Danitrio Alphaplus in Blue/Rust

southpaw

Background

This was my first expensive pen, at least as viewed from within my budgetarily constrained paradigm. Danitrios had intrigued me from the first time I saw one on FPN. I began looking into them and looked for one that would fall within a realistic wishful budget. I saw the Alphaplus in Blue/Rust on the Dani website and was captured by its looks.

An unexpected blessing financially opened the door of opportunity to get one, so I emailed Kevin and found out the price and delivery time. The pen initially came with a stub which was about 0.9mm wide, but ran into some hiccups with drying out quickly. After consulting with Kevin and trying some home remedies, the pen went back to Kevin for tweaking. Kevin with www.internetpens.com is known for his outstanding service, and for good reason (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

While the pen was there, I asked Kevin to swap the nib out as the stub was a bit too broad for me even though it was just as he had described (hey, it was my first stub — can’t newbies make mistakes?). When the pen returned to me, it was much better and now fitted with my first true flex nib (medium width) and an ebonite feed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/DaniAlphacapped02r.jpg

Overall Design (4/5)

Two traits immediately jump out at you when you see this pen: 1) this is no small pen; and 2) “Wow! What a finish!” More on each of these under their respective sections.

The clip has a rather interesting shape as can be seen in the pictures. It will fit over some thicker materials, but is very tight and, unfortunately in a pen of this caliber, not spring loaded.

The cap will post securely, but does require some pressure to become secure. This is a possible drawback given the wonderful finish. The cap ring is engraved with “Alphaplus” and “Trio USA.”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/danitrio-uncapped.jpg

(Kevin's photo)

Size & Weight (5/5)

Although a large pen, the Alphaplus is rather light, especially unposted. The cap ring and substantial clip add a bit of weight when posted. Whether you prefer posted or unposted, the pen has very nice balance.

Dimensions on the Alphaplus are:

Pen length capped = 143 mm, uncapped = 129 mm, posted = 180 mm, grip = 18 mm not including threads

Pen barrel diameter max = 13.5 mm, grip = tapered 10.0 - 11.6 mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/DaniAlphacomparisonr.jpg

Top to bottom: Pelikan M805, Danitrio Alphaplus, Pelikan M200

Nib (4.5/5)

The nib is a work of art, both aesthetically and functionally. It is two-tone 18k-750 gold with an incredible design in the center. When writing with little or no pressure, the pen puts down a nice, wet true medium line. The nib is also very smooth. But what you really want to know is how does this flexy rascal write?

Prior to this nib, my experience with flex nibs was limited to Esterbrook flex nibs (nothing against Esties, so simmer down Estie-holics). This nib, however, requires much less pressure to flex than the Esties I had played with previously.

While I am nowhere near the flexpert of Corien or Antonios, even I can get some very interesting line variation out of this one. You can check out the writing sample at the bottom, but don’t get too critical. And if you’re a flexpert, you may want to avert your eyes lest the sight be too traumatic for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/DaniAlphanib.jpg

(The nib has some Ottoman Azure ink on it. Sorry for the quality - equipment limitation.)

Filling Mechanism (3/5)

It’s a cartridge / converter filler, so nothing exciting here. It works, and reliably. Blah . . . blah . . . blah.

Fit & Finish (5/5)

Fittings are all top-notch and tight. The finish is the true highlight of this pen: four-color celluloid polished to perfection! As you turn the pen in the light, metallic blue and purple embedded chips suddenly leap out at you. Some seem to be deep under the surface, yet catch the light nonetheless. Some appear to be of varying depth, with one corner of the flake near the surface and the rest of the flake drifting down into the depths of the black celluloid.

I know that we’ve all heard it so often that it has almost become meaningless, but pictures cannot capture the depth and beauty of this pen. Even Kevin’s excellent picture (which I have also attached - but note the previous nib), while vastly superior to my own, still don’t do it justice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/danitrio-capped.jpg

(Kevin's photo)

Value (5/5)

Value is often hard to define. In the case of this pen, you have to consider what was truly purchased: 1) incredible four-color celluloid body (typically much higher priced); 2) an 18k nib; and 3) Kevin’s unbeatable service (usual disclaimer). The last is certainly not least. All things considered, it’s a very good value. Thanks Kev!

Summary (4.5/5)

Stunningly good looks with a finish that has amazing depth. A flexy nib that gives good variation and a nice, wet line, but not too wet. Bottom line: The Danitrio Alphaplus is a winner!

My poor attempt at flex-nib writing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/alphapluswritingsample.jpg

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• Roger

• Maja

• handlebar

An even better review than the last, SP! :bunny1:

Your diction and syntactical constructions are up another notch. Eminently more readable and enjoyable. :) You are a fast study! :D

Tell me (as someone who has never held a flexy nib, let alone written with one) what happens if you write with that nib using no pressure, at all. Making no demands of the nib wrt line variation, does it then perform smoothly as a fast writing nib for, say note taking? (There I go again with my quest for speed. :( )

One thing that I would like to see in pen reviews is the price listed. With modern pens, this shouldn't be a problem unless the vendor owes you one, and has just given you the shirt/blouse off his/her back. In that case, I understand reluctance to post actual price. Even then, the MSRP could be posted and we could extrapolate from there.

Pretty pen, wonderful review; now I want one! :P

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

An even better review than the last, SP! :bunny1:

Your diction and syntactical constructions are up another notch. Eminently more readable and enjoyable. :) You are a fast study! :D

Tell me (as someone who has never held a flexy nib, let alone written with one) what happens if you write with that nib using no pressure, at all. Making no demands of the nib wrt line variation, does it then perform smoothly as a fast writing nib for, say note taking? (There I go again with my quest for speed. :( )

Thanks.

Thanks.

With no pressure, it's a nice and smooth medium line. I'm not sure you can "kick it into high gear" and maintain no pressure. If you could, I suppose you could write fast theoretically. However, realize that given the flex nib, pressure exerted when moving sideways results in a scrathy nib as the tines spread and you're catching their edges. If you want to write fast, get a smooth nail. After all, why just have one fp :D . IMHO, that's the general take on flex nibs and writing fast. I'm sure others with more experience and expertise willl chime in.

HTH, southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Congratulations on your first "expensive" pen, southpaw...and thanks for another great review! I have three Danitrio fountain pens ( a "Tosca", an "Avant Garde: and a "Brilliante" ) and the nibs on all three are very good...but they are not flexy. The "Alphaplus" model reminded me of my "Tosca" but I was surprised to hear that it has some flex. I think it's great that some pen companies (like Danitrio) are still making nibs that are flexy...

With no pressure, it's a nice and smooth medium line. I'm not sure you can "kick it into high gear" and maintain no pressure. If you could, I suppose you could write fast theoretically. However, realize that given the flex nib, pressure exerted when moving sideways results in a scrathy nib as the tines spread and you're catching their edges. If you want to write fast, get a smooth nail. After all, why just have one fp :D .

Certainly not advocating one pen, but my hypothetical is, on the occasion when you have just that pen in hand and the situation calls for fast, rather than pretty, could you unload the tines and write fast, but smoothly. I gather that it is difficult, at best. I am a fancier of smooth nails, and I guess I'm not ready for a flexy nib.

I haven't checked the website, but is that pen available in smooth nails?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Maja, this is not a "standard" Alphaplus nib, but rather another nib and feed unit. This is one of Kevin's / Danitrio's true flex nib - not much pressure to flex.

Roger, the standard Alphaplus nibs are rather firm, and if you told Kevin you wanted a nail, I'm sure he could work with you. BTW, they do come with steel nibs for quite a bit less than the gold, and I would expect they would be smooth and firm. Regarding unloading and taking off, I don't know. I'm not that adept and writing fast with no pressure. As this is, IMHO, a true flex nib and doesn't take a whole lot of pressure, it would take a very light hand to do it, and I'm not there (yet, if ever).

Thanks, I'll check out Kevin's website.

I guess the nibs aren't easily changed a la Pelikan. I guess that an 18K Japanese medium with ebonite feed is kinda my thinking of what would suit me. Other colors? Never mind, I'll just see what is on Kevin's site and, heck, if we make the SFO show next month (still a go, Denis), I can talk directly to Kevin. :)

Nice looking pen!

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

• 1 year later...

Great review!!! Even if i have come to it rather late.I have this same model pen with the stock nib and have had no problems whatsoever from the pen.I admit i did break the top off where the pocket slide meets the cap.A little glue and all is well.I will be using it for a home only pen though :P

Very good value!!

JD

• 5 years later...

Great review!

Who is Kevin and how do I contact him?