Noodler's Zhivago

Dan Carmell

I don't think my work scanner really caught the color well--perhaps I'll try again when I get a moment. But I was surprized to see that Zhivago hasn't made the review section yet, especially as so many of the Noodler's inks have made it.

I think that on the basis of color, Zhivago is the most interesting and unique color, not just in the Noodler's line, but across the spectrum. And in this modern world of literally hundreds of ink colors, that's saying a lot!

It's a complex color, very rich and expressive, with a green that doesn't say green, but instead hints at age and antique views of papers and pen (is this sounding like a wine review?).

Just one caviat: I've not used it in a fine or XF nib, so I don't know how it comes across in a thin line that likely robs it of its complexity, but I suspect that it simply resembles an off shade of black. This is an ink that calls out for a bold, italic, or flexy nib.

best, Dan

post-35-1124986127_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pvdiamon

• Bryan

• Dan Carmell

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're correct about the appearance with a F or XF nib... Zhivago resembles black. However, I've had excellent luck using a flexible dip pen with Zhivago. The thin lines appear black, but add some flex and the green comes out.

--Ron

I don't think my work scanner really caught the color well--perhaps I'll try again when I get a moment. But I was surprized to see that Zhivago hasn't made the review section yet, especially as so many of the Noodler's inks have made it.

well, i think you hit the nail on the head - the almost-but-not-quite-black-and-subtle inks are very hard to capture digitally. You seemed to do just fine though. Does look very nice and does seem like it would make a good "business" ink as was discussed in the main FP Forum. Thanks, Dan.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

How would you compare the Zhivago color to that of Air Corp?

Edited by pvdiamon

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Guest Denis Richard
But I was surprized to see that Zhivago hasn't made the review section yet, especially as so many of the Noodler's inks have made it.

27... a rapid count shows that 27 Noodler's colours have been reviewed :o Blamed it on Nathan who keeps adding more and more colours :D

On the other hand, it keeps Wim and Noble Savage occupied :P :lol:

Denis.

I don't think Zhivago and Aircorp Blue-Black can be compared. Aircorp is a blue-black, one much like the traditional b-bs, IMO. Zhivago is a green-black, to put it baldly, but a much richer, more complex color than that minimal phrase suggests. So comparing them is truly apples and oranges!

Dan

Hi Denis,

But I was surprized to see that Zhivago hasn't made the review section yet, especially as so many of the Noodler's inks have made it.

27... a rapid count shows that 27 Noodler's colours have been reviewed :o Blamed it on Nathan who keeps adding more and more colours :D

On the other hand, it keeps Wim and Noble Savage occupied :P :lol:

Denis.

:lol: :lol: :ph34r: :D

Yeah, and still quite a few non-reviewed ones to choose from, and Herbin, and Visconti, some more Waterman, PR, .... :P :P

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thanks for the review! Truly a nice looking ink - your handwriting is also quite nice, especially given the challenges you mentioned in the other forum. Enjoyed the review.

BTW, just because an ink has been reviewed once doesn't mean it can't be reviewed again. With the differences in pens, nibs, handwritings, scanners, cameras, etc., the more looks the better (IMHO)!

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

The thin lines appear black, but add some flex and the green comes out.

A bit tangential to this review, but this is exactly the effect I've been looking for, but in a brown ink--something which looks like real sepia ink! Has anyone found one like that for fountain pens?

And I didn't have the heart to tell her why.
And there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye.

I was looking for the reference and didn't find it, but I thought I recently saw a discussion on AirCorp stating it really looks more greenish black. In that discussion, they were talking about nib size, and suggesting that you couldn't see the green very well, unless you used a broad nib. Does anyone else recall that discussion?

Edited by pvdiamon

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Here is the quote I finally found from the Noble Savage:

"I really dig this color. I still dont know whay it is classified as a blue Black. It isnt!!! It is a greenish black. Awesome flow properties!! It will make the most stubbern pen gush with ink!! The ink makes the pen nib float across the paper. This is on the same level as Aurora Black when it comes to saturation, flow and lubercation. Great stuff!!! " from March 2005.

A reply to this suggested calling the color "Olive black". Does anyone else see the green in Aircorp, or is Zhivago more "green black?" thanks.

John in NC

Here is the quote I finally found from the Noble Savage:

"I really dig this color. I still dont know whay it is classified as a blue Black. It isnt!!! It is a greenish black. Awesome flow properties!! It will make the most stubbern pen gush with ink!! The ink makes the pen nib float across the paper. This is on the same level as Aurora Black when it comes to saturation, flow and lubercation. Great stuff!!! " from March 2005.

A reply to this suggested calling the color "Olive black". Does anyone else see the green in Aircorp, or is Zhivago more "green black?" thanks.

Aircorp does have a green look to it when in good lighting, otherwise it is very dark and appears to be black.

Let me just add that I love Aircorp, a great color!

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

I don't think Zhivago and Aircorp Blue-Black can be compared.  Aircorp is a blue-black, one much like the traditional b-bs, IMO.  Zhivago is a green-black, to put it baldly, but a much richer, more complex color than that minimal phrase suggests.  So comparing them is truly apples and oranges!

Dan

I would have to disagree that Aircorp is a Blue-Black, though this is indeed what the label states, "Noodler's Aircorp blue-black". The bottle I have is a very dark black with a hint of green, a true Green-Black ink.

I wish I had a bottle of Zhivago, I'd really like to do a comparison.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan

Well, I had a completely different sample of Aircorp Blue-Black than you chaps, as my bottle doesn't have a trace of green in it. Simple a fairly classic blue-black. I wonder what Nathan would say?

Dan

Pendemonium's review of this ink seems to be in line with my impressions, that state:

Aircorp Blue Black - Introduced in June 2004, this ink was made to replicate the old Aircorp color and is not your typical blue-black, it is dark and heavy with green tones.

And their review of Zhivago isn't too different:

Zhivago - At first glance, Zhivago might look black, but on closer inspection you will detect hints of dark green.

I think we need a side by side comparison of these two inks.

Bryan

I would have to agree with Bryan 100% on that. I used Aircorp BlueBlack on my Bexley with a Broad nib Versus my bexley medium nib. The results were very different. The thinner the nib the more black the ink showed. The broad nib really showed a combination of a black outline with highlights of an almost greenish ottoman azure. It was rather a funky looking comparison. I really do not think it should be Aircorp Blue Black as I stated earlier. I think it should be called "Aircorp greenish with a hint of aquamarine/ Black ink" :lol:

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I'd like to see a comparison, as well, but I suspect that the usual scan or photograph would be highly challenged to put the nuances of these two on our screens.

I don't own either color...YET! I really like the idea of a greenish cast to an otherwise almost black ink. Neither of these are "eternal", I guess or did I read that Air Corp is fairly resistant to water?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Neither of these are "eternal", I guess or did I read that Air Corp is fairly resistant to water?

Aircorp is not water resistant, I sure wish it was!

Bryan

I thought it AirCorp was recently added to the group called "bulletproof". Am I remembering wrong?

John

John in NC

If I remember correctly, Greg Clark did a test where he left written samples on his lawn where the sprinklers would soak it everyday and posted the results in his Ink Sampler. I believe the Noodler's ink made with black as the base color survived at least as long as the paper. I have yet to buy the book, so I'm relying on memory.

Almost forgot, "bullet proof" equals fraud proof which means that the ink can survive all known check washing tricks. Nathan stands behind his Noodler's Black so strongly that he has a $1000 offer to anyone that can wash it.

Edited by Sidney

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President