Cute 1980s Sheaffer Blue School Boy Fountain Pen

jmkeuning

About a month ago, a post somewhere on FPN pointed me to this pen. A pen that can get from China to the US for $5.50? I was intrigued. I ordered it for no reason other than for $5.50 I felt that I could not go wrong, and since I was just being introduced to FPs, I wanted to see what the quality-floor looked like. I thought that at this price, I thought I might get close to scraping the bottom.

I should also note that this is my first review. Even though this is a cheap pen, I will endeavor to seriously review this pen! I am mostly doing this review because I have the Bar Exam on Tuesday and Wednesday and I want to prove to myself that I can do something other than study. Plus, my brain needs a diversion. Also, if I fail the exam, I want to be able to look back and have something to blame!

I borrowed the Topic Title from the vendor. You know him and love him - Alan Koo.

1. First Impressions - This pen is OK! I was expecting something so cheap... but this pen bears none of the badges of cheapness. The cap snaps on tightly. There are no sharp edges to the plastic. The clip is tight. The section screws into the barrel smoothly, with a significant amount of threads. The ink windows are clear and flush with the barrel.

2. Appearance & Finish - perhaps I covered too much of this above... This pen looks rather nice. I do not think that it looks any cheaper that a Waterman Kultur. The blue color is consistent, there are no flaws in the plastic. There in an interesting translucent "bottom" at the top of the cap. The rings at the base of the cap, while plastic, are finished appropriately and sit flush with the cap body, again, a smooth transition with no rough edges.

3. Design/ Size/Weight - I do not have my Sapporo here, but I think this pen is about the same size. One difference is that the Sapporo cannot really be used (by me) unposted because the taper at the end of the barrel rests on my had, placing the pen at a strange angle. This Shaeffer can be used unposted. It is long enough that the pen rides over and beyond my hand. The weight, while not substantial, is not too light.

4. Nib Design & Performance - Of course, this pen will pretty much fail anyone's reasonable expectation of nib performance. The nib is a medium and lays down a line similar to my Pelikan M200 Fine but wider than my Kultur Fine. I do not have any other M nibs to compare it to. Writing with this pen is like taking a train to Skipville. First, it does not start right away. Second, you have to hold the pen at a very specific angle or you skip, and skip, and skip... For me, skipping makes a pen pretty much useless. You might as well use a ball point if your fountain pen is skipping. (EDIT: After some flushing and use, the starting and skipping problems are fixed).

5. The Filling System - Came with a cartridge. Upon inserting the cart, a ball is released into the cart. This is nice! The ink is similar to my sailor Blue Black and rather nice to look at (when you can get it delivered to the paper!). I do not know about converters for this pen. It seems that there is room, but I do not know. I doubt I will try because I will likely not ever seriously use this pen.

6. Cost/Value - Seriously now. Five bucks? But, if I am not going to use it, I suppose the value is zero!

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion - Well, it was worth the experience of having a pen delivered to the US from China for $5.50. Unfortunately, as long as I have other writing options, this pen will not see any use!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/ShaefferBlueSchool1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/ShaefferBlueSchool2.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/ShaefferBlueSchool3.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/ShaefferBlueSchool4.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/ShaefferBlueSchool5.jpg

Edited by jmkeuning

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmkeuning

• stephen0308

• Shangas

• arbatrmwc

I have four of these little guys (blue, red, yellow, and pastel green). All fine points. They're all excellent writers. I suspect that the skipping you experienced will resolve with some flushing. If not. . . . well you can pitch it without a second thought.

The only drawbacks for me are: (1) Their size. They were designed for school kids, so they're very small. (2) Ink creeping and gathering on top of the nib, but this does not effect their functionality. Nonetheless, I like the way they write, so I keep them in my pen rotation.

Regards,

Ray

I have one of these in clear plastic picked up for £1.99, it writes Ok, haven't had any problems with starting and in my opinion well worth the price. Tends to sit next to my computer at home, if I need to write anyting down quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some flushing and I do not have any starting problems. Some nib creep though.

I will edit the review accordingly.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I got a Sheaffer school pen similar to yours (it was clear instead of colored) for about the same price. It was the pen that got me hooked on FPs - nice writer, very sturdy. I have never had trouble with skipping (M point) but have noticed nib creep. Not that I mind, really. I do use a converter in mine and it fits fine. Charge it up with some Noodler's permanent black, and I'm ready for anything! :D

• 1 year later...

Just joined today so this is my first post!!

I am a school teacher and used to have one of these Scheaffer Schoolboy pens in green and loved it to bits. As with everything, it seems in a school, it has sprouted its own set of legs and taken a wander.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy a replacement, it just seemed to work so well for me, felt right etc. etc.

The guy in China who claimed to sell them, no longer does, so if anyone has any information at all I would be really grateful.

Many thanks

Steve

Welcome!

Here's a link to a current eBay listing for a lot of four. This seller (no affiliation) seems to have a bunch of these available, singly and in lots, straight auctions and "Buy It Now" sales.

I imagine you'd want to check on shipping costs to the UK, of course - this seller is in Canada.

Good luck,

Jon

I have those pens---a red and a yellow! Bought them on eBay years ago. Both are nice writers, if a bit squeaky, and they never gave me any flow problems.

Wish I had a green one!

What, by the way, is that translucent pink pen in your original post, jm?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.