MontBlanc Greta Garbo

QM2

MONTBLANC GRETA GARBO: BLACK AND IVORY RESIN

post-5823-1179022938_thumb.jpg

First Impressions 5/5

To appreciate the MB Greta Garbo, one must be truly into aesthetics: Because no question about it, aesthetics is this pen’s strongest point and biggest pull. As far as first impressions go, the Greta Garbo radiates luxury and beauty -- but it does this quietly, as if not wishing to draw attention to itself. I “fell” for this pen as if it were a living person: I felt shy around it and was almost afraid to touch it when I first saw it in person at the Boston Pen Show. Then I pined for it and dreamt about it regularly until the day I finally went (ran) to pick up my special-ordered Greta from Bromfield Pen Shop.

Appearance 5/5

The classic Greta Garbo Special Edition has a black resin body and ivory resin cap. The cap is embellished by a platinum-plated clip, at the tip of which is a single Akoya pearl. The top of the cap is black, with the MB snowcap logo. The snowcap is not white, but ivory to match the cap. This is a nice touch that keeps the overall visual design harmonious. The barrel of the pen is shaped like a 1920’s ladies’ cigarette holder. It looks somewhat like a desk-pen actually, only much shorter. The cap is shaped like a top-hat. This pen is very “curvy”: Some have suggested that it is actually meant to be an abstract version of Greta Garbo’s graceful body and style of dress: sleek black pencil-skirt clinging to the hips topped off with a white blouse and accented with a pearl necklace.

Appearance-wise, this pen is an uncanny combination of minimalism, glamour, and clean-cut perfection. The balance is in fact so delicate, that one step astray and the spell is broken. This review is specific to the black and ivory Greta Garbo, because, in my opinion, the other two versions (the all-black with diamonds, and the mother of pearl with rose gold and diamonds) cross the line into the ostentatious by piling on unnecessary “bling,” and forgo the timeless look of black-and-white by switching to bejeweled monotone.

post-5823-1179023016_thumb.jpg

Design 4/5

The Greta Garbo is a small pen. It is 4.8” capped, 4.5” uncapped and 5.3” posted. I have narrow hands with long “piano” fingers, and if this pen were any smaller, it would have been too small for me to use -- so that is something to keep in mind if you are considering it. When I try to write with the pen un-posted, the tip of he barrel does stick out beyond the inside of my palm, but the balance feels a bit off. This is due to the pen’s light weight and to the barrel tapering at the top. With the cap on however, the balance is perfect -- the cap is quite heavy and adds width. The smooth texture and the curvy shape of the pen make it comfortable to hold, but beware of its small size and delicate form. Another thing to note is that the gripping section of the pen is metal (platinum plated, like the clip), not resin. I personally do not mind this, but I know that for some people a metal gripping area is a no-no.

Nib 3.5/5

This pen comes with an 18K, platinum-plated nib, which is rather small but I suppose proportional to the size of the pen itself. The nib started out writing smoothly. Now, after a week of use (I always wait a bit before posting a review), it absolutely glides. When I first began using the pen, the nib skipped just a tiny bit. This stopped after the first half-day of use and it has not skipped since. When I inked up the pen for the first time, it took a little while for it to begin writing. However, after subsequent inkings, the pen wrote immediately. I therefore attribute both the skipping and the delay in writing, to the nib needing to be broken in. My only source of displeasure with the nib at this point, is its thickness: My EF writes like a wet Medium, and I understand this is typical of MontBlancs. Either way, I will eventually need to send it to be ground down to a true EF. I have pretty much come to terms at this point, that this will be the case with any pen I buy other than a Sailor, Namiki, Aurora and possibly Pelikan.

Filling System 3/5

The pen’s official specs say it is cartridge only. This is because the tapering of the barrel make it impossible to fit a standard size converter inside. However, you _can_ use a converter with this pen: It will take a standard mini-converter, such as the one by Delta/Yaffa, or the gold-plated Bantum one from Tryphon. I am using it with a converter right now, and it works perfectly well. The obvious drawback, is that this size converter holds a lot less ink than a standard size. Be prepared to refill frequently.

Cost and Value 4/5

Yes, MontBlancs are scandalously overpriced, there is no arguing with this and the subject has been covered extensively on this forum. Not only are they overpriced, but dealers are not allowed to deviate almost at all from retail price on these pens -- so you will get no “super clearance” from an authorised dealer. Within these parameters, I am very pleased with the deal I got.

Conclusion 4/5

Despite my obvious “crush” on this pen, I have tried to give an objective review and to diligently point out its flaws. This is not the pen to go to if you need a sturdy, full-size “work-horse” of a writer, this is not the pen to go to if you are hoping for a true EF nib right out of the box, and this is not the pen to go to if you do not want to be made fun of for using an expensive-looking MontBlanc. The pen is small, delicate, needs a half-day for the nib to be broken in, has limited ink capacity, and on top of all that it is overpriced. Yes, in the end it is a great writer and quite comfortable to hold – but certainly no more so than even its less-pricey relative the Meisterstuck, let alone a Pelikan, Aurora or Sailor.

My conclusion however, is that I absolutely love the MB Greta Garbo and I am not ashamed of it. Yes, I love it for the gorgeous looks – for the fact that is epitomizes aesthetic perfection like no other pen I have ever seen. And I love it for the effect it’s had on me: As far as I am concerned, this sense of passion and intense gratification is what collecting is all about.

http://queenmargot.com/montblanc_garbo1.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/montblanc_garbo3.jpg

Edited by MYU

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• goodguy

• Moravia

• nxtstep

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is a nice woman's pen and an ideal present for a nice woman who appreciates fine jewellery and writing articles. I wish that Montblanc will make a Lauren Bacall/Marlene Dietrich edition based on the 149.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

They are making a Marlene Deitrich edition actually; it is coming out this summer. I was excited to learn this, because Deitrch is perhaps my favourite actress. I did some research on what the pen is supposed to look like (photos of it are not yet available), and there is an article that describes it as involving sapphires. This is probably a "Blue Angel" reference, but it does not sound like my cup of tea visually. Too bad, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

QM2

I think it is a nice woman's pen and an ideal present for a nice woman who appreciates fine jewellery and writing articles. I wish that Montblanc will make a Lauren Bacall/Marlene Dietrich edition based on the 149.

Agree completely. Nice pen, but not for blokes. Give it to a special lady-friend...oooooor...to mommikins on Mother's Day...

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

QM2, thanks for your thoughtful review! Isn't it odd, how one can just really fall in love with an object? There's something about styling and design that can really communicate. For me, the hard part is carrying around the "work horse" pens, when I really want to be writing with my favorites...

I'm curious to know if the nib is engraved with anything that is specific to "Greta Garbo." The Kafka pen for example has a cockroach engraved on it.

Petra

Hi Petra,

No, the nib is not engraved with anything Garbo-like -- probably because it is too small to fit additional embellishments.

the hard part is carrying around the "work horse" pens, when I really want to be writing with my favorites...

The one pen I own that strikes the perfect balance between aesthetics and "workhorse" is my black and chrome Aurora Talentum (EF nib). It is usually the one non-variable pen in my take-everywhere pen-case.

Boys: I agree that Greta is definitely a ladies' pen -- if only for its small size, let alone the pearl detail. I am glad that you can none-the-less appreciate it though!

QM2

QM2,

Thanks for the wonderful review! This is a pen that has been in my list of desired objects for some time! The aesthetics and visual appeal of this pen are what it's all about. I have made a few pens myself, and I have spent a lot of time trying to acheive strong visual appeal without lots of tricky gimmicks, and I can tell you it is not easy to come up with a unique pen that is still simple AND beautiful! But the Gretta Garbo pulls it off!

I may still have to buy one of these, even though I find from your review that it is likely too small for my hand. I generally don't buy a pen that I don't intend to use, but in this case my "use" of it may be satisfied just by looking at it! Thanks again for the review.

Scott.

Thanks so much for the review! I am looking forward to finally purchasing my Greta Garbo. I'm quite excited! I believe I'm going to make a ceremony of test-dipping it when it arrives.

Very nice and balanced review. I especially appreciate that you took time and effort to discuss the cons of the pen. :thumbup:

QueenMargot2,

Thanks for an informative, balanced review. It is a beautiful pen. The other LE MontBlancs I like are the Virginia Woolf and the Agatha Christie -- not that I've ever had the chance to write with either!

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Thanks for the review. This is indeed a beautifully designed pen with sleek lines, great color contrast and accents. Very aesthetically pleasing.

It is definitely going on my wishlist. :)

Edited by Penache

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

• 3 weeks later...

I think a woman's pen. Nice and stylish! last Mothers day present, gentlemen?

Greetings from the other side of the earth

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a beautiful pen, too, but I love the review even more than the pen. (This happened once before when I read Pthalo's review of a Nakaya urushi tamenuri that sucked me into FPN.) Thanks! :blush:

• 1 year later...

i know i'm bringing up an old post however i think its worth it.. i loved the review u gave and i just got myself 1 today.. your very right about the nib it isn't as smooth right out the box and yes more i wrote smoother it got.

i have to argue on 1 thing though.. yes this looks like a females pen however i have used the ballpoint before(borrowed from my brother) and honestly it grabs a lot more attention then a lot of pens out there.. you can pull out a faulkner or woolf or some of the others but still this pen tops it... the way i see it.. if it grabs the attention means its done its job... most people using a mont blanc or any other fine pen try to make a statement or open up a conversation at least that's how i see it.

please let me know your takes too.. i wanted to write a review but i found this and i do agree with lots except the fact that it should be a woman's pen.

i know i'm bringing up an old post however i think its worth it..

honestly it grabs a lot more attention then a lot of pens out there.. you can pull out a faulkner or woolf or some of the others but still this pen tops it... the way i see it.. if it grabs the attention means its done its job... most people using a mont blanc or any other fine pen try to make a statement or open up a conversation at least that's how i see it.

please let me know your takes too..

Hi, thanks for your comments : )

This was one of my first pen reviews, and my very first Montblanc. When I bought this pen, I really did not know what I was doing; I bought it because I loved the way it looked so much, that I simply could not live without it! To tell the truth, I was not thinking about it making a statement to others, so later I began to get self-conscious using it in public -- because the pen is noticeable and people have commented on it!

Now that I've owned the Garbo for a year and a half, I can say several things:

- It is a very ergonomic pen in the hand; comfortable to use for long stretches

- The small size does not bother me, due to the above

- I dislike the metal section quite a bit (why Montblanc, why?...)

- Beware that the barrel can get scratched from posting the cap; post at your own risk

- It does well with the mini-converters

- It has no problems with Bulletproof Noodler's inks

- Last year, I had the nib reground to a .35mm cursive italic!!

- Despite loving this pen, at today's prices, I personally would not buy it again

(The street price seems to have almost doubled in a year!)

Oh, and in the original review I used a stock image, but here are some better photos:

http://themagicfountain.blogspot.com/2008/...reta-garbo.html

http://queenmargot.com/montblanc_garbo1.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/montblanc_garbo3.jpg

Edited by QM2

I cant believe I missed this review of a pen I was concidering before I found my true calling (WE pens).

This pen is gorgeous and I love its design.

I must admit I cant see myself getting this pen due to 2 reasons.

Even thoug I have no problem to use pens that have some femenine design in it this pen is simply over the top for me.Its clearly designed for woman and I think it does a great job at that.

Secondly this pen is clearly too small for me.

Oh of course I believe a true MB should be a piston filler.

Bottom line I think the pen is gorgeous and for woman it is the perfect pen.

Enjoy it QM2 :thumbup:

Respect to all

Appearance 5/5

The classic Greta Garbo Special Edition has a black resin body and ivory resin cap. The cap is embellished by a platinum-plated clip, at the tip of which is a single Akoya pearl. The top of the cap is black, with the MB snowcap logo. The snowcap is not white, but ivory to match the cap. This is a nice touch that keeps the overall visual design harmonious. The barrel of the pen is shaped like a 1920’s ladies’ cigarette holder. It looks somewhat like a desk-pen actually, only much shorter. The cap is shaped like a top-hat. This pen is very “curvy”: Some have suggested that it is actually meant to be an abstract version of Greta Garbo’s graceful body and style of dress: sleek black pencil-skirt clinging to the hips topped off with a white blouse and accented with a pearl necklace.

Appearance-wise, this pen is an uncanny combination of minimalism, glamour, and clean-cut perfection. The balance is in fact so delicate, that one step astray and the spell is broken. This review is specific to the black and ivory Greta Garbo, because, in my opinion, the other two versions (the all-black with diamonds, and the mother of pearl with rose gold and diamonds) cross the line into the ostentatious by piling on unnecessary “bling,” and forgo the timeless look of black-and-white by switching to bejeweled monotone.

I find this thing to be just plain ugly. It's slim on one end and then fat, then thin. Yuck. Haven't used it though, could care less though, MBs are too "oh look at me" to be practical. Lamy pens own.

///

I find this thing to be just plain ugly. It's slim on one end and then fat, then thin. Yuck. Haven't used it though, could care less though, MBs are too "oh look at me" to be practical. Lamy pens own.

wow.. if u only understand the meaning of the pen and the reason it holds the curves... i guess u never seen a real womans body to understand the pen.lol.. sorry if its coming off harsh but its just true.. this pen is a beauty and yes it is a bit feminine however im a guy and just bc of its beauty i would use it.. not many pens can grab ur attention like this 1 does.

MBs are too "oh look at me" to be practical. Lamy pens own.

Some of MB pens are indeed eye catching like many other modern pen makers.

As for practical usability let me assure you MB makes some of the finest writesr out there.

MB 146 and 149 in my eyes are pens I can use all day long and they feel much better then many other pens.

As for Lamy,other then the 2000 (which I love) I find there nibs to be uninsparational and plain boring,the design is too modern with no soul.They make good reliable boring pens that leave me bored right out of my skull.

Writing is about passion and not utalitarian for me.

If I wanted only a relible writing tool I could have bought a Bic Stick for 25c

Respect to all

Evaluations of appearance are personal and subjective. Enjoy your Lamys, they are great pens.