Noodler's Midnight Blue

Rasendyll

Well, here it goes, my maiden review since joining the network:

post-10074-1194488802_thumb.jpg

In scanning this I discovered that the ink is slower drying than I had realised-I made a coffee between writing this out and scanning but it still smeared a little, and a little evidence of that shows on the scan, but it doesn't really alter my opinion of an excellent ink. Here's a closeup which gives even more sense of the colour:

post-10074-1194489357_thumb.jpg

Hope people find this of interest- that Miya Argento is my latest pen purchase and gorgeous-a pen review soon, I hope.

Rasendyll

Edited by Rasendyll

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rasendyll

• psfred

• PAKMAN

• geonut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good review and lovely hand writing, looks similar to PR of the same name, maybe a touch lighter.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Let me add my thanks and admiration of your handwriting. I've been using this ink for a while and agree with what you say. I love the flow and prefer using it in fine-nibbed pens as it seems bluer with these. Occasionally there is a green undertone as with all these blue-black colors.

I look forward to your next review.

Thanks for the great review. Your handwriting would make any ink look good!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice review, nice ink!

On the drying issue, I have discovered that paper type greatly affects drying time. I have some company advertizing Post-It type pads at work that stay wet with most Noodler's inks (and some others) seemingly indefinitely. I can smear writing on them more than ten minutes later with wetter writing pens. The cheapo yellow pads at my other job dry instantly, no matter what pen or ink I use (they also feather, for what it's worth).

I do find that Noodler's inks often dry rather slowly on quality paper -- no problems on cheap photocopy paper though, but it then bleed through or feathers.

Thanks for the review.

Peter

I had a problem with smearing as well and put the bottle of Midnight Blue away. Now, having read your review, it makes me want to dig out of my drawer and give it another try!

Thanks much for the review -- gorgeous handwriting. The ink too is the kind of blue that I am partial to. It kind of looks like Sailor Blue Black don't you think?

Again thanks!

Doug

Thanks much for the review -- gorgeous handwriting. The ink too is the kind of blue that I am partial to. It kind of looks like Sailor Blue Black don't you think?

Again thanks!

Doug

Doug, Yes, it does look similar to the review of Sailor Blue/Black-=that isn't an ink that's easily available here so I haven't tried it out, but the review is certainly similar looking.

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

Rasendyll.

Ink? If you want us to pay attention to the ink, you can't hand write the review :-) You have extraordinarily great handwriting!

JN

Hey all - rare that I write lately, but thought I'd chime in.... I really love Noodler's Midnight Blue. Haven't noticed too much in the way of slow drying times, but then, I haven't really paid close enough attention either. It's been in the ink drawer on vacation for a while now, as I run through some Walnut, Lake Placid, Aurora Black, et al. Rasendyll's scans seem quite a bit lighter than what I've experienced with it: it's usually much darker/deeper for me (typically in a Skyline or Pelikan M620. On the regular ol' AMPAD papers I use at work, it works fine but does seem to smear a bit (hence the vacation) but on my Rhodia it's wonderful.

Hope this adds some help to the "wafflers"

Scott

In scanning this I discovered that the ink is slower drying than I had realised-I made a coffee between writing this out and scanning but it still smeared a little, and a little evidence of that shows on the scan, but it doesn't really alter my opinion of an excellent ink. Here's a closeup which gives even more sense of the colour:

Hope people find this of interest- that Miya Argento is my latest pen purchase and gorgeous-a pen review soon, I hope.

Rasendyll

I agree with others here, your handwriting would make any ink look wonderful! Thanks for the review.

John

• 2 months later...

I had the pleasure of experiencing this ink today. This is (in my opinion) Noodler's first true blue-black ink. I adore Aircorp, but it is more a green-black than anything else. With Midnight Blue, there is no blatant hint of green. Gorgeous shading and an utterly irresistible hue saturated with dignity and authority.

Good on you for expounding on this obscure ink.

Love the color, hate the smudge!

Rasendyll

This is the kind of review that I won't be able to get out of my head, and after a few months will ultimately lead to me getting some of this ink (which I never liked before, seen it a lot because Jose Anes loves it!), which would be even more significant because I don't like Blue inks. People like you and Hana and M4rina should be paid to review these inks with your lovely handwriting!!!

Do you ever use any superflex pens?

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

• 2 weeks later...

I just received this ink and would like to add that this ink is partly waterproof.

In hot water some of its blackness fades but the remaining blue seems to be bulletproof.

I'd say there is a 20-25% fade and whatever is left stays.

Very good ink if this is what you are looking for.

I still can't decide if Diamine Blue/Black is better or not.

Mame

(My name is explained in my profile:) )

Pens I got: Pelikan M200 & M605; Pilot Cavalier, Lamy Al-Star Graphite, Pelikan Pelikano Black, Pelikan Future, Hero M61, Waterman Phileas, Lamy 2000

Pens I want: Pelikan M805, Pelikan Majesty

Stuff on the way: Diamine Prussian Blue

• 10 months later...

Wow, that's an amazingly beautiful ink! And incredible handwriting! I am more than a little jealous. ;-)

With everything I'm hearing about Noodler's interaction with piston-fillers, I'm wondering if this would be safe in my Pelikan. Any word on this?