LamyAccent3.jpg

Accent disassembled showing the optional converter

Told you so :P :)

I measured mine and it's 12-13mm at the grip, which is m800 territory :) I really like mine, I love the "techno-look" of the pen.

You mentioned that thewritingdesk sells nibs for this pen, that's great. When I wanted to try out different nibs for this pen, all the stores here told me that the only way to get a new nib is to send the pen in for repair.

But at £3.60, I can try out several (and maybe even order some different color Private Reserve cartridges for my Waterman). Seems like a cool way to try out an italic and oblique nib, and to buy a F nib to replace my MK (medium kügel) which I don't like :)