Parker 51 review

Shelley

So I bought a much loved 1950's Parker 51 for NZD 62.00. I am unsure of the exact vintage. The condition of the pen would charitably described as much loved I think. There are no cracks or dings or anything like that, but the cap and clip are slightly brassed, further the clip is slightly pulled away from the body of the cap such that it will not hold onto a shirt pocket, it will hold onto a jacket pocket but shirts are beyond it. The body of the pen is somewhat scuffed, again no gauges but you can see the 50 plus years that are resting on the pen.

However all of this is dressing, what is important is the gold nib in this little beauty, there are no marking that I can discern but it looks like a fine on paper. But it is the feel that I am talking about here and those of you who are converts will feel a little pull at the corners of your mouth right now, the smile of knowledge as you will remember the last time you used yours and how it flowed over paper, this pen was made to write, nothing more and nothing less and thats what it does, and it does it superbly. I pick up the pen, post it (it really is too small not to be posted in my opinion-but I like big pens and this is probably the smallest I would go) and place that beautiful golded hooded nib on paper and no pressure needed, the pen glides across the page leaving a fine line of ink that is notable but not wet. This pen does its job, perhaps no greater accoldade is needed.

However I did spend some time on it, first I floushed the pen with cold water about a dozen times, then I left it soaking for 12 hours inwater, then flushed it several more times, then I filled it with parker Quink, let it sit for a while and then repeated the whole procedure. Finally I bought some Sheaffer Scrip Red ink at the the suggestion of Richard Binder, and it took several minutes of dry stroked before the ink flowed, but flow it does, just enough to leave a clear distinct red line but with no feathering, nor worries about wetness, and the pen does this time and time agin, I put it down at the finish of work, and next morning it starts again, no skipping no, no hesitations, no worries.

This not a new pen, nor is it a reconditioned pen, this model was not expensive, it is probably one of the most common of the P51's ever produced, I imagine there would be hundreds of thousands exactly the same, it is not jewel model, it is not one of the excuisite flighters, it is not made of precious metal, or have a hammered body, it is a bog standard P51, and it is over 50 years old. So saying it writes wonderfully, it did not cost me and arm and a leg, and it takes red ink well, I always thought hooded nibs, and the dated P51, slightly ugly, especially a standard one like this, it still, in my opinion will not win any beauty pagents, but its functionality makes up for a lot.

I like it and my reccomendation to those of you hovering, is to go and get one, it is part of FP history, it is a classic and a vintage and it is a damn good, no nonsense pen. Enough said. Photos hopefully below...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shelley

• greencobra

• Daosus

• tonybelding

I love reviews where people tell it like it is :D

Thanks for taking the time to write down your impressions and snap some photos of your "new" Parker 51. I am sure the colour of the barrel is even better in person....and if you can find a spare gold-filled cap for it, I'll bet it would look smashing ;)

I'm not a hooded-nib fan, but my little 51 Demi is a reliable writer that lays down a smooth line, and that's all you can really expect a pen to do....and it does it very well. :)

I have often been amazed at how unfussy a $100 (or less) Aerometric Parker 51 can be. They just write great. Period. Enjoy writing with yours!

The later Aerometrics had what Parker called "electropolished" nibs. It may have been marketing hype, but I have found my later Aerometrics to be incredibly smooth writers at almost any angle, with extremely smooth and even flow.

I don't know how to do it myself, but I'm told it's relatively easy to get the clips off of these pens so that you can straighten them. There's probably something about this on the repairs forum.

Thank You. Nice review.

Sometimes forget that a review of a "common" pen is fun and useful for both reviewer and readers.

Hope to see more similar reviews.

So I bought a much loved 1950's Parker 51 for NZD 62.00.

Shelley,

Thanks for a nice review. Nice price for that pen around 25 GBPs, which is about what I would expect to pay for one here in UK. It is just amazing that the "51" still creates such a surprise, but it comes from an era when people expected to take a FP out and just write with it, no fuss, no mess and definitely no drama :thumbup:

I don't know how to do it myself, but I'm told it's relatively easy to get the clips off of these pens so that you can straighten them. There's probably something about this on the repairs forum.

Mike,

The clips are quite easy to fix, the jewel unscrews, use a soft gum eraser to get a grip on it, or my favourite weapon is a piece of Blu-Tac. If the jewel is stuck, then a little heat helps, a dip in V hot water usually does the trick. Under the jewel is a brass screw, undo that and the clip will come away. You can then ever so gently reshape the clip. When you reassemble you may need a drop of shellac to hold the jewel tight, but often that is not necessary.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Thank you Jim, I had been wondering how to get that sucker off, and after reading you post I grabbed my rubber off the desk, and like magic, it loosed off and unscrewed very easily, now I need to do the unscrewing and bending but I am sure that will be a piece of cake, now where is my leatherman...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I always thought hooded nibs, and the dated P51, slightly ugly, especially a standard one like this, it still, in my opinion will not win any beauty pagents, but its functionality makes up for a lot.

Heh, heh, heh. Yeah, I initially thought that 51s were "funny looking". Googies architecture, Robbie the Robot mis-prognostication of future tech. Of course, I was wrong (for only the second time ever!!! :P). The P51 isn't a misfire poser wannabee, it's the real McCoy. I still think it's a bit funny looking, but in a totally functional manner, like a B-2 Stealth Bomber. And then, in its Flighter form, the ugly duckling sheds its drab feathers and becomes the beautiful swan. Enjoy your 51, and maybe write back again in six months or so, and let us know what you think of its looks. Not that you'll change your opinion, and it's quite okay if you don't, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might cozy up more to it like I did. ;)

Edited by Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

• 1 year later...
It is just amazing that the "51" still creates such a surprise, but it comes from an era when people expected to take a FP out and just write with it, no fuss, no mess and definitely no drama :thumbup:

This is the very reason why I love the P51 and other vintage pens from this era. They simply write. Write reliably.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

My pen pal, who I've been discussing FPs with for a while, sent me a gray Parker "51" Special that arrived last week. The Special was the cost-reduced version with a simplified aerometric filler and steel (octanium alloy!) nib. I'm not sure why he sent it, as I can just vaguely remember him mentioning before that he was unhappy with it for some reason.

It looks to me like it never was used much. There's very little wear, and even the sac was mostly clear -- not stained black as they so often are. The nib tines were just slightly out of alignment, easily fixed. However, when I filled it with water I saw flakes of black debris, like paint flakes, swirling around inside the sac. I had to take the filler apart and remove the sac to get the stuff out. I suspect somebody bought this pen new, or maybe was given it, and filled it with calligraphy ink. When that didn't work, they stored it away.

It's writing very nicely now. I could imagine this pen being a daily user with a lot of life left in it.

My pen pal and I are both huge Sheaffer fans, though. He's very devoted to his Snorkel Sentinel, while I have recently been discovering the joys of the whole Imperial family. Although the 51 gets a lot of deserved praise, it had some worthy competitors too.

While I don't find hooded nibs ugly like the OP, I don't really think the P51 wins any beauty contests either. But, it writes when I pull the cap off, no matter how long it's been sitting there, it is comfortable in the hand, and has good line quality. There are pens I like more, but I always have a P51 inked for these reasons. It's a wonderful pen.

Missed this review the first time around but it would have nudged me over the edge sooner at the time I bought my first 51. Excellent review and how I feel about the pens. Mine, I have 3, are nothing fancy either but I did try to find ones that were as close to NIB as I could find. That was hard cause people USED these guys. My thanks to whoever dregged this out and put the review on top again.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

The Parker 51 was the first fountain pen I had that I thought was a good pen. No leaks, smooth writing. I came to love its styling, from a streamlined era. More opulent pens, and I own several, seem overstyled. To each his own . . .

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

We have our Mont Blancs for winning beauty pageants...then we have our Parker "51"s to write with ;)

I'm not your 'friend', bud