Conklin Mark Twain Signature Levenger Limited Edition: Black (F)

rroossinck

First Impressions

It’s a big pen. Nicely sized. Comes in a great big box.

Appearance

This one is an absolute stunner. Black w/sterling silver trim. Looks exquisite, and that big nib is c’est magnifique! This one would look very much at home at a black tie affair.

Design

It’s well-designed. Bonus points for the most comfortable section I think I’ve ever written with. Weight is very nicely balanced as well. This one wouldn't tire you out if you wrote with it for a couple of hours straight.

Nib

It’s big, two-toned 14k, and has a nice bit of spring to it! Looks terrific, and writes very nicely, too! When I got it, it was a medium nib and there were problems with the feed. I sent it back to Conklin and they promptly replaced the nib with a Fine, and a new feed. Upon getting it back and flushing it with a dishsoap/water mix, it worked great.

Filling System

Converter - nothing special here.

Cost and Value

For what I paid for it when purchasing it new...it’s been the best pen value I’ve ever had. I kick myself once a day for selling it.

Conclusion

If you ever have the chance to get this pen (specifically, a Levenger LE), get it. The 14k nib is stellar, and the pen is just beautiful.

For pictures, see the thread here.

Edited by rroossinck

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• JRodriguez

• handlebar

• CAA

Thanks for the review.I have one Conklin and like it very much.

JD

Excellent review. What's the difference between the Levenger LE and the regular Mark Twain Signature? The 14K nib? The size of the pen?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.--Groucho Marx

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.--President Obama's Chief of Staff

That is a great looking pen. I am going to have to try and find one. Thanks for the review.

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 4 weeks later...

Just so happens that I am seriously looking at this pen for my next purchase. Would you say it's a large pen, something along the lines of a Pelikan Souveran 800? I have big hands and regular sized barrels just don't work for me. Very well written review by the way. Thanks.

I had one of these and thought the 14k nib really made this pen. I would have kept it if it weren't for the crescent filling version I already have. The other really cool feature on this pen is the clip, which is spring-loaded and very user friendly. If I could change anything about the crescent filler version it would certainly be that. Great review!

jkondave - I don't know if it's as big (diameter-wise) as an M800, but I've got big paws too, and this one fit me really well.

Strangely enough, though, my wife (who has small hands) found this one quite comfortable too.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

It's more in the m600 range, though slightly thicker. And I have to concur that this pen felt very good in the hand for me too.