Pump Pen with a Hunt 101

antoniosz

Well, technically it is a fountain pen as it has its own supply of ink. So this is the proper place for the review.

Many people have been extolling the extreme thin-thick contrast and the effortless flex of dip nibs, as well as

their ability to deal with nasty inks that would normaly clog any fountain pen. Yes they are difficult to

contol - those with no iridium that can achieve a minute hairline but can easily catch on the upstroke.

But you can practice and with the proper selection of paper they can perform miracles. But then, you have

to dip all the time. So here is an interesting alternative. I got it from Charles Ackerman as a result of a

"settlement" from an older trade. The concept is simple. It is essentially an eyedropper contruction

with a rudimentary feed that can fit a standard dip pen. There are also others that you can use a crowquill

with, or a speedball or a brush (http://www.ackermanpens.com/)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/pumpdip-001.jpg

The pump is an elastic diaphragm to "coax" difficult inks such as viscous acrylic inks etc. The concept is interesting.

You can write with a dip pen without the need to dip all the time. I wrote the two pages below with less

than 1/3 of the ink that could fit in the pen. The thick lines really consume a lot of ink. The dip nib used here

was a Hunt 101 which we happened to discuss few days ago (here).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/pumpdip-003.jpg

A slight disadvantage is that you need to match the feed with the viscocity of the ink. The feed has a simple

cylindrical central hole that starts from the bottom of the ink reservoir and bends to the side to meet the nib.

I got two feeds with the pen with two different levels of flow restriction. The acrylic ink definitely needed the

generous flow feed. Another artistic nib with low viscosity could probably use an even more restrictive feed.

I thought about why wouldnt we put a dip nib in a regular FP. First in most FPs the feed has a tight fit and

removal requires some effort. With the pump pen you just pull it and it gets out easily. Also an FP feed

would clog too easily with the difficult inks. Here the feed has a simple cylindrical shape (no channels etc.).

Of course this means that the ink flow is not as well regulated as it would be in an FP (especially with the

low viscocity inks). But with the high viscosity inks, this is not a problem.

The basic advantages and disadvantages are the typical ones for dip nibs. Great flex and contrast but difficult

upstrokes and splashing if one is careless. Dip pens can be used with unusual inks but they bend and corrode.

At least with the pump you get closer to the FP model in terms of ink supply.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/pumpdip-006.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/pumpdip-005.jpg

At the end of the day you have to be as careful as with a dip nib either for catching on upstrokes or avoiding.

But you can write a lot because of the ink supply.

The verdict: A very interesting gadget if you like to play with dip nibs.

Edited by antoniosz

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Leigh R

• Rabbit

• DennisU

So cool!! Thank you for this! I have been learning to use dip pens and this looks terrific. I just ordered a couple of these pump pens.

wow!

Antonios, the "Standard Nib" model is the one that a normal dip nib will fit in? I love the Brause No. 76 Rose nib (about the same size as Hunt 101, but I seem to have better luck with it) and have been thinking of different ways to get an ink supply to a dip nib. This pump pen might be easier than some of the things I've tried! I once successfully installed a dip nib into a Sonnet feed and section, but I had to alter the nib a lot to get it to work, and it was annoying to keep it aligned correctly while screwing the feed & nib into the section. Also, I felt limited to fountain pen ink because I didn't want to screw up the feed and I knew it would have the best flow. I really look forward to trying the pump pen and hope to order one in the future. Thanks for the review!

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review Antoniosz. I've had a trusty early version brush pen in my art pack for a few years now. I'll be needing one of the dip-nib versions PDQ :happyberet: .

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 2 months later...