Parker Sonnet Deep Blue GT

LapsangS

Appearance and design 9/10

Sonnet is a standard sized Parker, cartridge/converter-filler that was launched by Parker in 1993 and has been produced in many different colours and finishes. The pens are nowadays made in France. Cheaper ones have steel nibs and the pricier ones are equipped with an 18 karat solid gold nib. The steel nibs tend to be springier than the golden ones. Surprise surprise! Parker nibs tend to be on the broader size of the spectrum, so you should generally get an extra-fine if you normally use fine.

This Sonnet Deep Blue GT is not listed in the current Parker online catalogue, so my guess is that they have been replaced by the Ocean Blue colour. The old colours were definitely better than the new ones, IMHO. (I liked especially the Moonbeam lacquer finish.)

The pen has nice weight but it is not too heavy for a small hand nor too small for a big hand. (I have a very large hand and generally prefer oversized pens like the Wality eyedroppers.) The cap is click-on type with a secure but not overtight snap. Parker ships Sonnets in their hinged deluxe presentation box that is really heavy. It must weight at least half a kilo! A complimentary ink cartridge of Quink Washable blue comes in the box. A Parker piston converter is also included in the price. It loads a decent amount of ink but of course it can't compete with a Pelikan piston filler or Wality eyedropper.

Writing 9/10

The nib is stamped F, but writes more like Medium. I like this size as Parker medium tends to be too broad for me. All Parkers that I have ever tried have been smooth, almost toothless. And this nib continues the same policy that Parker has: "Make them as butter-smooth as possible". The nib is 18-karat dual tone nib, very handsome and in line with the general design. The washable blue ink works very well in my Frontier flighter but here when using finer nib it felt a bit too light-coloured. There was, however, no skipping or other problems with performance. Using the right ink, this baby will work. And one final word: If your Sonnet is too dry or bad starter, there might be some ventilation holes in the cap to prevent accidental suffocation of children. These are required by the EU legistlators but can be sealed using some candle wax. I have not personally experienced these problems but I hear your mileage may vary.

Price: £51 GBP including shipment at fleabay

post-34-1159384885_thumb.jpg

Edited by LapsangS

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LapsangS

• TMann

• FLZapped

• kissing

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the nice review!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Hey there! Nice review. My current favorite pen is a black/gold Sonnet with an italic nib. It's the perfect size for me. Small, but solid. :D

TMann

I was thinking of writing a Sonnet review, as there wasn't one before - but thanks for doing it for me :lol:

You've done a great job on a contraversial pen (but I love it).

re: candlewaxing the cap

I have done this on my Sonnet (and my father's) and now the nibs never dry out or suffer from ink colouration due to evaporation.

Aaah, I just gave up the chance to try a Sonnet. Today, I bought a Waterman Phileas over the Sonnet, and I'm not sure I regret it because, honestly, I haven't had much luck with Parker pens.

Is it just me, or do they seem to clog a lot more often than your other pens? Have you had the same problems with the more modern models?

...or suffer from ink colouration due to evaporation.

Ahh...is that what it is? I had been wondering why the Waterman Florida Blue ink in my Sonnet was always a different shade. Whenever I first start writing, the color is pretty dark. Then as the ink continues flowing, it gets a bit lighter. Hmm...I guess that I need to go try the candlewax trick. Anyone have a link handy that explains how to go about doing this? As I recall, there was a whole thread about candlewax and Sonnet caps here on FPN...

TMann

I gave my fountain pen loving wife a Chisseled Tartan GT because I wanted her a have a pretty pen and she loves it. I have yet to write one word with it and she's had it several months. She is becoming a Parker girl having once been a Sheaffer devotee. She only carries Parkers with her now. She uses a Reflex at work and carries the Tartan GT Sonnet and a "51" with her journal.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

An 18 kt nib pen like Sonnet would be too expensive for me to carry around so I use a Frontier Flighter in my workplace and Sonnet only at home. Parker Frontier is a little fatter pen than Sonnet so it suits my hand a bit better than Sonnet. But I like both pens very much. Frontier medium is a bit TOO wet for me. Although I DO like wet... :unsure:

...or suffer from ink colouration due to evaporation.

Ahh...is that what it is? I had been wondering why the Waterman Florida Blue ink in my Sonnet was always a different shade. Whenever I first start writing, the color is pretty dark. Then as the ink continues flowing, it gets a bit lighter. Hmm...I guess that I need to go try the candlewax trick. Anyone have a link handy that explains how to go about doing this? As I recall, there was a whole thread about candlewax and Sonnet caps here on FPN...

TMann

Hi TMann,

Here is an FPN thread from May 2005 entitled "Plugging holes in a Sonnet". I think it may help :lol:

LapsangS,

thank you for the nice review. I found my factory M Sonnet nib wasn't very exciting so I got a nib exchange for a factory M italic, and I love it! I do find it's rather wide for an M italic, but it's perfect for me... :)9

I was *this* close to selling the pen (it's a black lacquer Sonnet with 18K nib) but I am so glad I got the nib exchanged for something I really enjoy using...

I use a Frontier Flighter in my workplace and Sonnet only at home.

Funny, I just popped for a Sonnet Flighter and a Frontier Flighter deal. Maybe I will do a review of the two along with my recently purchased, but still not inked, Waterman Phileas. Also relate them to my best current writers, a Hero 100 and Parker 75, and my second best, a Parker 51. Ooooh, there's that ringing in my ear again ... aliens must be communicating ... where's my tin foil hat? ... oooohhh, groan, too late ... uuuhhhhh ... Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, Parker 51 is the best, ............................

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Nihonto Chicken

As with waxing Sonnet caps...there is more than one way to skin a cat (is that how the saying goes? :huh:)

It's quite a messy, trial and error process, but the method I use is...

I make a small "pool" of melted candlewax, with a depth enough to immerse the cap down to where the 'clip vent' is. What I did was, got a tin cap off a metal bottle, put some candle wax into it and heated the wax in the cap with a lighter. Took a while for the wax to melt, but once I had the 'pool' of wax, I just dunked the Sonnet cap (top of the cap) into it and pulled it out. After that, I would carefully remove the excess bits of wax (might require some 'squishing' using the fingers).

The last bit is the hardest bit to get right, because its often hard to remove the excess wax without taking away the wax covering the vents as well o_0

I test it by dunking the top of the cap in a small bowl of water and then blowing into it (and if it's not entirely sealed, you will see air bubbles coming out where the opening is, which you can then seal).

Hope it helps...it may take a few trials, and since there is no 'perfect' method, feel free to incorporate your own ideas into the method.

Ever since I sealed my Sonnet, and my father's Sonnet - I haven't experienced any drying out or skipping problems ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review! I have two Parker Sonnets, one in black laque finish with a rhodium plated 18K Broad nib, and one in a blasted steel finish with chrome trim and a Medium nib. Nice pens both of them, the steel one being my daily writer. I like the silky appearance of the steel version. It gives a modern, 'techy' appearance to what is otherwise a very traditionally styled pen.

Sonnets are nice pens. They are nicely made and well finished, giving a real impression of quality not always found in Parker's cheaper offerings. I recently looked at a Parker Latitude, which didn't really impress me in the quality department, even though there is only a few pounds price difference between it and the lower end Sonnets.

The Sonnet is a nice size too, quite compact, and good to hold. All in all, a nice pen.

• 4 months later...

I got myself a Sonnet to use as an everyday pen.

I was deeply disapointed. The "fine" nib was more like a medium and the ink flow was terrible. only about every second letter actually worked.

I went back to the shop and managed to get the nib changed for an extra fine. It was slightly narrower but still pretty wide. The ink flow of this one was just as bad. I've been using it for close to a year now and it's still as bad as when I got it.

I don't know if I've been extremely unlucky or if I just had too high expectations.

I also have a Duofold Centennial that writes like a dream. A nice even flow from the first letter.

I'd advise any Sonnet buyer to test the pen properly before buying one.

QUOTE (kissing @ Sep 28 2006, 11:47 PM)
As with waxing Sonnet caps...there is more than one way to skin a cat (is that how the saying goes? huh.gif)

I make a small "pool" of melted candlewax, with a depth enough to immerse the cap down to where the 'clip vent' is. What I did was, got a tin cap off a metal bottle, put some candle wax into it and heated the wax in the cap with a lighter. Took a while for the wax to melt, but once I had the 'pool' of wax, I just dunked the Sonnet cap (top of the cap) into it and pulled it out. After that, I would carefully remove the excess bits of wax (might require some 'squishing' using the fingers).

The last bit is the hardest bit to get right, because its often hard to remove the excess wax without taking away the wax covering the vents as well o_0

I test it by dunking the top of the cap in a small bowl of water and then blowing into it (and if it's not entirely sealed, you will see air bubbles coming out where the opening is, which you can then seal).

Hope it helps...it may take a few trials, and since there is no 'perfect' method, feel free to incorporate your own ideas into the method.

Ever since I sealed my Sonnet, and my father's Sonnet - I haven't experienced any drying out or skipping problems wink.gif

Oh how you're gonna incur the wrath of Richard again.

He has maintained that if you have this problem, it is a cracked inner cap and you should get it replaced by Parker. A manufacturing defect from using too much pressure on the rivet.

-Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just been brought a Parker Sonnet Tartan, with Broad Nib, I like fat wet nibs, is this going to be far too wide?

How wide are we talking?

Cheers Ash

• 10 months later...
As with waxing Sonnet caps...there is more than one way to skin a cat (is that how the saying goes? :huh:)

Ever since I sealed my Sonnet, and my father's Sonnet - I haven't experienced any drying out or skipping problems ;)

Oh how you're gonna incur the wrath of Richard again.

He has maintained that if you have this problem, it is a cracked inner cap and you should get it replaced by Parker. A manufacturing defect from using too much pressure on the rivet.

-Bruce

Correct me if I'm wrong:

There is a recent British standard aimed at preventing a child's suffocation should a fountain pen's cap be placed in their mouth. Thus no fountain pen cap can be totally closed at the clip as a point of legality. Try reading here and etc.

http://healthsafetyexecutive.blogspot.com/...internally.html

I have several Sonnets and they ALL pass air at a great rate. This practically guarantees that the nib will dry out in a few days if not used.

The wax method sounds okay.

The entire thing is a joke!!!

Ted

Correct me if I'm wrong:

There is a recent British standard aimed at preventing a child's suffocation should a fountain pen's cap be placed in their mouth. Thus no fountain pen cap can be totally closed at the clip as a point of legality.

Sorry, but you are wrong. All the standard says is that children's writing instruments should not have a totally closed cap. Pens which are not intended for children are exempt.

Given the fact that small children do have a tendency to put things in their mouth and some have died choking on pen caps, I don't really have a problem with this particular piece of legislation.

Furthermore, you are perfectly at liberty to give your child an Edson cap to suck on, all Waterman are doing is covering their backs should you try to sue them afterwards.

This is a EU standard since the mid 80's. Probably US, too. We all remenber the closed and the tipped off Bic caps, don't we? The exception are the pens non iamed to children, such as high end fountain pens, but even those must have a breathe system related to the clip. Correct me if I'm wrong...