Review of guide line program Calligraphic II

Elaine

Review of Calligraphic II, by Callisoft.

With my new calligraphy obsession I’ve been searching for good guide sheets to copy. I’m way too lazy to draw them myself. I came upon a program by Callisoft that will set up any kind of guideline, including a number of pre-loaded shapes and any freeform shape. The program is free for a 30 day trial. To purchase costs $30.

I downloaded the program. The documentation with the program is poor which makes the learning curve a little steep. (Of course, it could just be me) There is an option to follow a guided guide sheet setup. This was very helpful to learn how to use the program. The user interface is a bit awkward. You have 3 small and 1 large window open. Sometimes you have to chase behind one to find another.

The general procedure is to enter the page size and orientation, the unit of measurement (mm, inch) line spacing, slope, pen angle and nib width. There are presets for several hands, and preset nib width for some popular nibs. Then you click on the shape (lots of options here - I haven’t explored this too much yet), or horizontal for straight lines. Then you click on a button and all the lines are filled in.

Features that I like, from the perspective of beginner in copperplate and chancery italic:

For italic, you can include lines for pen angle. This is super for the beginner who still needs reminders of how to hold the pen. You can mark the x spaces, and you can have the nib ladder print as well.

The line thickness is changeable so you can make them darker when using them as guidelines under your paper. They say you can print them with non-repro blue, but I haven’t figured out what color that is. If anyone knows the RGB value let me know.

Below is a sample of a large copperplate guide sheet without x mark or nib ladder, printed landscape. The second shows the x’s and nib ladder, printed portrait.

I love this program, I’m on day 17 of my 30 day trial. I plan on purchasing it. I can’t wait to play with the different shaped lines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/copperplate.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/italic.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elaine

• DennisU

• Anne-Sophie

• mgutman

So cool! I've been trying to coax copperplate guide sheets out of Excel with horrible results. Would you have a link or url to the software?

Thanks!! (Nice writing too!)

Edited by DennisU

This is outstanding! Many, many thanks. Just what I need.

There is an original version that costs $20 in addition to the $30 version. I've downloaded both and will try them with glee!!!

Elaine, I am very very envious of your hability to master two very different calligraphy styles.

Congrats!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks, Elaine. This is a great tool. I was planning to make guidelines in Cad but this is so much better! smile.gif

The spiral guidelines open up all new possibilities... drool.gif

Thanks again for sharing,

Mike

QUOTE (Anne-Sophie @ Mar 27 2007, 10:31 PM)
Elaine, I am very very envious of your hability to master two very different calligraphy styles.

Congrats!

blush.gif Thank you. Although I started working on copperplate a while ago, practiced for a bit, got impatient with guidelines so I started writing without. My writing suffered. Also I couldn't get the hang of dip pens. Nice flexy nibs were ok, but it was hard to control the snap back that was needed. I stopped practicing. I recently started with italic and practiced that alone for a bit. When I saw what dip pens could do (once I got the hang of them), I just had to get some copperplate nibs. So now I switch back and forth - but never both in the same day.

My next challenge is mastering gouache. Getting the right consistency. Not getting it all over the place. On the other hand, Higgins Eternal is quite nice unsure.gif

So many nice calligraphy samples here smile.gif

If you can, try a tube of Schimke Calligraphy Gouache, it has a lot of pigment, and produces a very satisfying color when thinned to the consistency of slightly runny cream. A bit pricey, but one tube goes a *long* way.

• 6 years later...

As far as I know, the developer stopped making this application a long time ago. It's useful, but needs some time to get used to, because of the user interface (IMHO). The possibilities it gives to make different shaped guidelines is great. I don't know if it works in newer versions of Windows, I've used it in XP back then.

Try this link, it seems to be working:

http://www.brothersoft.com/calli-graphic-ii-16086.html

Good luck

Vlada

"In vino veritas"

• 1 month later...

Note that Calligraphic II is now free at the site Vlada mentions, however there is now adware attached:

"100% Free Calli Graphic Ii Download

As an add-on to your applications, and completely free to you, Browser SafeGuard integrates with your operating system to protect you from browsing malicious sites. This is ad-supported software and you will see offers from some of our partners. You are not required to install any of these additional offers to complete your installation."

Does anyone have the program without the adware?

-- Ellen