Pelikan 605 in solid blue

Cloud

Hello,

This is a review writing using my pen on 32 lb HP paper with my own printing design.

The color of the pen is best in the picture of my collection at the bottom. This nib depend a lot on the paper used. On my 32lb paper it is dryer then ordinary paper.

Enjoy!

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/859/img0885jj5.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8826/img0886fe0.jpg

Collection

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3217/img0889go6.jpg

Edited by Cloud

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloud

• jonro

• andyk

• MrBlue

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the handwritten version!

The 605 is one of my favorite pens. An excellent writer - mine is a fine as well and fantastically smooth.

Ditto. It is my daily writer and in my breast pocket everyday.

All 3 Pelikans I have have been a dream.

Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F

Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

I received delivery of a Pelikan M605 on Monday and had to send it back because the nib (fine) was really scratchy. To my eye, it looked like the tines were slightly out of alignment. It's my second Pelikan purchase, and my second scratchy Pelikan nib. I'm asking for a nib replacement with an in-store test before re-shipment to ensure smoothness. My prior purchase, a Pelikan Piazza Navona (M620), had a similarly scratchy nib. Since I had paid full retail (over $300) for that pen at a mall pen shop, I was pretty annoyed and just returned it. Suffice it to say, I haven't been impressed with Pelikan nib quality.

Other than the scratchy nib, I liked everything else about the M605 -- the color, the capacity, feel, etc. I compared it to a Blue Waterman Charleston I have, and the two pens are very similar in size and color. The big difference, however, is filling mechanism (piston vs. CC). If only the Pelikan had that smooooooth Waterman nib...

My Pelikan m605 is one of my favorite pens, and possibly the most reliable pen in the drawer. Thanks for the handwritten review.

Thanks for that review. I have one and it's filled with Noodler's Manhattan Blue - a perfect match! My M nib is a nice juicy writer and the color on white paper is lovely.

The pen covers your nib rating in the picture. Is it a 4/5? I guess I lucked out with mine. It's very smooth.

Edited by Tricia

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Thanks for the review, Cloud. I am always interested in Pelikan variations.

I am not a Parker fan, but I couldn't help noticing a gorgeous patterned brown/copper Parker in the photo of your pen tray. What Parker is that? It seems vintage. The pattern is just lovely.

The nib rating is 4/5... I'll try to figure out what to do to have it smoothen.

My tray as:

1 Waterman Skywriter (unrestored 1/14)

2- Molteni Cilicia LE

3- Pelikan 605

4- Conway Stewart 76

5- Waterman Skywriter restored

6- Parker Vacumatic major

7- Esterbrook J in black

8- Sheaffer Crest

9- Esterbrook M2 aerometric

10- Sheaffer valiant snorkel

11- Waterman Kultur converted to an eyedropper

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

Cloud,

Nice review and a nice selection of pens.

How do you convert the Kulture to an eyedropperi s it just a matter of putting the ink in the barrel and screwing on the section, perhaps using something to temporarily seal the threads or is it more complicated?

I have several No Nonsense BP and have just got hold of some spare nibs on ebay and am thinking about converting a couple of those, or maybe one of the 2 Kulturs I have.

Andy

Converting a Kultur to ED is really quite simple,

1- you take out converter ;)

2- you put 100% silicone grease on the threads : found either at a local divers shop or from pen parts provider (tryphon, woodbin, ...)

3- Put ink and screw back

Never leaked in the 6 months since I have done this. Also, never did any mess neither ;)

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

Converting a Kultur to ED is really quite simple,

1- you take out converter ;)

2- you put 100% silicone grease on the threads : found either at a local divers shop or from pen parts provider (tryphon, woodbin, ...)

3- Put ink and screw back

Never leaked in the 6 months since I have done this. Also, never did any mess neither ;)

6 months and that barrel is probably still haf full.

lol YUP still half full. However it's not my favorite writer, so it doesn't get much use... (kultur of course)

For the 605

I smoothen the nib a little and it already performs much better

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

Cloud,

Thanks I will give it a try with one of my No Nonsense pens and see how I go, will probably try with a washable ink first just in case.

Andy

Ink flow as improved... I guess I should have washed the pen with some detergent at first :headsmack: Also, I smoothed the nib a little more... It's getting better and better by the day.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

I received my m605 back from the online retailer yesterday. They swapped out the original, scratchy nib with a nice smooth nib. HUGE difference in smoothness between first and second nibs. I have no complaints about the pen now, and I was pleased at the retailer's customer service. It will probably become a daily workhorse pen for me.

Learned how to smoothen a nib yesterday at the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society meeting. Just smoothen my Pelikan, the nib is buttery smooth now. Also the line is just a tad larger, probably because of the better contact on the sheet. It's perfect.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

• 2 years later...

How did you do it?

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

• 4 weeks later...

How did you do it?

Well, it's been a couple of years so there's no guarantee that he'll right back. It's likely that he used a micro abrasive sheet, wet it, then drew the nib across it with little to no pressure. There's a fine line between smoothing and damaging your nib, and it sounds like he knew this since he learned from the Ottawa pen meeting after all.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

I got my 605 on sale for E-99 or $150. It had a wonderful medium nib. I sent it off to Pelikan for a BB...which was not as good, but I had only sent it off for a BB to have enough nib to make a cursive italic by a Nib Meister.

Then Pen buying mania, bought new pens.....I was a Ebay junkie.

Next year :lol: I'm getting that nib Binderized.....

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.