Franklin-Christoph M-14 FP-Red

snugglebny

This is my first review.I hope it helps.My husband,moustache,has been collecting fountain pens for quite awhile now.I finally caught the bug last year.The highlight for me was going to the LA pen show last month.It was there i won my first fountain pen:A Franklin-Christoph M-14.It is a nice pen.Here is a photograph of it:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/FC2.jpg

The pen has a very nice ,heavy weight to it.It is much heavier than the celluloids and such i borrow from my husbands pen case tongue.gif tongue.gif

The cap is held by a magnet on either side:posted or capped.And it is a strong magnet.This cap is going nowhere!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/FC4.jpg

The nib came as a fine,which i requested.I used a blue cartridge supplied to try it out.Very nice feel and the nib is average to me.Not too wet and not toothy or dry.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/FC3.jpg

Since i didn't pay for this pen,the value ratio is not something i will address.I see the retail/list price is around $90.That seems like a decent price for this pen.

It has become my every day writing pen.I hope to start collecting other pens.Maybe even review more!!

Ann(snugglebny)

Vancouver,Wa

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• snugglebny

• Cloud

• jonro

Well done review!! Even if i'm a wee bit biased towards the person doing the review tongue.gif

JD

Vancouver,Wa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ann,

Nice review and very nice pen. I commented somewhere here in FPN that my only experience with Franklin-Christoph was excellent, thought I did not buy one of their brand pens.

If you enjoy heftier pens that those nasty celluloids your husband insists on carrying, may I suggest you send them all at once to me and I will conveniently dispose them without harming nature. animal26.gif I am sure Mr. Moustage will understand and appreciate your gesture... in fact, he might even consider giving you an Arte Italiana Omas full size Arco, which is more substantial than those you have tried.

Enjoy your new addiction!

Alejandro

QUOTE (acfrery @ Apr 8 2007, 05:51 PM)
Hi Ann,

Nice review and very nice pen. I commented somewhere here in FPN that my only experience with Franklin-Christoph was excellent, thought I did not buy one of their brand pens.

If you enjoy heftier pens that those nasty celluloids your husband insists on carrying, may I suggest you send them all at once to me and I will conveniently dispose them without harming nature. animal26.gif I am sure Mr. Moustage will understand and appreciate your gesture... in fact, he might even consider giving you an Arte Italiana Omas full size Arco, which is more substantial than those you have tried.

Enjoy your new addiction!

Alejandro

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif Hmmmmmmm

laugh.gif

JD

Never heard of this firm but quite a nice pen smile.gif, enjoy it wink.gif

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice review and nice pen. It looks like it has a lot of nice detail to it, which is always nice to see in a fountain pen.

Thanks much for the review and pix. I'd never heard of them before.. The use of a magnet is very clever. Why didn't Lamy think of it (to avoid the "ears" on the 2000)? The shape of the pen is also very appealing.

Doug

• 7 months later...

OH Ann!!!! Finally you caught up the bug!!!!!! Well, now you two can't blame each other for the money spent on pens..hopefully :lol:

Welcome to FPN.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Glad to see someone else is impressed with this pen. It is solidly made, and has been a breeze to use from the start. It is one of the pens I like to use when I have to take notes in a theater because I don't have to worry about the cap coming loose and flying off somewhere in the dark (It's happened before...no bad results, beyond mild heart attacks and panic).

I have the black model with a fine nib, and the flow is perfect.

Very nice pen -- I look forward to trying some of their other models in the future.

jdw

• 1 year later...

I bought one of their demo M-14s from a pen show back in November - it is a Medium nib, black with rhodium trim.

This pen has turned out to be one of my favorite writers. It has an awesome nib that writes smooth as silk with just a touch of feedback - difficult to describe, but a very pleasant experience. The pen is quite heavy with the magnets, but writing with the cap unposted makes for a great length and good balance and weight for me. It has handled any ink I have used in it with no problems, is a nice, wet medium.

I was tending more toward fine nibs and always wrote with the cap posted until this pen - my tastes have switched to medium and even broad, now, and the rest of my pens are now used unposted.

Great pen, but because of the weight, probably not for everyone.

~ Rainwalker

Thanks for the great review Ann, next we will have I hope a husband and wife review which of course means you will both have to get a his and hers pen set!

Thanks again from a resident of the "other" Vancouver!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

• 1 year later...

I hve this pen and use it as a daily writer. I have several other Franklin-christoph pens. They are all well balanced and good value. I don't think they make any piston fillers so the ink volume is lower.

Nice review and a nice looking pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.