Montblanc 149

meanwhile

Initial Impression

The 149 is BIG! It feels this way to me and I'm a 220lb mesomorph. The pen I borrowed was black and very shiny. Aesthetically, I felt the proportions of the pen had a "just right" quality - I suspect that they fit the golden ratio rule.

Nib, Feed and Writing Ability 4

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MB 18K M nib. Otoh, there isn't anything especially right with it either. The M nib I used reminded me a lot of the gold-plated steel M nib on a $60 Pelikan 200 that I sold - slightly soft in an unspringy way.

Smoothness is acceptable, but then I don't think I've tried an M nib pen where it wasn't - and I think it would be fairer to call this nib a B than an M. Overall, adequate but unexciting. Of course the 149 isn't the only expensive pen to have a nib that can be equalled or surpassed by a cheaper pen - a $20 Pelikano has a nib as smooth and wet as all but a tiny handful of pens.

Filler 4

My rating system for fillers is simple: an average filler should be a 3, which means that I give that score to a cartridge converter of average capacity and no leaks - because an adequate cc is today's average filler.

The MB filler definitely scores above average as it is a piston fill with two to three times the capacity of a typical cc. It scores a 4 rather than a 5 because it still doesn't have the extra something of the very best fillers - eg a Snorkel's ability to drink ink out of vials, a 51 aerometric's legendary immunity to evaporation (meaning that the same amount of ink will go significantly further), a Danitrio Raw's truly huge capacity, adjustable flow and safety cut-off, a Pelikan's ability to use the piston fill to flush the pen out quickly when the filler is used with the nib removed, etc.

Ergonomics 2

The 149 is too big and too heavy. It felt a drag in my hands and I attract nicknames like "the troll", "orc" and "neanderthal". It's a pen sized for bragging rather than writing. Pens this size should be made out of ebonite or something similarly light, or not made at all. I liked the shape of the section. (I would probably give the more sensibly sized 146 a 4 on Ergonomics.)

Appearence 4

I will say it again - the 149 is very nicely proportioned! It has enough detail to make it look interesting but not quite so much that it looks like something that only a rapper or a less tasteful member of minor Arab royalty would use.

It doesn't score a 5 because it doesn't have the exceptional aesthetic qualities of, say, an artist finished urushi or exquisite Koi celluloid, the innovative design of a Vanishing Point or Lamy 2000, or zero-tolerance engineering of a Snorkel or original Rotring 600. It's just a pen-shaped pen made out of black plastic, slightly shinier and better proportioned than most. (And much bigger!)

Reliability 2

The usual practice on FPN is to rate a pen solely on the writer's experience during the review. Given Montblanc's reputation in this area, I felt a little more effort was called and did some research on FPN and the Internet.

Quality Control and Problem Reports

When polled only 4% of FPN members use a Montblanc as their main pen, compared to around 20% for Pelikan, the brand selling the most similar products. (It's signature pens are also piston fillers, also German made, and definitely not cheap).

In the ten day period before finalizing this review I found the following reports of serious problems with a Montblanc:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=34344

- A fountain pen that *spontaneously* cracked.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=35128

- A jammed retractable Boheme fp (which provoked a "Me-too!" post)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=35113

- A 146 with a scratchy nib and poor ink flow

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=31643

- A $5000 (1990 price) solid golid body 149:

The pen had all sorts of problems with leaks. It kept going back to the MB shop in London, and they kept sending it back to the factory. The problems were always blamed on me. I was "pressing too hard." Using the "wrong ink." Etc. etc. I pointed out that I'd been using a similar MB pen --- just not a solid gold version --- for a dozen years without a problem.

I asked them to please replace the innards of the pen, pointing out that the innards were much less expensive than the gold exterior. They were reluctant to do so --- and I don't believe they ever did so.

This really ticked me off. You'd have thought, from a customer relations standpoint, that the answer would have been "Yes, sir. Gladly." I just didn't expect a pen of this price and quality to repeatedly leak --- and to then have the leaks blamed upon me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=34524

- A leaking fp that resumed leaking almost immediately after a paid for MB repair, plus corroded trim

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...c=34518&hl=

- Flow issues and VERY bad service:

When I first got a MB (a 146), it had flow issues. I called service and they said to post it as it improves the balance of their pens and, with improved balance, improved flow might occur since I'd control the nib better. However, as any MB 14x owner knows, posting leads to bad scratches. SO, I no longer post my "precious resin" MBs.

Note that none of these problems were dealt with satisfactorily by Montblanc. An additional servicing problem with Montblanc is that they apparently refuse to sell parts to independent repairers. So you're stuck with MB's service, how ever much they charge and however unsuccessful or unwilling they are.

By comparison, I found just two problem's reported for Pelikan during this period, both on low end pens - a loose cap, and chipping enamel. (The loose cap was referred to Pelikan for servicing and no more was heard, the pen with chipped enamel was stolen at an airport before anything more could be done.)

This leads me to conclude that it is likely that Montblanc DOES have a quality control problem. For the period I sampled the relative rate of serious failure would seem to be (6/2) * (20/4) * (some adjustment factor for outcome and the degree of the problem encountered). Based on this sample I would say it is fair to regard MB's as being 15-50 times more problem prone than Pelikans as a whole.

However, it should also be noted that the high end Pelikans that are the most direct alternatives to MB's - the M600 and M800 - didn't have ANY problem reports in this period, despite each being more used on FPN than all MB's *combined*. And that the other most popular FPN brands - Sailor and Pilot - have so few problem reports that they could be said to make Pelikans look almost unreliable!

Precious Resin - Shatter Prone?

Montblanc's "precious resin" actually seems to a plastic (possibly perspex) with glass fibres added to give additional shine.

Beside the reports easily found on FPN, other forums and on internet newsgroups that suggest that PR is unusually shatter prone, there is also perhaps the ultimate expert witness testimony - that of Frank Dubiel, THE authority on fountain pens and their restoration, and author of the standard text on the subject:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.colle...e7a216bf88a6f86

Small MB cracks are occasionally VERY difficult to spot. Probably 10% of all

MINT, boxed MB pens are cracked. It may take a 50x loop to see the cracks, but

they are there, and they grow easily after use. Many are simply cracked at the

factory and shiped anyway. Of course in some cases even the final packer at

the factory can't see the cracks. Its the special nature of the super brittle

plastic MB uses, that the cracks start out virtually invisible. And in the

case of the MB ballpoint--it is IMPOSSIBLE to use it and not crack it. The

stress of simply twisting the cap--to operate the pen MUST and WILL crack the

cap, within an average of 3 or less years daily use. No matter how gentle one

is the stress of twisting causes fatique failure in the plastic itself.

Overall ..2?

I *loved* the MB "shoe shaped" ink bottle, although I thought the fluid inside was so-so. I almost bought a bottle, but then found that would mean paying twice the price for the same ink with a Lamy label - where it also comes in an unusual and extra-usuable bottle.

Which summed up the whole MB experience for me, really. They sell pens that are a definite notch behind the competition but charge double the price, because their products have that white star on. People seem willing to pay just because they've seen other people pay - it's a sort of money producing perpetual motion machine.

If I had to sum up the 149 in a single sentence, then I'd probably say something like "It's a Massive (literally!) Monument to Marketing over Mastering Mediocrity". (I call this my Five M's Theory Of Montblanc.) I think that's fair: it's not really awful, just a pen that should be sold for less than half the price, with improved quality control and service.

I hesitated about the 149's Overall score several times. I very nearly gave it a 3, with the comment that it could be a 4 if quality control was improved. But reading over the problem reports I linked to above convinced me to bring the score back down to 2 at most - for a high priced pen to have variable quality and to have a "service" that seems often to consist of blaming users fro problems and refusing to fix them is unforgivable.

Value 1

Again, I would like to be explicit about how I arrived at this rating.

If a pen sells for the same price as most other pens with similar features, I give it a three. If it sells for considerably more or has a minor flaw, I deduct one point. If the price is considerably greater or the pen is badly flawed, I deduct two points.

So, what pens should one compare to the 149? I would say that a reasonable set of choices would be the Lamy 2000 (reasonably large, ultra stylish, gold nibbed, piston filler with impeccable pedigree), the Pelikan M800 (large-ish, gold nibbed, piston filler, from the German manufacturer who made the world's first piston fillers - arguably the most widely owned modern pen on FPN), the Pelikan M1000 (an oversized M800) and the Pilot 823

The 2000 costs $125-$150. It has a reputation as a brillian design and one of the sturdiest pens ever built. Recently produced pens have been alleged to contain some rough nibs and leaky sections, but the pen still has a better reputation for quality than the MB.

The 800 can be bought for $250 new. The biggest stain on its reputation as that it has an overwide XF nib. This is something that's true of the 149 too, but the user changeable nibs of the Pel's make this a simpler problem to deal with - one just orders a new nib from a nibmeister, or buys the pen from one in the first place.

The M1000 seems to sell for $350. Frankly, it's too big! I, like most people, would rather buy an M800.

The Pilot 823 Custom sells for $250 as a grey import to Western markets. It has a reputation for having the smoothest "out of the box" nib available and possibly the best filler - a novel hightech high capacity recreation of the classic vac fills, housed in a classic shaped translucent body, complete with a cut-off valve.

The Montblanc's retail price is tightly controlled by MB and in the US is fixed at about $600. You can beat this down to around $450 by going to a grey market dealer, but I wouldn't count on getting a shattered grey market pen rebuilt for $50. So - about twice the price of its obvious competitors - even FOUR times that of the 2000: hence starting with a 3 star value rating for average, I have to deduct two stars for being considerably over priced. I should arguably deduct another for the reports of poor quality, as I consider them too widespread and specific to be other than genuine, but what the hell!

When evaluating the MB's value rating don't forget that the Lamy 2000 and M800 are already luxury rather than tool pens - a Pelikan Go is a piston filler with an excellent nib and ergonomics and can be bought for only $25 as New Old Stock on ebay. (Ironically the wing-nib-and-piston-fill Go is much more similar to a 1950's Meisterstruck than a modern 149 is.) Good fountain pens aren't REALLY very expensive to produce.

Here are Frank Dubiel's comments:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.colle...9fd7932574c8628

The actual cost to make a 146 [a smaller but still substantial little brother of the 149] is about $20 tops. I know this for a fact. If it

wasn't for the nib, it would cost about $2-3 to make tops. I'm allowing 10

mins extra hand labor for the gold nib for grinding and polishing. (probably

more than they need to really do it.) ...I consider their

roller and BPs to be far worst than most pens sold for 50cents or less. Their

standard FPs write OK usually, but crack soooo easily and leak so often as to

be a scandle.

Afterthoughts

Here's a word: luxury.

It was once the property of only a view few people. Most of the world had to be happy with a "enough to eat" - outside the West, most of the world still is like this.

It's an easy concept to despise and to confuse with "softness", "spending too much" or "pretension", but that's not what it should mean. It should mean, instead, the creation and possession of things that might not quite be art (which is altogther higher, transformative, and disruptive) but which go far beyond the adequate to excite us and celebrate the sensuality in living. It means listening to your senses and refining them with knowledge and experience. Ideally (but rarely today) it means a collaboration between a skilled craftsman and your own taste to produce an object that is uniquely satisfying to you

$600 could buy an exquisite, truly hand made urushi coated Nakaya fountain pen with a body chosen from a vast range of designs and a nib that it has been crafted to your own personal taste. Or a hand painted Danitrio Makei pen, a Parker 51 renewed by the one world's most skilled restorers, with its nib meistered to your specifications. Or you could have bought a vintage flex nib Mabie Todd or Conklin Crescent Filler, Sheaffer Snorkel, a Pilot Murex, even a contemporary Pilot Vanishing Point Raden (a retractible nib fountain pen laquered with the urushi the Japanese have used since at least Medieval times and sprinkled with fragments of powered abalone, so that they twinkle like minature stars) - all gems of craftsmenship, all very personal objects.

When you buy a Big Black Plastic Tube you're giving up this chance for uniqueness and exploring yourself just to buy a symbol of Everyone Else Knows Best. Of "If Everyone Knows It Costs A Lot It Has To Be Good". You're taking the opportunity for a small piece of the extraordinary to exist in the modern world and trampling it. You're saying I Want A Big Mac And I Want To Pay Extra For It! Luxury is part of our space for being more human. Don't let big corporations build it over with Pay To Show Much Status You Have Acquired.

Other stuff I'd like to deal with, or which is useful to know:

1. MB did NOT invent the piston fill! A Hungarian guy named Theodore Kovacs did. Pelikan bough the rights off him and manufactured the first piston fillers. MB then ignored the patents and were successfully sued. To add to the confusion, MB later employed Kovacs...

2. it is sometimes claimed that other manufacturers are copying MB when they sell pens with rounded cap and posting ends and jewellery bands. But these were common themes of 1930's pen design - the "streamlined" look originated with the Sheaffer Balance, and the bands came much earlier. There are actually damn few ways a non-inlaid nib, single coloured pen can look - flat or round ended and with or without bands, are almost the only choices...

3. Possibly useful tips:

* If you negotiate hard with an MB boutique, you might be able to get a slight discount in the form of some extra goods with the MB logo on - typically cufflinks. You might was well get these and sell them ebay, even if you don't wear fancy shirts.

* Montblanc Blue-Black ink is waterproof but it's an old fashioned iron-gall ink. If you're going to use it, rinse out your pen every two weeks whether you are using it or not.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meanwhile

• Lloyd

• georges zaslavsky

• sleek_lover

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have to say, being a MB user, This review was excellent in every way possible. It gave all of the facts that many people would not know. I didnt know about Frank saying that (its probably true).

In regard to the "MB" Shape, the Cigar shape didnt come out until late 1950's, and as Jonathan stated, Sheaffer had it, as well as many other companies, before MB. Before the 14X series, the best pen was then 13X, with flat top and bottom. I still think it is superior to all modern Mb's.

After the 60's this is when the Quality went down the tube. If you want one of the best writing pens, get a vintage MB made in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. They will never let you down.

Once again, (this is coming from a modern Montblanc user) thank you so much for this information. It is probably one of the most informative posts about MB on the forum. This should be Pinned.

A review is entirely subjective, so there's really nothing I can add to change your pre-set opinion, but wanted to put in my 0.2 c to express my own subjective experience . I own a 149 from the 60s which is in my pocket every day. I use it not for any intangible factors, but for it's true XF, smooth writing nib, huge ink capacity and ergonomic design. It has never failed me in the old times when you have to sit down for the major part of the day and have to hand write a test. I also have two other MB 149s from late 70s and mid 80s, which have never given me any trouble except for one, which has a free "fly" of the piston before you can actually fill it up- a small quirk and not really a problem. I neither did any repair work on them nor had to take any extra care other than rinsing them every 3-4 weeks(very inconsistently!) with cold water.

I also own Pel M1000 and M800 and they are very good pens. However, 149 scores better in that it does not have a metal trim at the end of the nib section and it weighs less than a M1000 (29g vs 32.7 g- check John's site for details). The nibs of the 149 has a little stubby character( even as XF or F) which gives my handwriting an extra flair as compared to the precise round nibbed M 1000. Also I like thicker sections to avoid fatigue by gripping the pen too hard- the 149 is better for me than the 1000 in this regard. I don't want to compare the M800 with the 149 because they are very different pens.

May be I'll do my own comparative review for these two later, but all I can say now that IMHO the 149 overpriced or not is a very good pen suitable as a daily portable user.

I would have to say, being a MB user, This review was excellent in every way possible. It gave all of the facts that many people would not know. I didnt know about Frank saying that (its probably true).

In regard to the "MB" Shape, the Cigar shape didnt come out until late 1950's, and as Jonathan stated, Sheaffer had it, as well as many other companies, before MB.

Thanks for such a positive and thoughtful response, George!

I do think MB have the proportions and numbers of bands especially right, combined with the tapering they use. But even the combination of round ends, bands, tapering had been used by Wal-Eversharp. There's only so much you can do with a the shape of a pen that has to fit the human hand!

Before the 14X series, the best pen was then 13X, with flat top and bottom. I still think it is superior to all modern Mb's.

Were these the wing nib pens? I'm fascinated by this design - it's part of my general "hooded pen" obsession. Wing nibs bring all the advantages of hooding while living the nib out in the open to be looked at.

After the 60's this is when the Quality went down the tube. If you want one of the best writing pens, get a vintage MB made in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. They will never let you down.

Once again, (this is coming from a modern Montblanc user) thank you so much for this information. It is probably one of the most informative posts about MB on the forum. This should be Pinned.

I'm just glad you like it and didn't think it too long - I had to stop myself from a fairly length digression into my research on the evolution of the MB piston filling mechanism and why the switch to a plastic inner cylinder may well be a Good Thing. (Plastic sliding along brass doesn't need anymore lubrication than ink can give it.)

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

Oh, The 13X series was not a hooded nib. Imagine a 149, with the top and bottom cut flat... Let me find a pic

This picture was taken by David Isaacson (I hope you dont mind)

post-3311-1183481237_thumb.jpg

Oh, The 13X series was not a hooded nib. Imagine a 149, with the top and bottom cut flat... Let me find a pic

Superb picture. I think 50's MB's had some of the superb finishes of any pens - the striated celluloids especially.

A wing nib isn't hooded in appearence, but it gets some of the advantages of hooding via folding down the sides of the nib over the feed to seal it in, reducing evaporation. The Pelikan Go and MB Noblesse Oblige had this sort of nib - I think Pelikanos still do.

- Jonathan

A wing nib isn't hooded in appearence, but it gets some of the advantages of hooding via folding down the sides of the nib over the feed to seal it in, reducing evaporation.

Ahhhh. Sorry, I wasn't thinking then.

A review is entirely subjective, so there's really nothing I can add to change your pre-set opinion, but wanted to put in my 0.2 c to express my own subjective experience . I own a 149 from the 60s which is in my pocket every day. I use it not for any intangible factors, but for it's true XF, smooth writing nib, huge ink capacity and ergonomic design. It has never failed me in the old times when you have to sit down for the major part of the day and have to hand write a test. I also have two other MB 149s from late 70s and mid 80s, which have never given me any trouble except for one, which has a free "fly" of the piston before you can actually fill it up- a small quirk and not really a problem. I neither did any repair work on them nor had to take any extra care other than rinsing them every 3-4 weeks(very inconsistently!) with cold water.

Yes, some modern MB's will work perfectly. Probably around 90%. This doesn't excuse a 10% failure rate and what seems to be a very poor to losers of the Montblanc lottery - i.e. those people who have spent a rather large sum of money on an ink dispensing tube that won't dispense ink correctly!

The nibs of the 149 has a little stubby character( even as XF or F) which gives my handwriting an extra flair as compared to the precise round nibbed M 1000. Also I like thicker sections to avoid fatigue by gripping the pen too hard- the 149 is better for me than the 1000 in this regard. I don't want to compare the M800 with the 149 because they are very different pens.

You might want to look at a Densho Raw: giant proportions, super-giant ink capacity, Parker 51 weight, because it's made out of ebonite. It has a nicer section design than the 149 too, imo.

May be I'll do my own comparative review for these two later, but all I can say now that IMHO the 149 overpriced or not is a very good pen suitable as a daily portable user.

As I said, without the quality and servicing problems, I'd have rated the 149 a 3. Without having used the Densho, which sets a very high benchmark for a big pen, I might increased this rating to a 4. And 149 nib quality seems very variable, so if the pen I looked at was average-ish and I had got one of the best specimens instead, this might have been enough to jump the pen to a 4, if those other problems were settled.

But I do think quality and service are important, especially in a pen sold for more than £100. The 149 sells for three times that cost in the UK, and I feel, based on the evidence, MB are not giving users what they have a right to expect.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

A wing nib isn't hooded in appearence, but it gets some of the advantages of hooding via folding down the sides of the nib over the feed to seal it in, reducing evaporation.

Ahhhh. Sorry, I wasn't thinking then.

I made the same mistake when I first heard a wing nib described - which was really embarrassing, because I already had one! It looks conventional enough so that you don't notice.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

While your review is subjective, I must applaud your effort at researching others' experiences.

Since you quoted my comments regarding my 146 and posting, I should say that MB service was actually stellar after this. They tried to fix the 146 twice (each time returning it with a complimentary gift: 2 pen leather case, decorative tin, free ink). When these attempts failed, they replaced it (at my request but at no additonal charge) with a 149 that is still the best writing pen I've experienced; it's better than my P51, the Denshos I've tried, my Pilot 743 that I love, a Pel M605 (I hate the balance of the 800's), my VP, the Sailor 1911, and all the pens I've tried at the Boston pen show including Richard B.'s beloved 'P51'. Not that any of these pens aren't great but TO ME, my 149 is perfection in terms of writing (not in terms of durability, ease of repair or replaceability).

Also, isn't it just the Lamy BB ink that is the same as MB BB? I think all the other MB ink is unique to them (for better or for worse).

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Yes, some modern MB's will work perfectly. Probably around 90%. This doesn't excuse a 10% failure rate and what seems to be a very poor to losers of the Montblanc lottery - i.e. those people who have spent a rather large sum of money on an ink dispensing tube that won't dispense ink correctly!

The nibs of the 149 has a little stubby character( even as XF or F) which gives my handwriting an extra flair as compared to the precise round nibbed M 1000. Also I like thicker sections to avoid fatigue by gripping the pen too hard- the 149 is better for me than the 1000 in this regard. I don't want to compare the M800 with the 149 because they are very different pens.

You might want to look at a Densho Raw: giant proportions, super-giant ink capacity, Parker 51 weight, because it's made out of ebonite. It has a nicer section design than the 149 too, imo.

As I said, without the quality and servicing problems, I'd have rated the 149 a 3. Without having used the Densho, which sets a very high benchmark for a big pen, I might increased this rating to a 4. And 149 nib quality seems very variable, so if the pen I looked at was average-ish and I had got one of the best specimens instead, this might have been enough to jump the pen to a 4, if those other problems were settled.

But I do think quality and service are important, especially in a pen sold for more than £100. The 149 sells for three times that cost in the UK, and I feel, based on the evidence, MB are not giving users what they have a right to expect.

I do have a Densho and a Takumi(c/c) they are good with their EF springy nib, but I like the 149s better.

Also as I mentioned earlier, my 149s have been performing flawlessly w/o any problem for over 3 decades, so I don't have any personal experience w/ their service. I expect them to be good given my +ve experience w/ the b/M stores that I use to buy pens.

Also as I said before, pricing is a relative, subjective thing and IMHO even Bexleys are overpriced(Prometheus retails for USD500+) if I am comparing them with Sailor and Namiki/Pilot pens.

Thank you for writing a review which will no doubt serve as a lightning rod for comments based upon our subjective reactions to the pens. What follow are some of mine.

Size of a pen, and what makes it "too big" are entirely subjective. You would prefer not to go above an 800 size. I'm looking for a pen (Danitrio Mikado?) the next size up from a 149. It's neither the largest nor the heaviest of the pens I use. I would never brag or show off a 149, I just use it constantly. We simply disagree on our preferences.

As far as innovative design, I guess you could argue that at its introduction it was, and remained innovative. The 149 shape was a departure from previous MBs, with an obvious nod to the pre-existing torpedo shaped pens. For the longest time, however, it was THE oversize pen. One might credit/blame it for being the beginning of the modern OS craze in pens.

Can't argue with the many reports of MB quality and service problems. Anecdotally, the 'precious resin' complaints seemed to focus on the 144, not the 149. Don't recall seeing many reports specific to the 149. Factory service seems to be a (bleep) shoot. My two experiences were superb, including replacing a barrel on a 144 roller ball that was stepped on and shattered by my daughter's college room mate for $20, and it came back with a polishing cloth besides.

The wing nib pens included the 25x series, the 22, 24, and the x42 and x44. Although the 25x series was reported to be prone to cap lip cracks none of them I own have cracked, and they'll all users.

Finally, there's this:

...you're giving up this chance for uniqueness and exploring yourself just to buy a symbol of Everyone Else Knows Best. Of "If Everyone Knows It Costs A Lot It Has To Be Good". You're taking the opportunity for a small piece of the extraordinary to exist in the modern world and trampling it. You're saying I Want A Big Mac And I Want To Pay Extra For It! Luxury is part of our space for being more human. Don't let big corporations build it over with Pay To Show Much Status You Have Acquired."

I think I get it - you view 149 owners as tasteless status seekers who trample the extraordinary in our haste to follow, lemming-like, our relentless pursuit of flash. So be it.

The 149 I use is a tool, and a first rate one at that. Over-priced at MSRP, purchased used it has written without fail whenever called upon. It's never been crass enough to shout "Look at me", and I've never caught anyone gazing at it lustfully or contemptously. It lays down a line of ink on everything from credit card slips to Amalfi. It's the pen equivalent of a navy blue suit: you can take it anywhere and it's always in style.

MB the manufacturer may be the master of the sizzle, but the 149 is prime rib.

gary

I have a hard time seeing how the problem reports are fair, when speaking about the MB 149. Here's why:

The first is an MB Generation, not the same pen.

The second is a retractable nib FP, even more not the same pen.

The third is a 146, not the same pen.

The fourth is a gold 149, with a report of a "Meisterstuck" of unknown model which cracked after work in Somoa in 1978. So, not the same pen x2.

Then there is a complaint about leaking in an extremely corroded pen (should be expected?) followed by another 146 complaint about ink flow. Neither of these can necessarily be attributed to the pens themselves -- might be the ink, for example.

I don't really see any of those as valid criticisms of modern 149s. The reasons 146 complaints are not entirely good substitutes are 1) the 149 is the flagship model, not the 146, and 2) the 146 is smaller and thus will have higher stresses in the pen material, presumably causing more cracking etc. Likewise for the ballpoint cracking.

From an engineering standpoint, if you have a shape made from a delicate material -- MB's resin is delicate; I think no one claims otherwise -- the best way to protect that shape from fatigue, etc, is to make it larger. Many of such effects are proportional to the third power of diameter: doubling the diameter reduces some internal stresses by a factor of 8. It follows that bigger pens are more resistant to cracking. Another reason for larger shapes to fare better is a thing called a "stress riser," whereby corners and radii cut into the shape will have a more severe stress concentrating effect on the smaller part. So it is entirely possible that a 149 will not see problems that plague the smaller 146.

I think the delicacy of the MB resin certainly is a valid criticism, but a little more rigor is called for. Let's not convict the 149 based on the problems of its lesser relatives.

Scott

Edited by beezaur

I hope your post deters many future buyers. This should make the pens cheaper so I can buy more of them :)

One thing I remember reading here before buying my 149 is that, while MB quality has suffered, the 149, being the flagship model, does not suffer from quality problems to the same extent. Most threads here on FPN would seem to confirm that.

Another impression I have is that the durability of the resin has improved since the 1970s and 1980s.

Scott

Edited by beezaur

The Pilot 823 Custom sells for $250 as a grey import to Western markets. It has a reputation for having the smoothest "out of the box" nib available and possibly the best filler - a novel hightech high capacity recreation of the classic vac fills, housed in a classic shaped translucent body, complete with a cut-off valve.

Actually, you can get these from Richie at cyberpens in the UK for $200, shipped to the USA.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Stunning!!! I really like the look.

JD

While your review is subjective, I must applaud your effort at researching others' experiences.

Since you quoted my comments regarding my 146 and posting, I should say that MB service was actually stellar after this.

That *is* good to know.

They tried to fix the 146 twice (each time returning it with a complimentary gift: 2 pen leather case, decorative tin, free ink). When these attempts failed, they replaced it (at my request but at no additonal charge) with a 149 that is still the best writing pen I've experienced; it's better than my P51, the Denshos I've tried, my Pilot 743 that I love, a Pel M605 (I hate the balance of the 800's), my VP, the Sailor 1911, and all the pens I've tried at the Boston pen show including Richard B.'s beloved 'P51'. Not that any of these pens aren't great but TO ME, my 149 is perfection in terms of writing (not in terms of durability, ease of repair or replaceability).

This again sounds like enormous variation of quality in the pens that they're producing. If they could hit the level you describe all the time, offer good consistently good service and eitehr i. not make "shrapnel pens" or not not charge for replacing them, then they'd have a product that could justify being sold for something approaching the prices they're charging.

Also, isn't it just the Lamy BB ink that is the same as MB BB? I think all the other MB ink is unique to them (for better or for worse).

Could be a good question to ask in the Ink Forums. My understanding is that several Lamy inks are sold as MB's, but that not all of MB's inks are Lamys In Disguise. If BB is the only they're using, they're mad. They should replace it with a modern cellulose binding ink. (In my barely semi-hemi-qualified opinion!)

- Jonathan

Thank you for writing a review which will no doubt serve as a lightning rod for comments based upon our subjective reactions to the pens. What follow are some of mine.

Size of a pen, and what makes it "too big" are entirely subjective. You would prefer not to go above an 800 size.

Not necessarily. Weight and balance are important too. As I said in my follow on posts, my raw ebonite Densho set a standard that's hard to follow.

Can't argue with the many reports of MB quality and service problems. Anecdotally, the 'precious resin' complaints seemed to focus on the 144, not the 149. Don't recall seeing many reports specific to the 149. Factory service seems to be a (bleep) shoot. My two experiences were superb, including replacing a barrel on a 144 roller ball that was stepped on and shattered by my daughter's college room mate for $20, and it came back with a polishing cloth besides.

The 144 managed to get an ESPECIALLY bad reputation. But according to my research, the 146 and 149 and Generation, etc, have had more than their share of problems. For instance, this is the best article on the 149 I can find anywhere on the Net. The author's 149 cracked while it was in storage his pen case!

The wing nib pens included the 25x series, the 22, 24, and the x42 and x44. Although the 25x series was reported to be prone to cap lip cracks none of them I own have cracked, and they'll all users.

The problems with excessive cracking seem to start in about 1980, at least for the 146 and 149, with the shift to the modern "precious resin" formula. I think the pens you refer to were all celluloids or other "non-precious" resins. Of course, lip cracks have always been a problem when people post pens made out of celluloid and similar materials! I've noticed that Monte Rosa's (an old MB sub-brand) used to have metal bands at the very lip of the cap to prevent this - a nice touch.

Finally, there's this:

...you're giving up this chance for uniqueness and exploring yourself just to buy a symbol of Everyone Else Knows Best. Of "If Everyone Knows It Costs A Lot It Has To Be Good". You're taking the opportunity for a small piece of the extraordinary to exist in the modern world and trampling it. You're saying I Want A Big Mac And I Want To Pay Extra For It! Luxury is part of our space for being more human. Don't let big corporations build it over with Pay To Show Much Status You Have Acquired."

I think I get it - you view 149 owners as tasteless status seekers who trample the extraordinary in our haste to follow, lemming-like, our relentless pursuit of flash. So be it.

On average, yes. That's how MB market the pens, and that's what the people who sell them think too. There will certainly be exceptions and I'm quite happy to believe that you are one of them (actually, I'm thinking of making Lloyd an offer for his 146 myself..) But no, I don't believe that every Gordon Gecko wannabe flourishing a 149 looked at a Nakaya and a restored Mabie Todd BCHR first and decided that the 149 wrote better. With most of them it was marketing, one-upmanship, and the aforementioned "If Everyone Knows It Costs A Lot It Has To Be Good".

The 149 I use is a tool, and a first rate one at that. Over-priced at MSRP, purchased used it has written without fail whenever called upon.

I can say the same for my Pelikan Go, but it was $25, not $600. I'm quite sure that it will survive traumas that would convert a 149 to shrapnel..

It's the pen equivalent of a navy blue suit: you can take it anywhere and it's always in style.

There are times when you have to wear a suit, but I don't think anyone has ever been refused admittance or thrown out of a - well, anything - for using a Go. Or even a Bic.

I am willing to believe it might happen with a Rotring Core though..

- Jonathan

Stunning!!! I really like the look.

JD

Then hopefully should enjoy looking at this old school Montblanc 146!

http://www.fountainpen.de/pics/fremd/tomj/146-green-striated/146-closed.jpg

Now this - with decent service and reliability, and the nibs that MB are said to have produced in the 50's - would have been a $600 pen that I'd happily have given a 5/5 to.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan