CS Windsor LE

kaisede

Conway Stewart Windsor

When I first started to use and purchase fountain pens this pen had caught my eyes when some vender uses it as their link advertisement. This pen falls under “ WOW, this much be a nice pen” but too expansive to purchase.

Nib size: IB 18K gold

Cap Close: 5 ½ “ or 13.5 CM

Without Cap: 5 1/4” 13 CM

Cap posted: 7 “ or close to 18 CM

Filling system: Button fill.

Born on 1/23/2007. The certificate tells you what date it is made/ engraved.

Pen Number 45/100

My first impression

3/5

This pen was not as heavy and large as I was expecting. I have a Trafalgar, and in comparison with it I would say it is medium weight and about 1 cm shorter cap close. Personally I think if this pen was larger in size it would have been better to display off its engraving.

Nib

4.5/5

I have not fill this pen but I did dip it in Noodlers’ Forest Green and it writes really well.

Filling System

3.5/5

I never had owned a button fill system before so I didn’t know it has a small ink capacity. If I can order this pen again I would properly choose converter.

Weight and Comfort

4.5/5

It is not a heavy pen and since I don’t post when I write it is actually a light pen within my collection. It is well balance. This is a definitely a pen that is ready to be used for extend period of time of writing.

Price VS Value

This category is the most import one I look at because even though I do not collect fountain pens to sell but I do care about their workmanship and what do I get for the dollar I paid. Most places I called sell it between $1000 to $1100. At that price range I would say it lies right on the borderline between good buy and okay buy. Yes it is a limited edition pen and it is astonishing looking in the photo but it is just another Duro-Silver with engraving on it. I got it for $865 including shipping. Needless to say this pen is a great value for price I paid.

Final Words

Overall I think this pen is a great pen to have, it is a very beautiful pen. The engraving is very detail and smooth in appearance. The only complain I have is it should have been more substantial in size. Even through right now I am no longer in the market for another CS pen but if I find a good price I would get the 100 green with IF nib. Maybe the element water. I will try to post some pictures up when I get a chance.

(Subject to Update as time goes on)

Please share your opion,

Andy Huang

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• kaisede

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review Andy.I have admired this pen from afar for quite awhile.I saw one in person a few weeks back and was a wee bit disappointed in the size and weight(as you were).

The price kills me.Call me crazy,but i just cannot force myself to plunk down $800 to $1000 on a pen.Maybe $200-300.But thats the limit.Especially considering someone might sell a used one later for half of the price.

But it IS a beautiful pen and i would someday like to own one.The colours are a delight to the sight!

JD

Hi handlebar,

Especially considering someone might sell a used one later for half of the price.

Point taken, most of the time I dont like to buy an fountain pen used unless it is an antique. I just dont want to deal with bad ink flow etc... However, if the Windsor ball pen shows up on the market place :rolleyes:

Edited by kaisede

I think CS produce some very desirable and beautiful pens.Many companies do.But IMHO,some raise their prices so far out of reach it's no wonder they don't move well.There are exceptions to every rule though.And each person has a different opinion as to which pen is overpriced.

When a fountain pen moves into the "small SUV" class as to price,i just cannot understand that.(Not literally"cannot understand,of course").

JD