Wax Seals!

Jen

Some pics of my wax seals and sealing wax collection. Enjoy!

post-8855-1196659536_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196659545_thumb.jpg

Seals and wax sticks stored in

Milano Series Store-All small dark brown

Bed Bath & Beyond

$19.99

post-8855-1196659555_thumb.jpg

J. Herbin "Cire Favorite - Favorite Wax"

You can find these on various websites but I ordered mine from Atelier Gargoyle along with their own brand wax sticks.

Pourpre (burgundy or crimson)

Or (gold)

Cuivre (copper)

post-8855-1196659565_thumb.jpg

Atelier Gargoyle [highly recommended]

(http://www.ateliergargoyle.com/)

Linnea was such a delight to talk to. EXCELLENT customer service. I can't praise them enough. I'm not going to tell you what all comes in the package when you order wax sticks because that will ruin the surprises! (PM me if you want the details)

$5 per stick $25 minimum purchase

Copper

Gold

Dark Red (not yet posted on their website). Great color!

Red

post-8855-1196659575_thumb.jpg

* JH = J. Herbin (http://www.jherbin.com/)

AG = Atelier Gargoyle (http://www.ateliergargoyle.com/)

FM = Freund Mayer (http://www.freundmayer.com/; http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/)

Freund Mayer

Glue Gun Sealing wax

$2.95 per stick local store (Paper N Things Two; Baton Rouge)

Available online at Nostalgic Impressions

pack of 3 sticks $5.95

post-8855-1196669604_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196669612_thumb.jpg

Short square seals with gold handle:

Aladine

made in France

$22.50 local store (Paper N Things Two, Baton Rouge; I also saw these in Scriptura, New Orleans)

Also available online at Kate's Paperie

Wood handle square seals

$14.95 local store (Paper N Things Two, Baton Rouge)

Also available online at Nostalgic Impressions

$19.95

Round monogram metal stampers with silver Fleur De Lis handle

local Michaels store

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=wd0108

$4.99

post-8855-1196659600_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196659610_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196659619_thumb.jpg

Van Cort Instruments

Massachusetts

Gift to me 11 years ago

Found only very limited information online

If you look carefully you can see 'Van Cort' on the red wax stick

*Notice the die was not engraved as deeply compare to others

Short brass 'double happiness' seal

$6.95 local store (Paper N Things, Baton Rouge)

Also available online at Nostalgic Impressions

$8.95

post-8855-1196669532_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196659638_thumb.jpg

metallic tri color ink pad

VersaColor

Made in Japan

local Hobby Lobby

On sale $3.59 (Original price $7.99)

*The hinged lid swings under the base

post-8855-1196659649_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1196659665_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jen

Jen

Make peace with God and make peace with yourself

'cause in the end there's nobody else

---Point of Grace

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jen

• Titivillus

• WhosYerBob

• goldkiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my... I've been wanting my own wax seal stamp for years (seriously, ever since I was a little girl!) but have never taken the plunge and bought them... *drools* I wonder if my local Michael's has the metal stamps- for that price, even if I only use them once, I would be willing to pick one up! Thank you for sharing your collection!

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

I love using sealing wax. Your review was awsome! Thanks for taking the time to show us your stuff. (I also liked all your paper reviews.)

Sealing wax & seals have always fascinated me. As much as I'd like to have a few (Or several) of those things, I never got the chance.

I'm Chinese by ethnicity. Mum and dad used to say that I would be better-off with one of those old Chinese signature-stamps/seals. It would be nice to have one of those, but fiddling around with hot wax and a seal-stamp also looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Thanks for all the pictures and information, Jen. It's fun to look at and I'll probably get a set one of these days, thanks to you!

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

I used one when I was younger, but I can't remember what I used as a stamp. I keep wanting to figure out a way to make my own. :rolleyes:

--Bob Farace

~~scribbler~~

I think the sealing wax and seals are very cool looking. I may look into getting some of that. I had no idea you could ink the seal before stamping it in the wax. That's a really nice effect.

How many seals can you get from a stick of sealing wax?

I'm Chinese by ethnicity. Mum and dad used to say that I would be better-off with one of those old Chinese signature-stamps/seals. It would be nice to have one of those, but fiddling around with hot wax and a seal-stamp also looks like a lot of fun.

Ooh, I've always wanted one of those lovely carved hanko signature seal (I'm Japanese-Canadian- not sure what they're called in Chinese) as well!

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Damn, now I want some of these too, what do you melt the wax with to stop it getting sooty?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Hi guys,

Glad you liked the photos. I had fun melting wax sticks and making impressions! Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand. I made a beginner's mistake by aiming my hand held kitchen torch (came with a Crème brûlée kit) downward, catching the paper on fire. My husband was maaaaaad :blush:

Goldkiwi

You're welcome! And yes, check out Michaels. I was surprised to see the wax seals are so affordable. Let us know how you like it!

P-zero

You're welcome and thank you!

Shangas

They are a lot of fun. That's why I posted all the pricing information and where to get them. Hopefully I've made it a tad easier for people who've always wanted to try but never gotten around to it.

I am from Taiwan and I have my own Chinese stone seal. Unless you're using it to make wax impressions it's not as fun! I will try and post some pics later.

Artaddict

You're welcome! Glad you will be joining in the fun!

Farace

When you do, please let us know!

LDF

I am too chicken to mail them, yet... From other FPN members' reviews it seems that there is a 50/50 chance of survival. I do know that the large seal on the package (9.25 x 6.25 x 2") sent by Atelier Gargoyle arrived beautifully with no damage whatsoever. They used their own wax, which is marketed to be flexible and will survive the modern postal system.

Edited by Jen

Jen

---Point of Grace

My estimation is about 15 impressions per stick, both the J. Herbin and Atelier Gargoyle, keep in mind the square seals require a larger wax puddle (so if you're using a 3/4" round seal the sticks will probably yield more impressions. The Freund Mayer glue gun sticks... I'm guessing around 8 - 10 impressions.

I think the sealing wax and seals are very cool looking. I may look into getting some of that. I had no idea you could ink the seal before stamping it in the wax. That's a really nice effect.

How many seals can you get from a stick of sealing wax?

Jen

---Point of Grace

Jen, awesome review and pics. I ordered my wax and seals to send out Christmas cards. Wax came in last week, and I hope my poinsettia seal came in today. When I get a few done, I'll try to take some pics and post them.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

Wax seals have fascinated me ever since I found out what they were and how they were used. Has anybody here seen the film "Sleepy Hollow" with Johnny Depp in it?

In the beginning of the film, the old man and his son and one of the house-servants are putting the finishing touches to his will. You watch them sign the document and then fold it up then, drip all the wax all over the fold-sections and then - 'sludge!', down goes the seal. It's all done very dramatically and in the candlelight, it looks all spooky and mysterious and official. So cool.

By the way, Jen, do you actually USE your seals for anything? Like, if you send out letters or invitations or whatever, will you actually finish the thing, melt some wax onto it and smack the seal down?

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

I'm glad to see a fellow sealer. I put them at the bottom of cards and letters so they ride inside. or put them outside and then put that letter in a slightly larger envelope. My friends love getting them and I have a few chinese seals (double happiness and dragon) that i use. I always had the wicked wax so i was very happy to see the new sticks. I used to have a candle lit to use, but now use a barbeque butane lighter. No burned paper yet...crosses fingers, but some blackend seals went out. :roflmho:

I have ordered a custom monogran seal, which i had been looking for. So thank you.

Between multiple fountain pens with different cheery colors, and the multiple seals; Christmas cards are a lot of work.

Joi

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Damn, now I want some of these too, what do you melt the wax with to stop it getting sooty?

I use a kitchen torch that came with a Crème brûlée kit I got from Target last year right after Christmas. It was 50% off ($9.99) for four creme brule dish and the torch. It is exactly the same as the one on Atelier Gargoyle's website http://www.ateliergargoyle.com/pages/waxes/lighters.html.

I saw a kit in Bed Bath & Beyond last week for $14.99.

The torch uses butane fuel which I got from Wal-Mart for a little less than $3. The container is very small, not a big ole thing like those propane container that looks very intimidating. You should be able to make 80-100 impressions with one container.

Jen

---Point of Grace

Wax seals have fascinated me ever since I found out what they were and how they were used. Has anybody here seen the film "Sleepy Hollow" with Johnny Depp in it?

In the beginning of the film, the old man and his son and one of the house-servants are putting the finishing touches to his will. You watch them sign the document and then fold it up then, drip all the wax all over the fold-sections and then - 'sludge!', down goes the seal. It's all done very dramatically and in the candlelight, it looks all spooky and mysterious and official. So cool.

By the way, Jen, do you actually USE your seals for anything? Like, if you send out letters or invitations or whatever, will you actually finish the thing, melt some wax onto it and smack the seal down?

That does sound fascinating. I'll have to watch that movie again!

Yes I do actually use my seals! Mostly on birthday cards lately. It's really a nice finishing touch (to me anyway) :)

Jen

---Point of Grace

I am from Taiwan and I have my own Chinese stone seal. Unless you're using it to make wax impressions it's not as fun! I will try and post some pics later.

Jen, am I reading this correctly, to say that you can use the Asian stone seals with wax? This brings on a whole new level of interest for me! While a custom wax seal is most definitely out of my price range at the moment, I recall seeing DIY hanko at Daiso where you can carve the stone yourself (I assume it's something relatively soft, like soapstone?) and for 2 bucks a piece, that could be fun to play with, especially if there's a potential for using it as a traditional ink seal/stamp, and also with wax! Although maybe this type of stone wouldn't work with wax, who knows...

I look forward to seeing any pictures you post of these! :D

Sabrina

I've attempted to send wax seals through the US mail several times. I do a few Christmas cards each year- and these feature either fountain or dip pen along with a fleur de lis wax seal at the end in traditional dark red. I've tried them any number of ways, but the mail sorting machines have ALWAYS broken them. Of the 10 or so times I've tried over the past couple of years, NONE have made it through the US mail intact.