Bexley "Columbus Pen Show 2007" Review

Belan

(Apologies for the quality of the pictures, this is my first time doing this)

post-10255-1194318471_thumb.jpg

post-10255-1194318482_thumb.jpg

Physical Stats:

Capped: 5 7/32"

Posted: 6 5/8"

Cap Length: 2 3/8"

Cap Circumference: 1 15/16"

Barrel Length (sans nib): 4 1/16"

Barrel Circumference: 1 5/8"

Nib: 7/8"

Material: Celluloid

Pattern: Marbled

Primary Colour: Opalescent Chocolate

Secondary Colour: Opalescent Forest Green

Furniture: Gold Plate (?)

Nib: 18K, 2 Tone Bexley marked (F)

Engraving (No ink): (Line 1) Columbus Pen Show 2007 (Line 2) Bexley 13/25

Clip Style: Rolling Ball

Weight: Not available yet, but it is "moderately hefty".

Subjective opinion:

I like pens with a little heft, and this one fits the bill. It's modeled after an older pen, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure someone on these forums knows. I've seen the one it's modeled on and the celluloid is a near perfect match, while the furniture is a little different. The opalecent celluloid is absolutely beautiful, even if the colour choices take a little while to grow on you.

The nib is a typical Bexley nib, fairly firm, and quite smooth. If I had one complaint is that the pen writes a little too wetly at the moment ... the fine nib puts down a line that looks like a medium due to the volume of ink being released by the feeder. That flow of ink, however, does mean that the nib flows very, very smoothly. I've tried Aurora blue, and Waterman Blue/Black in the pen so far. The pen did not have problems with either ink, but my personal opinion was that the Aurora flowed a little less (which is important to me if the feeder is over-flowing).

I preferred using the pen un-posted for most of my writing efforts. I have medium sized hands, and the pen was able to fit comfortably in the crook of my index finger and thumb perfectly, without overbalancing. A person with larger hands would most likely want to post the pen, since it was "just right" for me.

On a personal note, the Columbus Pen Show of 2007 was the first show I've ever attended. I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time several people whose names I came to know online as experts in particular fields. My most memorable experience was when Al Mayman of Penultimate was showing me a Parker 47, and Richard Binder walked up to talk about it. After informing him that my purpose at the show was to find my first ever Parker 51, he let me use "THE" 51 that rides in his pocket on a daily basis, so I would have something to compare the other Parker 51s at the show to. This pen will be my reminder of my very first pen show, and how much I enjoyed it.

James Conner

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Belan

• Johnson

• jd50ae

• Shelley

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

done, nice photos and a nice pen to come away with, plus you touched "the Pen"...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

You touched it...? I am in awe......http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon_bow.gif

Touched it ... heck, I wrote a line in my notebook with it ;)

Edited by Belan

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

For the record, folks, the celluloid used for the Show Pen, as for all other Bexley celluloid pens, is real Celluloid, i.e., camphorated cellulose nitrate, not the more modern and much less explosive cellulose acetate (which is not actually celluloid at all). Judging by the quantity of the stuff that I've seen in the Bexley factory, I assume smoking is not permitted on the premises. :)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg