Info on Italian pens (please)

macaddicted

Can someone point me at some info about Italian pens? I've recently picked up a couple of Viscontis and an Aurora, each of which have taken up a regular place in my rotation. I would like to get a better sense of what is out there.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• handlebar

• AndreaDuni

• rgarciasandoval

Dear All

Hi, hey Italian pens are my favorites!, they have it all, nib smoothness, generous ink flow, excellent materials and very nice design. A couple of pen makers with a lot of experience are Aurora and OMAS

I would say that on the very top is OMAS because of their really soft, flexible and juicy nibs, fitted on excellent celluloid's or on their cotton resin, a sort of celluloid relative as long as it is made out of cellulose (it feels warm and soft). Unfortunately their pens are a little bit more expensive that the average, and some models have price increases already announced, but are great.

Aurora also produce very nice pens, in my opinion Aurora nibs are quite reliable, they almost never clog, those are not as juicy as OMAS nibs but also are great writers. A characteristic of this nibs (at least in modern production) is their “toothyness" feels a little bit scratchy while you write, but this is only for regular nibs (FMB) I have a modern 88 with factory OM and the sweet spot is really nice, any toothy feeling compared with a Talentum M, both with14kts nibs

Besides this great “ancient" pen makers, a more recent one with great products is Stipula. Their 18kts nibs are just great, smooth and juicy, just a little bit under OMAS, but over Aurora. They have excellent stub nibs (rounded italic?) ready to be fitted on most of their models. Also they produce pens with very nice materials like ebonite and celluloid. And compared with Aurora and OMAS, their prices are more affordable.

Any way I would recommend you to take a look on the Pens Reviews section here in this forum, focusing on those pen makers.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=8177

Very best

Ricardo

p.s. By the way in my opinion this Fountain Pen Network needs a forum oriented to Italian Pens, don't you think?

Edited by rgarciasandoval

Oh where do i start? A portion was covered by Ricardo.

Omas,Stipula,Montegrappa,Visconti and Aurora are very popular.Delta make some nice pens too.

Do a search on FPN here and you will find countless threads about italian pens.

Happy hunting.

Jim

You may also consider Signum pens. They are not very well known but are fantastic (although the nibs tend to run one width more than labeled).

Richard Binder has some nice ones at richardspens.com

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

Macaddicted,

There was an interesting thread on FP about listing the Italian FP producers, but unfortunately it was buried in the feedback section and was not really successful.

I’ll try to make it here, adding some info. Actually what is listed here was built by me taking pieces from websites and books around the world. I don’t know if those infos were something you was looking for, but I think that they can be interesting anyway. Enjoy.

In my opinion existing Italian brands can be split in three different groups:

1. Historical producers. I would put in this category those producers established before WWII, that are still in the business. They are usually characterized for making their own pen bodies and nibs in house and for taking pride of their story, often mentioning historical events in LE or using “old fashioned” features and logos. Those producers are:
    1. AURORA, based in Turin, founded 1919. It’s the most famous Italian producer, the only one covering the whole market from cheap ball points to lower end FP until expensive LE FP. They produce everything in-house and are still an independent company. They are my favorite Italian brand. www.aurorapen.it
    2. OMAS, based in Bologna, founded 1925. The “Officina Meccanica Armando Simoni” is since 2000 owned by LVHM French luxury group. This year LVHM sold Omas to one of his controlled Chinese company. Omas always produced everything in house until 2005 (?) when they started outsourcing nibs from Bock. They specialize in beautiful high end pens, both with classic design (Arte Italiana) and modern (360); www.omas.net
    3. MONTEGRAPPA, based in Bassano del Grappa, founded in 1912. Acquired in 2000 by Montblanc (Richemont group), Montegrappa today, in its regular range as well as its limited editions, still preserves its characteristic craftsmanship of the highest level, creating exclusive pens. I believe they can be considered in house producers, since they use nibs made in Germany by the parent company (anyone can confirm this??); www.montegrappa.com
    4. ANCORA, based in Pavia, founded in 1919. Ancora is a small company, notable because all pens are made by hand from the nib to the clip. They are an independent company. www.ancorapen.com
    5. COLUMBUS, based in Milano, founded in 1918. Columbus was, until the 50s one of the most important FP producers. They pens were considered the top quality Italian pens. Unfortunately, they started to position themselves in the bottom part of the market and they still are there. In 1992, after the death of Eugenio Verga (the founder) the company was acquired by the Santara firm. They don’t produce anymore their nibs. www.columbuspenne.it
    6. NETTUNO, originally based in Bologna and founded in 1911. Considered the first Italian producer of FP, Nettuno is now just a “sub brand” of Aurora.
    7. FILCAO, based in Settimo Torinese, founded in 1964. Even though Filcao (Fabbrica Italiana Lavorazione Cappucci Alluminio e Ottone) was created after the WWII, I’d put it in this category because they are based close to Turin, that was considered the Italian “district” of the pens, having a long tradition and long list of producers just until the 60s, and because in my mind they are close (as production output and market ambitions) to Ancora. www.filcaopens.com
  2. Modern Luxury Items producers. Italy is world renewed for the craftsmanship in goldsmith and high-end luxury items. In this category I would put producers and brands that – being created during the 70s/80s – are making the most of this image, producing in small numbers high end, well designed and sought-after Fountain Pens. I suppose they all outsource nibs in Germany. They all are independent companies still controlled by their usually creative and charismatic owners. Notably, the two most important economical district for luxury goods are based in Florence and Campania (the region surrounding Naples). Most of them are active in more fields that just Fountain Pens.
    1. DELTA, based in Naples, founded in 1982. www.deltapen.it
    2. VISCONTI, based in Florence, founded in 1988. www.visconti.it
    3. MARLEN, based in Caserta (near Naples), founded in 1982. www.marlenpens.com
    4. AQUILA BRANDS, based in Pastorano, Naples. Founded in 2000. They are exception to this group, but I think this is the right place for them. Leopoldo Aquila founded a FP company in 1938 (LALEX). Two generations later, , in the late 1970s, using its position as one of Italy’s foremost pen-makers, the Aquila family bought Montegrappa, one of Italy’s oldest pen manufacturer. In just a few years Aquila developed Montegrappa into an international brand and in 2000 sold it to the Richemont group. Cashed up and ready for a new challenge, Giuseppe and Gianfranco Aquila founded the Aquila Brands Group, with the aim of expanding the Lalex brand (now called LALEX1938. Next on the company’s busy revamp programme was the launching, in 2004, of licensed pens and leather products for the Ducati brand. Again, the desire to bring on board new customers, as well as to cover different price ranges, has promoted the Aquila Group to bring out licensed pens for the Smart and Jaguar brands too. In 2005 was the time for acquire TIBALDI, an FP brand active from 1916, relaunched in 2006 for the occasion of the 90th birthday. www.aquilabrands.com
    5. FERRARI DA VARESE, based in Varese, founded in 1970. www.ferraridavarese.com
    6. STIPULA, based in Florence, founded in 1973. www.penemporium.com/
    7. SIGNUM, based in Bassano del Grappa, founded in 1979. I guess, because of the small town and date of establishment, that this company was created as a “spin off” from Montegrappa at the times of their acquisition by the Aquila family. But it’s just my supposition. www.pennesignum.com
  3. Designer factories. As everyone knows, Italy – and especially Milano – is world known for being one of the main designer’s paradises. Then in Milano you may find lots of designer studios, designing every kind of object for the most known consumer goods brands of the world. Some of them then makes a step further, creating his own objects brand range, just outsourcing the production to some in shore or off shore factory. Between the several objects created, the paper and stationery products are one of the most obvious and used. I would mention here some of the most famous:
    1. 3.6.5 by Giuliano Mazzuoli, based in Firenze, founded 2001. The creator of famous “Moka”. www.365-design.com
    2. Parafernalia, based in Milano, founded 1966. The ancestor of this group, creator of the famous Revolution pen. www.parafernalia.it
    3. Cleto Munari, based in Vicenza. www.cletomunaripens.com
    4. Giorgio Fedon 1919, based in Cadore, founded 2000. www.giorgiofedon1919.it
Finally, since it is very easy to make an “Italian sounding” name, there are several brands that just “sound” Italians but they are not Italians, like Monteverde or Molteni. Just be aware of it.

Regards and sorry for my english,

edited to add some bold in order to enhance readibility

Edited by diplomat

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

diplomat,

Superb post!

To the moderator(s) - is it possible to pin diplomat's post to the top of the writing intruments forum - this is one worht keeping handy!

A couple more to add that are not as well known:

Tibaldi, founded in 1916 in Florence. Atributed by some as the first Italian maker of fountain pens. In the past they produced many wonderful celluloid pens. Current production seems to be primarly 'luxury' LE type pens, and luxury pens made for other marks. www.tibaldi.it

Omega, Rumoured to be started around 1930 by one of the pricipals from Columbus Pen Company. Based in Milan. I have seen a couple of button filler celloids on the web. Company is no longer in business as far as I know.

Giovanni Abrate and Dario Giorgi have a number of articles posted on url="http://www.pentrace.net"]www.pentrace.net[/url] regarding Italian pens.

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Hi again

Amazing information from Diplomat, thanks a lot!

I didn’t knew that OMAS nibs are produced now by Bock. Seems that they produce almost all the nibs around. This is in some way disappointing, nibs are the heart and soul of a good pen, and if most of the nibs comes from the same factory (even when those nibs are great writers) sounds strange for me.

Someone of you knows which companies still producing their own nibs? besides the ones mentioned by Diplomat

Very best

Ricardo

Once again I must admit that an Italian forum would be a happy addition...I know I know, but there you go!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Once again I must admit that an Italian forum would be a happy addition...I know I know, but there you go!

:thumbup:

Jim

Thanks, Diplomat and Jim.

After testing the waters with Van Goghs a couple of years ago, I now seem to be accumulating Italian pens at a frightening rate. Yesterday, I bought a new Visconti Opera Club and a mint Omas Arco Paragon (also an excellent MB 149 was thrown into the sumgai deal).

Tonight I was eating penne and meatballs in sauce (made by my half-Sicilian wife), Tuscan salad, panatone for desert, washed down with sangiovese, when I realized I had the Opera Club and an old style Paragon in my pocket. Ouch.

I am no expert on Italian pens but the ones I've used so far have been smooth writers and more fascinating in design than my beloved Pelikans or even Bexleys. When a company can pull off both the Paragon and the titanium Emotica with style, it has my attention.

Bill

I'm realtively new to Italian pens my self but sure am impressed with the one I have. Visconti makes some very nice pens! Love my Wall Street!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

diplomat,

Superb post!

To the moderator(s) - is it possible to pin diplomat's post to the top of the writing intruments forum - this is one worht keeping handy!

A couple more to add that are not as well known:

Tibaldi, founded in 1916 in Florence. Atributed by some as the first Italian maker of fountain pens. In the past they produced many wonderful celluloid pens. Current production seems to be primarly 'luxury' LE type pens, and luxury pens made for other marks. www.tibaldi.it

Omega, Rumoured to be started around 1930 by one of the pricipals from Columbus Pen Company. Based in Milan. I have seen a couple of button filler celloids on the web. Company is no longer in business as far as I know.

Giovanni Abrate and Dario Giorgi have a number of articles posted on url="http://www.pentrace.net"]www.pentrace.net[/url] regarding Italian pens.

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Thanks everybody for the appreciation!

I'm trying to put toghether a fairly comprehensive database about italian brands. I hope it will be a great first post for the forthcoming (hopefully!) Italian Forum section.

Jim, I listed Tibaldi in the Aquila Brand section, since it is one of those brands that is being sold from a firm to another during the last decades... As for Omega, out-of-business brands are intentionally left out of my list, since the number of brand would increase a lot! Anyway thank you for the info, since I never come across such brand.

Few updates:

Ancora: In spite to what I though, Ancora was silent for a number of years, until in 1997 was revived by Giovanni Santini

Nettuno: re-launched in 2001 by Firma, stationery firm based on Bergamo and acquired 2007 by Aurora

Tibaldi: back in the business in 1992, when was a Plastimoda brand (along the famous "Mandarina Duck"), then acquired by Hopa (something close to an hedge found, I understand), and then again became in 2005 part of the Aquila Brand Group.

Does anybody have a brand to add to my list?

Characteristics to have to be considered a "valid" entry are:

- Italian company/brand

- Currently in business

Regards,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I think you already listed all those I know.

The only one more could be Renzetti 1909. It's an old craftmasters' company which mainly makes Guillochè engravings for almost all the pen companies (Aurora and Visconti, for example) and many silversmiths, and recently started to produce their owwn brand's pens. http://www.guilloche.it/renzetti.html

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

The only companies that I know of for sure that still produce their own nibs are Ancora and Aurora. Might be a couple more. One thing to keep in mind is that even though Bock produces nibs for these companies, they are not all the same nib. They all feel different, look different, etc. Kind of like Burger King, they do it ' your way'..

the Danitrio Fellowship

Aurora acquired Firma Company with Nettuno brand. :) Only to be precise :D

Edited by Netnemo

<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/fountainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

Aurora acquired Firma Company with Nettuno brand. :) Only to be precise :D

Are you sure about that? I remember reading on Penna that Aurora acquired Nettuno FROM Firma...

btw the website (www.nettunopens.com) still report Nettuno as Firma owned... there is some confusion we should agree!! :thumbup:

Maybe we mean the same... so I report directly the Penna's article... :)

Aurora acquires Firma and Nettuno

Aurora has bought Firma and its two brands, Firma and Nettuno. As Aurora general manager Cesare Verona points out, with this move the Turin-based pen maker is making a statement about its faith in the Italian market and the importance of business values based on tradition and family-run enterprise.

The Nettuno-Firma product range currently includes three limited edition and three standard collections. The new owner will be focusing on the Trident and Barracuda lines, both hightly innovative writing instruments with unusual designs inspired by Nature.

Edited by Netnemo

<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/fountainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

hi diplomat,

thank you very much for your post!

At the homepage of Aurora there is a press release relating Nettuno, perhaps it is more exact.

I don't think the nibs of Montegrappa are made in Hamburg. I think they are also made by Bock.

Best regards

Dirk

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend