Omas 620 burgundy

handlebar

I have acquired an Omas Extra 620 fountain pen and wanted to share a short review.Thanks to other FPN members,i have obtained some information about it.This pen dates to about the 1980's,maybe early 90's.

I saw the set of both the 620 fountain pen and companion ballpoint for sale at a delicious price. I just could not resist!!

Here are a few of my personal observations:

Apperance/Finish--4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Omasset31-small.jpg

A classic style fountain pen.Omas have produced some amazing pens but sometimes simplicity is best.The usual Omas Greek key pattern band around the middle is the only real adornment on this pen other than the clip.I find this pattern one of the most beautiful on fountain pens today.

In my opinion,much more attractive than the newer gold bands imprinted with the Omas name.Of course,it has the Omas name imprinted on the side of the pen.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OFP21-small.jpg

Weight/size-4 out of 5

It is a smaller pen.And very light.Only 5-1/8" long when capped and a mere 1" round in diameter.Fits the hand rather nicely.Might be a bit too small for larger hands though.

A screw on cap as usual with well made pens.Capped it is 5-1/8" long and unposted it measures 4-5/8".Posted it measures out at 6-1/8".My hands are not very large but this pen is a very nice addition.

Nib and writing performance--4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/OFP11-small.jpg

Here ,of course,is where the test begins.The nib is a gold plated steel( i believe it is gold-not sure) Omas medium nib.On the smaller side,i wondered how it would do.Not bad at all.Not as smooth as i would like but then again i need to run a few fills of ink through it.This is a first impression.

This medium nib seems more like a fine point to me.

Here is a sample of how the nib performed with a mixture of Private Reserve Black Cherry and Chocolat.turned out a nice brownish red.Forgive the unadorned script.I really wanted to spend more time writing but was in too much of a hurry.Shame on me!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/ovid1-small.jpg

Filling/Ink system-5 out of 5

This pen uses a piston filler and holds quite a bit of ink for it's slim and diminutive size.i was impressed with it's capacity.It needed a bit of prompting to get flowing but once it started there was never another problem.The invisible cap blends in perfect.

Cost/value--5 out of 5

This was an easy one as i paid a little more than $50 for the pair.For an Omas like this i would gladly buy them all the time.I sometimes see Omas pens fetching very expensive prices on auction sites and know why:they are splendid pens!!!

The ball point really needs no review.It it a twist ballpoint and works very fine.My wife claimed this once the set arrived.I feel that the trade off was just fine for me!

To end the review,here is a shot with the pens under a flash unit and not by natural light.It gives a different perspective.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Omasset41-small.jpg

So if you happen to see any finding their way to your local shoppe or the online auction sites,consider them.Well worth the price.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• Dillo

• Maja

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the review of the Omas Extra; I have one myself (burgundy cap and turning knob, clear barrel) but I bought it secondhand (in almost mint condition, I'd say) a few years ago so I don't have the packaging with the model # on it. I think there is more than one model of Omas Extra (based on pics I've seen online), so it's good to know that mine is a "620"...

Anyway, I really like the nib on mine and would give it a 4.5/5 or even a 5/5. There is no scratchiness at all. Mind you, mine was secondhand so I don't know if the previous owner smoothed the nib. Still, I love using my Extra.....

Oh, and this is the same Extra that had its clear barrel permanently stained a light pink after I kept some PR Plum in it for a while. As I've said many times, I got lucky with my colour choice as the pink goes rather nicely with the burgundy colour of the cap and piston knob.... :rolleyes:

Hi,

Glad you found the model number. Yes, that nib is a gold-plated steel nib. In time, you will grow to like the fact that it is steel. That makes it really special. Omas steel nibs are fairly uncommon, but they write extremely well. According to Omas, very few pens after the 70s were made with steel nibs, like the 600 series pens. Most others had gold nibs.

The other name for this was the Omas Arte Italiana My First Omas Pen. It cost about $100 when it was new, a rather low price for an Omas pen. These are really nice pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Glad you found the model number. Yes, that nib is a gold-plated steel nib. In time, you will grow to like the fact that it is steel. That makes it really special. Omas steel nibs are fairly uncommon, but they write extremely well. According to Omas, very few pens after the 70s were made with steel nibs, like the 600 series pens. Most others had gold nibs.

The other name for this was the Omas Arte Italiana My First Omas Pen. It cost about $100 when it was new, a rather low price for an Omas pen. These are really nice pens.

Dillon

I agree Dillon with everything you have said.Very nice nib and the price was certainly right.It does seem inexpensive at $100.But they were marketing it to beginners it seems.I like the simplicity of the look and will keep an eye out for more of them.

I would love to get a hold of some older Omas catalogs.Never see them on ebay.

JD

Hi,

Italian pen information is terribly hard to find. :( Much of it was destroyed. :( It would be nice to find out though. I have to, in the meantime rely on my Italian pen friend for help.

BTW, I'm still enjoying the pen you sold me last year.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Italian pen information is terribly hard to find. :( Much of it was destroyed. :( It would be nice to find out though. I have to, in the meantime rely on my Italian pen friend for help.

BTW, I'm still enjoying the pen you sold me last year.

Dillon

I always think about that pen too!!It was such a beautiful pen.I wish it had been a larger size for me.Glad you are using it.I never see them up for sale.

I want an Arte Itailiana Celluloid eventually.When i win the lottery :lol:

JD

Hi,

:lol: One in the Paragon or Milord size would be a wonderful pen for you I think. :)

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

:lol: One in the Paragon or Milord size would be a wonderful pen for you I think. :)

Dillon

I agree.I have the Milord blue venice rollerball and it fits perfectly!!!The only thing stopping me from buying a similar in the fp is the price.I lost one on ebay last night by quite a bit.I wonder if Omas has any old catalogs or archives they would share??I doubt it.They are in business to make a profit,not to cater to collectors.Although i have become a member of their "society",i don't see any activity per se.They should have a forum if they want more activity.

JD

Hi,

Yes, like Pelikan has and hosts its own forum. :)

Their customer service is not very helpful in identifying old products, but they are VERY good in responding quickly.

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

I have plenty of bookmarks pertaining to Italian pens in my bookmarks list. My collection focus is Italian pens. Aside from that, we have a wonderfully large Italian community here in RI. :)

Dillon

Dillon

Handlebar,

I'm glad your ebay find went well. lovely pens and good review. Congrats

Will

• 3 months later...

I realize this is a relatively old thread, but in my search for more info on this particular model, I found this Omas 620 on eBay.

It amazes me that the Omas 620 once retailed (according to Dillo) for about $100 and that the Omas 620 set cost handlebar $50. This particular Omas 620 on eBay is nearly $500.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Wow!!!! That's simply amazing that the 620 is fetching such a high price.

If someone offered me that much for my set(Fp and ballpoint) i would sell straight away :P :P

I would even trade my 620 set for a Paragon or Milord.

JD

Wow :o .... that's a super-high closing price for a plastic, steel-nibbed pen Omas or not!!

I think I have one, but the Demonstrator version. Not sure what it's called, but the dimensions are exactly the same as that pen posted in the eBay auction, with the words "OMAS EXTRA ITALY" inscribed on the clear barrel and the gold-plated Greek key band on the cap. Mine came with a F nib. Got it last month, used but in near-mint condition, for US$73.00 from eBay with exactly the same box.

Shahrin :bunny01:

post-3206-1179458558_thumb.jpg

Nice pen Shahrin.The Omas Extra i have is resin as are all the Omas pens.Plastic is just too tacky a word .

:P

I like the round design but really prefer the 12-facet pens.They don't roll!!!

JD