Lamy Safari

OldGriz

It arrived today, is filled and I have been writing with it... here are my initial impressions.

I purchased this pen as a knock around pen and all impressions are based on that concept.

First Impressions 5/5

I bought this pen as my knock around pen... for when I am out and don't want to take one of my better ones

Based on that reasoning this is a great pen

Appearance 3/5

I let my daughter pick the color so I have a nice light blue pen with a red clip...

It is actually a nice combination.

The pen is far from pretty, but it is definitely a functional design

Design 5/5

This is a pure and simple student pen or for the adult a good basic knock around pen.

I doubt you are going to do any serious damage to this pen unless you try real hard.

It has a simple wire clip that will definitely hold the pen in your pocket.

The cap is a simple snap on that mates to a plastic ring on the section...

The body has two flats and two windows so you can see the ink capacity.

The section has two flats that position your fingers... a good idea for new FP users and students.

Nib 5/5

Here I was very pleasantly surprised. The nib is blackened steel and kind of reminds me of the Pelikan GO nibs.

I ordered a fine nib and was a bit worried about the actual width and reported dry scratchy writing.

To put it mildly, this nib is very smooth right out to the box and dead on in width. I would rate it about 6/10 in wetness with the Caran d'Ache Storm ink that is in it.

Filling System 3/5

Only because I am not a big fan of C/C fillers...

You have to purchase the converter separately, but no big deal. The converter fills well

Cost and Value 5/5

I paid $19.00 for the pen and $4.50 for the converter... where are you going to find a good writing pen for $23.50 today.

I purchased the pen from Pear Tree Pens and James told me that Lamy has raised the prices...

In some online shops I have seen them for $22-27.... so if you want one of these grab one from James before the prices go up.

Conclusion 26/30

While I probably will not be buying another Safari unless I lose this one somehow, I can say that I am very very pleased with this pen...

Definitely not the POS or CW that has been described in another thread.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• OldGriz

• angel

• AndyHayes

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, and nice pic! I notice the cap has a matching red insert. My Vista and Al-Star have black plastic inserts with an "X" inscribed. I think I just read on another thread that the rollerball, which is the same shape, has an "I" inscribed. That way, you can look at your pocket and know which is which without having to uncap it. But I like the color coordinated insert on yours!

Doug

Edited by HDoug

I saw some of the other recent um.... criticisms of the pen, but I really love it, especially as a knock around pen. It's the one I throw in my pocket and don't have to worry about. I have a M nib, which was really surprisingly smooth.

-Bhavin

Of asphodel, that greeny flower, I come, my sweet, to sing to you!" -- William Carlos Williams

My review of the Safari would be about the same, particularly given that you put a perspective or comparison basis for your review. I relate pens to different categories, and my evaluation of them is relative to their category. Like you, I consider my Safari a pen for times when I don't want to have to worry my fountain pen. For that purpose, I would give it very high marks, particularly given the price.

Thanks for writing this review!

I have the exact same pen, the blue with red clip, with an F nib that wrote smoothly right out of the box. I basically agree with your assessments. I would have given higher marks on appearance, because I like how young and funky it is compared with my more sedate-looking vintage pens. I also diverge in your conclusion that only one is enough. :blush: I was so impressed by my Safari that I bought another in the Flame color (orange with a red clip). I also credit the Safari with converting my husband to fountain pens! :thumbup: He was impressed by how my blue/red Safari writes, so I bought him a Charcoal one (more sedate-looking than my colorful ones, but it suits him). He now carries it every day.

Nice review! You seem to have gotten a really fine fine. My fine is a bit

thicker, more like an M. Nice colors too, I was getting that one but

somehow ended up the slightly drab charcoal...

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

Surprisingly, they're not beyond breaking. I recently replaced my wife's after she broke the section and the part that holds the clip on. She neither dropped it nor tortured it.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Tis true, very functional and robust pen, was my first FP way way back at uni in my first year, got lots of comments in tutorials, had very bright blur ink (turquise), can not remember what really happened to it...somehow I think it died...but damn if I can remember how or why.

Good luck with yours and have fun.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I am waiting for one to arrive from James at Pear Tree even as we speak. Mine will be in the all-red livery. I bought it for much the same reasons as you bought yours -- a pen for knock-around use. Specifically, when I am working at the range, I want a pen that will clip to the collar of my T-shirt without any concern that the thicker material will "spring" the clip. I appreciate your review as I have read some of the other recent posts and wondered if I had made a mistake. I hope my experience is much like yours. BTW, nice hand. (I am an amateur radio CW operator, and when people say "nice fist", it means a lot! Same thing here, I reckon.)

I think this makes a nice informal or sacrifical pen. My personal kockaround pen is a Pelikano, which I like a lot. I like the indents on the section. This is probably a very good pen for long lectures.

A nice thing about these Safaris (and their kin) is that replacement nib are just $12 and come in F,M B, 1.1 ital and 1.5 ital. If you lend it out and it gets meat-handed into a paperclip-shape, it's just a $12 repair. Also, as you can swap nibs without emptying the pen; you can take several nibs and one pen with you and swap the linewidth whenever you feel the urge.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

My Safari arrived today and I spent some time with it. After washing it with a mild detergent -- I just do this with every pen, new or used, before inking it up now, it makes a difference -- I first tried it with some Waterman South Seas Blue which I received last week but had not yet tried. Well, I am happy with the pen. It is the all-red version, with M nib. Glides like nobody's business; not a bit of snag on any of 3 papers I tried it on. This is one smooth pen. However, I was not crazy about the South Seas Blue. When I was a junior in High School and the Flair pen had just arrived on the scene, I had a brief craze for the turquoise variety. This lasted for about two pens' worth, and then I dropped it and never went back. This ink is almost identical. Very pretty, I have to say, just not me. (It was included in a deal with two other inks that I really like, which was a good deal regardless, so I don't mind at all. I will give it to someone who wants it without a second thought; maybe at the Raleigh pen show, to avoid shipping costs.)

I cleaned it again and inked it up with Quink Black. Works great. I am very happy with this combination.

However, it is probably more trouble to use the converter with this pen than any other I own. What I mean is, it is harder to clean up after filling. The ink seems to cling to the plastic. I may switch to cartridges. I think I read that this pen will take the international standard cartridges, but I confess I don't know what those might be. I have three cartridges on hand; one which came with the pen, some Watermans, and the Sailors that came with my 1911. None of them look like they would fit in one of the other pens. It may not matter; the only cartridges my local Staples carries are the Waterman, so if I have to order off the web, I can order whatever.

A handwriting that nice, makes any pen looks good. :thumbup:

Thanks for a good review of the pen.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

The Safari only takes the Lamy cartridges or converter....

If you take that bottle of Waterman SS Blue and add a bit of Florida Blue a little at a time you will get a real nice color... just have to adjust it to your taste.

I picked up a Lamy Vista (Pretty much the same as the Safari) a few days ago. This model is a demonstrator.. All clear.

As a knock around pen, its great. As for that other review.. I only say that you get what you pay for.. If you aren't happy with a $25 pen, buy something else.. For what it is, it's a fine pen.

I'd rather break this pen than my Parkers, Montblancs or Duponts.

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

• 2 months later...

What a great pen! I had been thinking of getting one for some time (no rush--they are plenty available) and ended up getting a used one as a surprise freebie on a purchase I made from a FleaBay seller.

Mine is in olive drab color (perfect match to camouflage outfits for safari trips) with a black MK nib. It was thoroughly clogged with dried ink. Well, this thing cleaned up nicely and writes beautifully consistent. The MK is a bit wet for my preferences, but this makes a great back-up pen for an outdoors trip. The plastic is definitely great quality. The big clip is spring loaded and works well, plus is versatile for being attached to all kinds of things. Don't go camping or backpacking without your Safari! :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Mine is in olive drab color (perfect match to camouflage outfits for safari trips) with a black MK nib. It was thoroughly clogged with dried ink.

Sounds like you got the rare Savanna Green - congratulations! :)

Regards

Hans-Peter

Edited by Hans-Peter Ording