Stipula Florentia Amber FP

handlebar

I have finally received my new Stipula Florentia Amber.It has been a busy week but i finally have time to sit down at the computer and write a review of this

pen.I have wanted one since buying and using my Etruria.That model writes so well that i wondered if the Florentia would do the same.AND if it would have the same characteristics.Well here are my impressions of this pen!

I like silver much more than gold when it comes to my pen's accents.So i opted for the silver banded Florentia.I don't see many of these for sale and after

mulling it over for a month or two,i decided to buy it.

Weight/size--4 out of 5:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S171-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S91-small.jpg

Having been used to the Etruria,i expected a pen that was similar in weight.Not even close.The Etruria is most certainly heavier.But the lightness of this pen is part of it's charm.I have quite a few larger pens but this feels good for a lightweight.The pen measures 5-1/2" closed and 6-1/4" posted.I don't post this pen though as it doesn't seem to be well adjusted to that.The cap does not fit snug when posted and i can just see the cap flying off to the hard ground below!So off it stays.But unposted it writes fine and feels good.I would say it is very similar to my Conklin Glider only a wee bit shorter.

Ink/filling system--3.5 out of 5:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S110-small.jpg

I was not sure which type of filling system would be avaiable with this model.I had hoped for a piston filler but was disappointed by cartridge/converter only.The typical version.The converter is marked "Stipula" and does it duty.Hence the 3.5 score.Thats one thing i find delightful with the Etruria:the piston filler is large and holds a LOT of ink!

Nib performance--4 out of 5:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S111-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S151-small.jpg

The Etruria i have writes like a dream.One of the best if not THE best writer i have.So my expectations were high.A wee bit disappointed but considering the price and size of the pen,i could not expect the same nib.Smaller than the Etruria nib,this fine point two-tone does it job.The first few days were a challenge as i had to work on some skipping and flow issues.That resolved,the nib writes fine.Not as smooth as the Etruria,but good.I'm considering whether to have it made into an italic.One thing that did scare me at first opening was the nib falling out as i opened it up.Yikes!! I watched that gold nib fall to my desktop and spin around a second.Seems that it slides in rather easily and was not secured.So i fixed that as well with no damage to the nib.

I have noticed that of the three inks used in this Florentia,that the Noodlers Kiowa Pecan flows best.The Private Reserve Copper Burst didn't do as well.

Here is a photo of a few Baudelaire lines with Kiowa Pecan:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S231-small.jpg

Appearance/design-4.5 out of 5:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S27-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S151-small.jpg

I have always liked this design:straight barrel with ornaments in the middle.Nothing too fancy but enough to make it elegant yet very functional.

The silver compliments the nib and the clip is no-nonsense but stands out.Very nice!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S131-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S141-small.jpg

Price/value--5 out of 5:

I paid less than $200 for this pen and considering what prices celluloid can command,thought i did well.I would most certainly buy another one of these,perhaps in an oblique or italic.Good value.

As many here on FPN know,i want an Omas Arco brown very badly.The price is still too far out there.But i figured that this pen might give a similar look and feel at a much less expensive price.I was correct.I have used the Omas before and found it beautiful and a delightful writer.But this Florentia feels the same in my hand,writes very well,and exhibits it's own beautiful celluloid.Very impressive.

Yes,i still want the Arco but at least am not as impatient as i was before owning this splendid writer!

My concluding score for this pen is a 4.25 out of 5.The only sticking point would be the filling system.Other than that,a very good buy.

Now my Etruria has a friend to chat with while lying in that pen case :thumbup:

If you have a Florentia,let me know what your conclusions were.This is one pen i could see myself buying again.

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• J-F-O

• omasfan

• Freeloader

Nice review.

I've also ordered one and it's now in the hands of Richard B. for some nib work. I think these pens were available in a standard size and and OS. Although striking the Omas Arco looks nice only from certain angles because of the laminated celluloid type. Looking at it from the sides , it's really dissapointing. The pictures always show the ARCO from it's better side.

The Stipula celluloid is , I think , a better choice. I own both.

Thanks

J.F.

Edited by J-F-O

Always good to see one of your reviews, Jim! Looks like you got a keeper.

Of course, the arco is, as JF states, mostly photographed from its "prettier" side. However, I still think it is one of the most striking pens out there.

A really wonderful pen. I don't have a Stipula yet, but if I buy one, it'll probably be the Etruria, though. I think the Etruria's barrel shape is more interesting to me. It's also weird that the nib fell out :roller1: Maybe that is Stipula's adaptation of the "Vanishing point." The nib vanishes into the carpet and then you can "write" with the feed, a broad Italic (hey, and no regrinding fee!) :roller1:

Well, this pen will only temporarily slake your appetite for an OMAS Arco. Resistance is futile. And you will perforce relapse into Arcoritis Omasensis before long.

Well, this pen will only temporarily slake your appetite for an OMAS Arco. Resistance is futile. And you will perforce relapse into Arcoritis Omasensis before long.

I have had this disease(Arcoritis Omasensis) for quite some time now and have not found an inexpensive cure or remedy :roller1:

But eventually.....

JD

I've been waiting for this review...a beautiful pen and a good review. Well done. I need one of these.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

J.D., truly a beautiful pen and well-done review. Really love the metal-work on the clip and band. Use it in the best of health!

Best regards,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I have been looking forward to your review of this pen, and you did not disappoint me. Your reviews are always good. Thanks.

As I indicated on the thread in "Writing Instruments," I have an oversized Florentia. Mine is exactly the same length as an Etruria, and just a bit narrower. The nib seems to be exactly the same size as the Etruria, and mine is a piston filler. Since it is the only Florentia I own, I keep referring to it for my impressions of the pen. It is always good to hear another opinion and to hear about a different version of the pen.

I am glad you like the pen. I hope it gives you many years of good service.

Gorgeous! I love the combination of the pen colour with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan.

Congrats Jim! :thumbup:

Thank you for the review too!

Mark.

Edited by Hardtack

I like the review. I've been eying the Florentia for a while. How does it compare to the Etruria in terms of size and weight? Are the nibs interchangeable?

Hi Jim,

Great review, thanks!

With regard to the skip and flow problems: this is why I always recommend the feed priming thing, especially with a Stip, as they seem more sensitive to this. Maybe it is because of the nylon feeds.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Great review, great pictures and a very nice pen. I very much like cylindrical-style pens, and Stipula seem to be able to design these very successfully, along with the more torpedo-style Etrurias. I think the celluloid on this pen is very attractive. However, it does seems a pity you had to do so much work on the pen to get it perfect. Unfortunately, these from-the-factory niggles do seem to be a problem with some Italian pen marques, though I've never found it with Stipula.