Sailor Lapis Lazuli Limited Edition

TheNobleSavage

Sailor Lapis Lazuli Limited Edition

First Impressions

I have never owned a Sailor Fountain pen and this was a good opportunity to buy one. This is another limited edition fountain pen made by Sailor for Swisher Pens. This is a Magellan with a different color and a different name. Unfortunately, Sailor discontinued the production of the Magellan series and my search for a used one came up empty handed. So while browsing Swisher Pens, I found this pen in the “Clearance Section” and “whalah” here it is!!!! When the pen arrived at my house, I opened the box and I found out that he pen is a bit skinner that I am used to but all of the Japanese pens that I own are roughly this size. I was given the choice as to what nib I wanted, I chose the “Music Nib”. Since this nib is 21kt Gold versus the standard 14kt gold, I paid an extra $25.00 for it. I have been intrigued by the Platinum Maestro Music Pen with the double slit music nib that my Dad brought over for me to check out. I love how smooth and thick of a line this nib produces but also by changing the angle of the pen, you can produce a razor sharp line. So since I had the choice of nibs, I bought the Sailor with the music nib. I know you cannot go wrong with Sailor and even though this nib only has a standard single slit versus the Platinum double slit, I am sure this will be comparable.

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/stones/lapislazuli-003.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Sailor%20Lapis%20Lazuli%20pictures/overall1.jpg

Appearance/ Finish 5 out of 5

I am partial to Blue and Black colored pens and since this pen is a marbled blue design, this was a deciding factor. The Lapis Lazuli is a gemstone that is considered one of the most expensive blue gemstones in the world. This pen has some of the same color characteristics as the gemstone, a gorgeous mottled dark and light blue pattern. The pen has a high gloss shine, like you would expect from a brand new pen from the factory.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Sailor%20Lapis%20Lazuli%20pictures/number.jpg

On the barrel, as you would expect, there is the limited edition number imprint. Mine is “127/150” and there is nothing fancy about this imprint, it is sort of lost in the mottled blue color design on this pen

The Bexley Submariner looks like a bigger brother to this Sailor pen. It is strikingly similar especially with the shape and the clip. Along the high shine gold cap band, it reads “Sailor Japan Founded 1911” Since I do not own any other Sailor pens, I guess this is a standard band. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Design/Size/Weight 5 out of 5

As I said, this is a Magellan with a different color and name and there are very few if any design differences. The weight of this pen has a nice medium feel to it. It is very well balanced and writes as well posted or not. I am more comfortable with the cap posted; it provides a nice counter balance to the pen in my hand. The cap its self is much heavier than the rest of the pen due to the amount of metal that is in the cap band. I do not see much of a chance of a cracked lip on the cap. It looks like Sailor looked ahead to develop counter measures for the “day to day” wear and tear.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Sailor%20Lapis%20Lazuli%20pictures/cap.jpg

The length of the Sailor capped is very close to the size of the Pilot/Namiki Vanishing point. The diameter is slightly smaller on the Sailor. This pen really fits well in my hands and also very comfortable. There are no complaints with the design, size or weight. Sailor did their homework, too bad that they have stopped production on this wonderful pen

Nib Design and Performance 5 out of 5

Here is where things really start to get interesting, due to the fact that this is an unusual nib. I have only written with a music nib once and that is with the Platinum Maestro Music pen. I wondered if there would be a difference in performance from the double slit of the Platinum versus the single slit of the Sailor. I wish I would have scanned in the results so I could show you. In my test, I found both nibs to perform neck and neck. They both had a nice juicy broad line on the down stroke, while both had a razor sharp fine line on the side stroke.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Sailor%20Lapis%20Lazuli%20pictures/uncapped.jpg

The Platinum has a 14kt gold nib while the Sailor sports a 21kt gold nib. One would expect the 21kt gold nib to be a noodle. Well, it is not!! The 21kt feels a little bit more spongy but not by much. Both pens perform flawlessly in every test I tried. You can have the shabbiest handwriting in the world, like me. When you start using this nib, the chicken scratch starts to look like nice handwriting. This pen has enabled me to write more legible and crisper. Since this nib is so different, it has its place in my collection. I cannot use this kind of nib on a daily basis because I find it somewhat limiting. I almost consider this nib a novelty; it does have its place. It performs flawless in writing letter where isn’t a time limit. I find it a very artistic nib and so does my wife. She won’t give it up, so I have to sneak and snatch it from her.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Sailor%20Lapis%20Lazuli%20pictures/nib.jpg

The Filling System 3.5 out of 5

This pen has a typical cartridge/converter filling system. Unfortunately, Sailor pens use a proprietary cartridge and converter. These cartridges and converters are not readily available at Staples, Office Depot and Wal-Mart. You generally have to resort to a specialty store to purchase these items. At least, the Sailor cartridges and converters are more readily available than Platinum converters and cartridges.

As I stated with the Platinum Purple Passion review, I really wish that they would have used a more universal cartridge/converter system. But then again, this is how manufactures milk the consumers and make money. Thank goodness I use the converter, it really alleviates these problems!!

Cost 3.5 out of 5

This pen is a bit on the costly side, especially when you can buy one of the new Sailor 1911M pens for $25.00 to $30.00 less than the Lapis Lazuli. This might be one of your last chance to own a brand new limited edition Magellan fountain pen. Also you can chose the 14kt gold nib and save about $25.00 or you can spend the extra $25.00 for the 21kt gold nib and try the Music nib, Zoom nib or the standard sized nibs.

Conclusion

In all, this pen is made very well and the only major complaint I had is the proprietary filling system. The pen writes nice, looks nice and hell, it is nice!! This is a limited edition pen out of 150. So if limited editions are up your alley or you want a special edition Magellan fountain pen, then this might be for you. As I said, I do not use this pen everyday due to the fact that this pen is not good at taking quick notes or writing checks for bills, in my opinion. This pen does have its place in my collection, especially for formal letter writing or artistic stuff and I even use it to write in my journal. But remember, this review was for the Sailor Lapis Lazuli WITH THE MUSIC NIB!!! If you have a use for it or you want to improve your handwriting, then this is it. www.swisherpens.com

Edited by The Noble Savage

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• KCat

• Leslie J.

• woodwindmaster06

The Sailor "zoom" nib has me really tempted to try one of these babies. My only reservation is the cartridge/converter system.

Edited by scribble

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

NS - thanks for another wonderful review!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

The Sailor "zoom" nib has me really tempted to try one of these babies. My only reservation is the cartridge/converter system.

I was very disappointed to find out theat the Sailor King Of Pens is a c/c pen. What a waste for such a wonderful pen

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Great one, again, NS.  :D

Only the first picture showed up. Was that the way you planned it?  :unsure:

You might want to refresh because it is showing up fine. They are not huge images but then again they are not tiny

FPN is running slow

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hi NS,

Great review, as always. However, only the first picture showed up. I checked the picture names and I think that is where the problem lies. There are dots (".") embedded in the filename of the picture, and although Windows doesn't mind, I think the internet does. Could you please edit your filenames for the pictures to just have a dot between name and extension, example:

not: http://images5.theimagehosting.com/overall1.6.jpg

but, f.e.: http://images5.theimagehosting.com/overall1-6.jpg

That should do the trick. Other than editing the name of the pic (overall1.6 -> overall1-6), you'll have to edit the review as well, to reflect the new name.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I was very disappointed to find out theat the Sailor King Of Pens is a c/c pen. What a waste for such a wonderful pen

yeah - it seems silly to me sometimes to see these giant pens that only take tiny little cartridges or converters. I think it was Leslie that told me that her Sailor came with the "tiniest converter" she'd ever seen. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi NS,

Great review, as always. However, only the first picture showed up. I checked the picture names and I think that is where the problem lies. There are dots (".") embedded in the filename of the picture, and although Windows doesn't mind, I think the internet does. Could you please edit your filenames for the pictures to just have a dot between name and extension, example:

not: http://images5.theimagehosting.com/overall1.6.jpg

but, f.e.: http://images5.theimagehosting.com/overall1-6.jpg

That should do the trick. Other than editing the name of the pic (overall1.6 -> overall1-6), you'll have to edit the review as well, to reflect the new name.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

The imaging host went down with technical difficulties, because I cannot access the site and all my review pictures wont come up.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I switched to a different image hosting company.  You should be able to see the images now!!! :D

Good man, Savage. They look great! :rolleyes: What hosting company are you using now?

What is different about the music nib vs. say a plain old italic of say, 0.9, 1.1 or 1.3 sizes?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi NS,

Thanks, works for me now! I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms, so that was just in time! :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I switched to photobucket and it seems to work without a hitch. For some reason, imageshack is being filtered out at my work. So I wanted to try a different hosting company tat would not be filtered. Unfortunately, that company experiences frequent outages, thats when I switched to photobucket

As for the music nib VS an itallic, I really do not know, sorry!! I do not own a typical itallic pen

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

yeah - it seems silly to me sometimes to see these giant pens that only take tiny little cartridges or converters. I think it was Leslie that told me that her Sailor came with the "tiniest converter" she'd ever seen. :)

Actually it was the Namiki VP that has the smallest converter known to man, or woman. :P The Sailor Magellan converter is just average, a lot like a Platinum converter but probably proprietary to Sailor.

Never lie to your dog.

Actually it was the Namiki VP that has the smallest converter known to man, or woman. :P The Sailor Magellan converter is just average, a lot like a Platinum converter but probably proprietary to Sailor.

well, this was long before your VP purchase. So I know I recall correctly. But obviously, new experience leads to new assessment. :) I also remember that startling Sailor Red. :blink:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks for this info. I'm not just quibbling here. My experience with cartridges and converters is that the small diameter results in too much surface tension to get enough flow for the diluted inks I want to use. I would like to use the zoom and might have risked trying it only to be shocked and dismayed. It is such an attractive and unique concept though that I might still have to give it a shot someday.

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

well, this was long before your VP purchase. So I know I recall correctly. But obviously, new experience leads to new assessment. :) I also remember that startling Sailor Red. :blink:

:P :P Okay, obviously *experience* has now taught me that the Sailor converter is not really so small. After the Sailor came the Platinum, then the VP, each with a smaller looking converter than the one before. ;)

Never lie to your dog.

• 6 months later...

Great review everything is accurate with my pen as well, I have the zoom and it is very good, see my other review for more, great pen and great review.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest