Pelikan Steno

Samovar

I got a Pelikan Steno the other day from Nota Bene in Montreal. I have to thank Russell the owner for finding this rare Pelikan pen.

user posted image

The pen was 36$ CA and can be found at Swisher for 25$ US.

The pen is not distributed in Canada or the US and it's part of the school line up in Germany.

The body of the pen is made of sturdy black plastic similar to the Pelikano. There is a window to see the ink level and the cap is made out of metal. The cap clips to the barrel of the pen.

The Pelikan on the tassie is really nice.

It's a pen mean't for business and the quality is there. The XXF nib is great, similar to to my VP fine.

The pen is cartridge filled and will accept a converter.

It's a pity this pen is not widely available, but I'm really happy I got mine.

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samovar

• Silvermink

• FiasCo

• chelydra

What is the size compared to other Pelikan pens? It is similar to a 600 series, a 200 series?

QUOTE (jonro @ Apr 1 2007, 07:44 PM)
What is the size compared to other Pelikan pens? It is similar to a 600 series, a 200 series?

Jonro,

I only own two 200 and two Pelikano.

It's 1 cm longer than a 200 and about the same size as a Pelikano, don't know about the 600.

It's pretty much the same diameter as the 200 also, but the grip is straight.

It's bit shorter than a Rotring 600 or a Targa, but about the same size.

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

Thanks for the review, I always enjoy a rare opportunity to talk about this pen, as its writing characteristics are unique among the pens I own. It has a springiness (not flex) that produces significant line variation and is also capable of a very line line when needed. I use it primarily for my checkbook and similar activities but it's really suitable for anything.

Jonro--it about the length of a Pelikan 600 but thinner. It's 5-3/8 inches capped and just under 6 inches posted.

I'm a big fan of this pen (bought mine through Chuck & Co. a couple of years ago). Very plain, but a great workhorse, and a pleasure to write with.

QUOTE (BobR @ Apr 2 2007, 03:14 AM)
It has a springiness (not flex) that produces significant line variation and is also capable of a very line line when needed.

That pen is originally meant for stenography (AKA shorthand). That's the reason for that name. In some stenographic systems width of line has some meaning. Therefore that pen has that springiness.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

QUOTE (juhtolv @ Apr 2 2007, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (BobR @ Apr 2 2007, 03:14 AM)
It has a springiness (not flex) that produces significant line variation and is also capable of a very line line when needed.

That pen is originally meant for stenography (AKA shorthand). That's the reason for that name. In some stenographic systems width of line has some meaning. Therefore that pen has that springiness.

Thanks Juhtolv,

I forgot to mention the springiness of the nib, you are right. It's not flexible like my Densho EF flex, it's quite unique and give a nice line variation.

I remember reading your comment about the pen a little while ago.

I filled my pen with the "burple" mix, 50% Waterman Florida Blue and 50% purple.

I spent the day writing with it and it's a workhorse.

Samovar

Edited by Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

• 3 months later...

I have two Pelikan Stenos. I bought my first one on ebay a few years ago and haved loved it so much that I recently bought a second from Swisher Pens with the idea of using it as a drawing pen. I've been surprised at their differences. The older Steno (I believe made in the 70s) has a red body without the matte finish of the newer black one, while the stainless cap is more burnished.

What really matters, though, is that my older one writes with noticeably more spring and a much finer line-almost hairline if necessary. It is also a soft feeling nib, something like the old Pelikan 140s. This makes it a real delight for folks like myself who like flexible, expressive nibs but don't want the risk or hassle of carrying a vintage pen to work each day. My new black "Steno" feels to me like a Cross solo fine point or similar pen; it is very reliable but otherwise unremarkable. The line width of my older red one is more comparable to a Cross solo XF. Overall, I find nothing characteristically "Pelikan" about the nib of my new black Steno, but for people used to writing with rigid nibs, that won't matter.

Edited by wildblueroan

• 1 year later...

I agree that the newer Steno does not have the flex of the older models. I just bought a new one at KaDaWe in Berlin (19 euro) and actually returned it the next day because it was so unimpressive. I tried another one at the store that had slightly more flex and better flow, and took it instead, but I am largely unimpressed with it overall. As far as flex goes, I much prefer my Namiki Falcon F and M pens, but I am hoping that this one will "loosen up" with use. For those of you who've used the newer stenos for a while, do you think there is any chance of that happening?

I agree that the newer Steno does not have the flex of the older models. I just bought a new one at KaDaWe in Berlin (19 euro) and actually returned it the next day because it was so unimpressive. I tried another one at the store that had slightly more flex and better flow, and took it instead, but I am largely unimpressed with it overall. As far as flex goes, I much prefer my Namiki Falcon F and M pens, but I am hoping that this one will "loosen up" with use. For those of you who've used the newer stenos for a while, do you think there is any chance of that happening?

I assume that mine is the newer model. I don't have the older one to compare it to, but it is certainly stiffer than my Namiki Falcon and my Pelikan 140. It does have a bit of spring and I can generate line width, but it's not terrific. I still like it, but that was a long way of saying that no, it hasn't loosened up with use. I'd love to get my hands on an older one!

This is a neat pen, and a good value to snag from Swisher's if you are looking for a low-cost daily user. I bought one last year, but sold it, because ironically, mine was too wet of a writer!

I noticed when exchanging my Steno in Berlin that the second pen had less of a pronounced downward curve in the nib than the stiffer model I had originally purchased. Whether this difference resulted from manufacturing or too many test drives, it was a noticeable one that demonstrated itself in a more flexible nib. If they both started out the same, then perhaps there's still hope for change. (Sorry, couldn't help myself there).

• 3 months later...

I bid on two eBay 'Stenos' — one was the vintage red steel-nib Steno described enthusiastically in one of the messages above. The other was not the newer "Steno" but rather an old (circa 1962) Pelikan 400 with a gold ST (for stenography) nib. The former was sent to the wrong country by mistake, and I haven't seen it yet. The one I have, the 400, is the pen I've dreamt of all my life, but didn't know existed except in my imagination. The only problem is that it was designed to write in loose swirly lines at blinding speed, and it won't do anything else happily. Because it's such a joy to let it fly, and the results are so dazzlingly graceful — like Olympic figure skating — I think I might have to get used to writing in huge, wild, illegible swoops and spirals. At normal velocities, it's super-smooth ultra-fine-point, but doesn't display its unique line quality.

I bid on two eBay 'Stenos' — one was the vintage red steel-nib Steno described enthusiastically in one of the messages above.

I think maybe we were bidding on the same vintage Steno a few months ago. :)

I just won one myself a week or so ago - if I like it I may pick up a current one and do a head-to-head review, as there seem to be differing opinions on how they compare.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thank you for posting this. I am a fan of the entry level Pels and this appears to be the classiest of the lot.

• 8 months later...

How does the Steno (old or new) compare to the Reform 1745? It also has a flexible steel nib. Maybe aimed at the same audience?

Judd Rogers Lamy Safari M Cursive Italic, 1.1 mm stub Pelikan 200 B Pelikan Go Rotring Initial M and B Waterman 32 Unknown Franken Pen

How does the Steno (old or new) compare to the Reform 1745? It also has a flexible steel nib. Maybe aimed at the same audience?

Totally different audiences.

The 1745 was a standard school pen in Germany for many years. I bought a box of 20, never used, on eBay for about $1 a pen. It's a great little pen for the money, but "for the money" is the key phrase. It's rugged, reliable, moderately flexible, and agreeable, although designed to fit comfortably into a nine-year-old's grip. Fine for schoolwork. Pretty damn good for everything else too, short of fancy calligraphy or elaborate doodling.

The Pelikan Steno was produced specifically for stenographers, who have unique professional needs for fast, effortlessly swirly lines with extreme variations within each stroke. I think I just bought one (another one, since the first never turned up) on eBay, of the old red variety. As noted above, I also have a 400NN with a gold ST nib, which is more amazing than ever, improving with use. (I guess this one was intended for high-class secretaries.)

In sum, the 1745 is remarkable mainly for the cost-benefit ratio, which is undoubtedly the best of all vintage (or new) fountain pens, and for its tiny size. The stenographic Pelikan, on the other hand (the good old kinds anyway) is a unique experience. I've yet to try any of the other brands (mentioned above by others) with flexible superfine points, but I can't imagine they're quite as mind-blowingly perfect.

OOPS! I spoke too soon — I was whipping up some samples for you, when the ST nib got moody, scratchy, and recalcitrant. She does that sometimes. Then I fiddle with her a little and she usually brightens right up, gets all warm and friendly again. Not this time, though. Stage fright, maybe. By the way, my other good Pelikan is a 100N with a KF point, which combines the smooth swirly variable ST line quality (slightly sharper and more angular, a little less graceful, with a more assertive masculine look) with the absolutely solid reliability of the Reform 1745.