Omas Roma 2000 FP

handlebar

Ok,Ok.So i'm hooked on Omas pens.I might not be able to affored every pen that comes along but when i see a limited edition Omas come up for sale,i consider it very carefully.Is it a good value AND something i will write with.In my opinion,all of the Omas pens i own are an outstanding value.For what i paid.Sometimes the retail prices are just way too inflated.But,prices aside,i love their older pens.The newer styles don't "call" out to me,celluloid models being the exceptions.

I received this pen in the post today.Here are my impressions:

Here it is before the box was opened.I like the Omas design here.Very classy.Perfect companion to my vintage 1930's wardrobe!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR91-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR81-small.jpg

This time the pen came with a small leatherette pen holder.Not much use to me but a nice addition anyway.

Here is the Omas Roma 2000! The blue colour was stunning!! Guess that is one of the things that attracted me to it.I have a variety of celluloid and resin pens,but none this vibrant.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR71-small.jpg

Now for the specifics:

Weight/size: 5 out of 5--- The Roma is a lightweight pen,similar to the Paragon.Maybe just a wee bit lighter.Fits my hand beautifully!! Just the right length and feel.The length capped is 5-1/2" and posted is a long 7".Still,very much like the Paragon.Here is a photo of the Roma next to some other Italians,with the Paragon on the far left and Milord on it's right.The Signum Nova and Stipula Etruria follow ending with the Visconti Van Gogh Midis.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR131-SMALL.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR141-SMALL.jpg

Ink filling system--4 out of 5-The piston filler is quite large.Only my Etruria and Paragon are equal to the task.I like the gold ring at the end near the piston knob.But as with some models,the filling knob is a bit tight.

Appearance--5 out of 5---This is a beautiful pen! In person so much more impressive.The clip is a tri-columned style meant to signify the three centuries of Rome and her history.The centre band a representation of the Coliseum in Rome.The detail is very impressive.With this model there are no Greek key bands near the nib.Of course not!! This is to commemorate Rome,not Greece! That would have been too much anyway,i agree.This pen is also 20-faceted,not the usual 12.It was the first 20 faceted pen Omas has produced.The 20 facets represent 20 centuries.

Omas was picked specially for the Rome commemoration in 2000.There were three FP's made,one of gold,silver and this deep blue resin.They were a limited run due to the collection's January 2000 due date.I was able to retrieve some of this information from the Pensinasia's web site.Thanks to them for this background info.They also have better photographs than mine :thumbup:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR41-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR51-SMALL.jpg

Nib performance/quality--5 out of 5--Other than the colour,this is what impressed me most about the Roma.A small engraved image of the Wolf Goddess Lupa suckling Romulus and Remus,the founders of Rome,adorns the nib.Visually appealing.This pen came with a fine point,my favourite other than an italic.

As usual,the omas nib writes splendidly and with no problems.And no leaks at the nib either,a problem with some models.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR31-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR15-small.jpg

Cost/Value-4 out of 5--I rate this on what it's original retail was in 1999/2000,which was around $500.I paid less but am happy with the pen.

The pen writes well.I decided to fill it up with a colour befitting the Romans and this pen:Private Reserve's DC Supershow Blue.It is a delightful ink and compliments this pen well.Below is a sample of the Roman poet Ovid and some Latin verse.Might as well keep the Roman theme!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR161-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OR191-small.jpg

At first i was going to have to re-sell this pen due to some sudden monetary issues that cropped up.But i have resolved them and plan on keeping this gem.

Hope you liked the review.

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• John Cullen

• alvarez57

• sarahfar

Update:Yuk!! I have just found a crack on the lower barrel of the pen.Weeping ink.Didn't notice at first because the pen had never been filled.But now the crack is showing up very well.So frustrating!!! :angry: :angry:

Going to have to send this back now.

JD

Very disappointing, JD :(

Well, at least you wrote the review for us, and experienced having the pen, so it's not too bad ;)

Update:The seller will not take the pen back and so i will have to ship it to Omas.Seems i have no choice here.So into the box it goes and back to Omas.

Hope this doesn't take 6-8 weeks!!!

JD

HI Sorry about the pen. I have one of these and really like it. IN fact, I may buy another down the road, as there are a lot of them right now on ebay. If you do not mind, I would like to know the name of the seller who would not take the pen back. If you would prefer not to mention the name here on the board, would you email me. If that is their policy, then fine. But I would prefer to work with someone more cooperative if I can. j

It's a great looking pen. I hope that Omas will service it quickly for you. Too bad about the seller and wonder whether or not they knew about the damage before they listed it.

He says no but since it has only been one day since i received it,makes me wonder.And most good dealers would have had me ship it back to them.If this were a cosmetic blemish,then i could have dealt ith that.But when ink comes through the crack,it is major.

I shipped it to Omas today and hope to hear next week how things look.

I will follow up with what happens.Maybe since Kenro has taken over,things will be better.

JD

What a lovely pen---I love the nib engraving and the cap ring---clever touches!

I am so sorry that you got the pen and were enjoying it...only to have to send it out to have a part replaced. :( I hope you get it back sooner than you expect, Jim. Thanks for an excellent review and some really nice closeups of the pen's designs.

Beautiful pen! You must be disheartened to find the crack! We work hard for our money for someone to

take advantage. Shameful! <_<

Update:Yuk!! I have just found a crack on the lower barrel of the pen.Weeping ink.Didn't notice at first because the pen had never been filled.But now the crack is showing up very well.So frustrating!!! :angry: :angry:

JD

Great review, and even better handwriting. Omas pens are my favorites, and I never had one single problem (besides the stiff piston), except for the last one. It is a beautiful Bologna which began leaking between the threads and the section. I contacted Omas (Kenro), and they were very helpful, and told me that the repair would take from 3 to 5 weeks. So my Bologna is now taking a trip to Italy.

Best luck with your Roma.

• 2 weeks later...

That stinks when that happens. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Hey JD - did Omas fix the pen and get it back to you yet? I'm very curious...

It is so unsettling to find cracks in new pens like this. Either the quality assurance effort just happened to miss it, or the material had a fault that materialized under the right conditions... which makes you wonder how many other pens may suffer the same fate and at different times (going along fine and then year 4 comes, along with a crack--nasty!).

~Gary

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hey JD - did Omas fix the pen and get it back to you yet? I'm very curious...

It is so unsettling to find cracks in new pens like this. Either the quality assurance effort just happened to miss it, or the material had a fault that materialized under the right conditions... which makes you wonder how many other pens may suffer the same fate and at different times (going along fine and then year 4 comes, along with a crack--nasty!).

Greetings!!!

I contacted them today and it has not arrived back from italia as yet.It has now been 1 month.So he said he hopes it will be back in the States by next week and then on to me.I sure miss it .Thanks for asking.The communication from Kenro/Omas has been very good.They answer usually withing 8 hours.

JD

Hi guys Handlebar, please keep us posted. I am eager to see how this turns out, as I love Omas and have a dozen of them and may well ----who can tell----need some work down the road on one of my pens. There is no reason why it should not come back good as new. j

I have a new Omas Paragon in the coveted Arco and High-Tech finish bought recently and my understanding is the older Omas pens had a lot of issues with leaking and that this is why the designs were changed (for instance why the new version of the Paragon is chunky and has a silver gripping section, the looks of which I really like), and why they're making other changes to long-running models because of vulnerabilities in the earlier (and sometimes long-running) designs.

Best of luck in getting this resolved to your satisfaction. It is maddening and sometimes seems like the more you pay for a luxury item the less well it works and the less reliable it is (most things designed by Philippe Starck, for instance).

Greetings all!Well good and bad news to be had.The good news:I finally have received my Omas Roma back from the motherland and it is writing smooth as butter!!Took over 5 weeks but it is home.

The nib is a wet one which even though it is a fine point,tends to be right between a fine and medium to me.I inked it up with PR's DC Supershow blue.No leaks(so far-i will keep watch)and the small cut is gone.I'm very happy about the pen.

Bad news:I sent the complete package to Omas because i was not sure how they processed things.Box,leather holder,paperwork,etc.

And as you have already deduced,they only shipped back the pen.Thats it.I was a bit surprised.

So i have emailed them to address this.I know some could care less about the box,etc.But Omas make a very nice case and holder.If i want to re-sell,the box is essential.

So i hope they will take care of this for me.I will update again later.

My recommendation is that if you send a pen in,send ONLY the pen.

JD

Edited by handlebar

Greetings all!Well good and bad news to be had.The good news:I finally have received my Omas Roma back from the motherland and it is writing smooth as butter!!Took over 5 weeks but it is home.

The nib is a wet one which even though it is a fine point,tends to be right between a fine and medium to me.I inked it up with PR's DC Supershow blue.No leaks(so far-i will keep watch)and the small cut is gone.I'm very happy about the pen.

Bad news:I sent the complete package to Omas because i was not sure how they processed things.Box,leather holder,paperwork,etc.

And as you have already deduced,they only shipped back the pen.Thats it.I was a bit surprised.

So i have emailed them to address this.I know some could care less about the box,etc.But Omas make a very nice case and holder.If i want to re-sell,the box is essential.

So i hope they will take care of this for me.I will update again later.

My recommendation is that if you send a pen in,send ONLY the pen.

JD