The Signum Carina

acogbill

Introduction

My first Signum was an Orione. It was an excellent pen, and quickly found a place in my rotation. Remembering my experience with the Orione, I decided to pick up another Signum--the Carina. Having owned the pen for a few months now, I feel that I can give a fair review of it.

Appearance

The Carina is offered in a variety of colors and patterns. All models have either sterling or vermeil trim. I chose a brown, flecked color with vermeil called "deep earth." As the pen is turned, iridescent sections which were previously invisible catch the light. These pictures represent the pen fairly well, IMO:

http://www.empirepens.com/graphics/carina/brn_fp2.jpg

The fountain pen.

http://www.empirepens.com/graphics/carina/deep_earth_rb.jpg

While this picture is clearly of a rollerball, it helps show what I mean about the iridescent bits.

Both pictures from empirepens.com, since my own photography skills don't exist.

There is a good amount of trim on the pen. Total, I count six separate sections: Signum's chariot wheel, a trim ring around the top of the cap, a trim ring around the bottom of the cap, a trim ring at the end of the barrel, the clip, and the section. The bottom cap band says "SIGNUM" on the front and "ITALY" on the back. The cap is twelve sided, although the bands and barrel are round.

Personally, I like the looks of the Carina. The vermeil trimmed models are a bit blingy. If you prefer something more subdued, the silver models look less flashy, IMO.

Fit and Finish

The build quality, to my inexpert eyes, appears to be very good. All parts of the pen are highly polished. The plastic and metal parts join smoothly; nothing is loose. Threading on the cap and barrel is smooth, and it is easy to tell when a piece is fully threaded. My only worry wold be about the threads of the cap--since the barrel threads are metal, might the cap's non-metal threads wear out? The acrylic feels hard and resistant to wear, so maybe my fears are unjustified.

The metal seems to be especially well finished. Everything feels solid and precisely made. I especially like the clip. It is slightly curved and tapers a bit toward the tip. Two vertical, indentation-like lines (see the picture) create an interesting shape. While I don't usually use clips, this one functions well, sliding onto most fabrics easily. Best of all, the clip is one solid piece of metal, not folded or bent.

http://www.empirepens.com/graphics/carina/bw_cap.jpg

Also from empirepens.com. This picture shows off the clip well.

Design, Size, and Weight

I'd call the Carina a full sized pen. Here are some numbers, from Richard Binder's site:

Posted length: 6 3/32"

Unposted length: 5 1/16"

Capped length: 5 5/18"

Weight: 38.1g, or 1.35 ounces

The Carina sports a metal section, which may be a turnoff for some. The section is thinnest at the center, negating some possible gripping issues. According to Richard's site, the pen is a bit over half an inch thick. I think of it as a medium to thick thickness.

Unposted, the pen exhibits more weight toward the nib than toward the end of the barrel. If I rest the uncapped pen on my finger so that the metal of the section is next to, but not touching, my skin, then the pen balances perfectly. If I repeat this experiment with the cap posted, my finger must be about an inch away from the section for the pen to balance--around the center of the posted length, and close to the lip of the cap.

IMO, the Carina is not a perfect writing pen. That's not to say that it's uncomfortable, but if comfort in writing were my only criteria in rating pens, I wouldn't give the Carina the highest marks (that distinction would probably go to a Parker 75 or a similarly ergonomic pen). I'm still undecided about the metal section. On the one hand, it is very hard and feels odd when my hands get sweaty. On the other hand, the latter issue I experience with plastic, too. As well, I like the forward weight of the pen unposted. This is entirely due to the section's weight. I've had no issues with slipping--the pen is as gripable as the best, and better than others in my collection. Even so, YMMV.

Nib

The Carina comes with a monotone 18kt nib. I believe that Bock makes Signum's nibs. Around the breather hole is Signum's chariot wheel; below that, "18Kt-750," and below that, "ITALY." On the left hand side, in tiny font (I had to use a magnifying glass), is a star shaped symbol and "1776VI." A pretty nib, but not the most beautiful I've seen.

One reason I like Signum pens is that they are offered at Richard's site. Both of mine came from him; little else needs to be said regarding the writing quality. Flow is excellent, the pen starts up immediately, the line is a true F, and of course, the nib glides over every paper I've used. Top notch!

Filling System

The Carina is a C/C filler. It comes with a converter and two cartridges; I have only used the converter. I suppose that a different filling system could not be added without an increase in price. Another complaint about the filling system: the converter will click against the inside of the barrel if I give the pen a sharp tap. I doubt that there's any danger of it coming loose, though.

Aside from the above issues, the pen holds ink as well as any C/C pen.

Value

Like most companies, Signum's MSRPs are rather steep, but the street prices are reasonable. The Carina can be had for a bit over $200. Is this fair? I think so, but I don't know what others would think. I can only hope that my description of the pen is enough to help a potential buyer make a decision.

Personal Opinion

IMO, the Carina is a very good pen. It is pretty, sturdily made, and writes well. I forsee more Signums in my future.

Even so, the pen is not my every day carrier. As I have mentioned, I would rather have a non C/C filling system. As well, the Carina does not in any way resemble a "strictly for business" pen. The vermeil trimmed models are rather flashy, IMO. For me, it is more of a leisurely pen for home use, and in this respect, the pen excels.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with any retailer mentioned here.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gendo

• Richard

• acogbill

• kauloltran

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this review. I'm curious about Signum pens, and this review is helpful. When you say they're available from "Richard," do you mean Richard Binder? I don't see any Signums available at his site.

I think the price is pretty good for an 18K nib.

I hope you continue to enjoy your pen!

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg

When you say they're available from "Richard," do you mean Richard Binder? I don't see any Signums available at his site.

Please note that the review here was posted four years ago. We were a Signum dealer until Empire Pens, the U.S. Signum distributor, decided to start selling direct to the consumer instead of going through dealers.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Psh. Sorry to have been so dumb--and thankful for the explanation too, Richard. :embarrassed_smile:

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg

Hello,

Signum Pens are again available in North America through Ambiente Promotions. The relationship with Empire has been over for some time. Our partnership with Italy began just a couple of months ago, and we have opened a few accounts in Canada with the goal of pursuing US dealers in the early New Year. For updates on Signum, you can visit www.luxurybrands.ca and pennesignum.com

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help,

Best Regards,

Elizabeth