Noodlers La Couler Royale

TheNobleSavage

Another nice dark purple but nothing that drastically seperates it from other purples.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5205/noodlerslacoulerroyale1mu.jpg

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• TheNobleSavage

• sharpclaw

• Titivillus

Just how many bottles of ink did you win there? ;)

This is another one I was anxious to see. I too think it looks a lot like the Iraqi Indigo. Several people had said this was a favourite, but I'm unconvinced. It's a nice colour, but it lacks pizzazz or something. Maybe it's one that grows on you (no pun intended) with use.

Never lie to your dog.

Just how many bottles of ink did you win there? ;)

This is another one I was anxious to see. I too think it looks a lot like the Iraqi Indigo. Several people had said this was a favourite, but I'm unconvinced. It's a nice colour, but it lacks pizzazz or something. Maybe it's one that grows on you (no pun intended) with use.

Its a nice Dark Purple, flows nice and it doesnt seem to stain as bad as the Waterman violet. Its very nice, dont get me wrong but I agree with you, it really doesnt stand out from other typical purple inks

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Guest Denis Richard

It's a lovely color. I personally add a touch of Noodler's black to it, and that makes it a much richer purple. It's loaded in a few pens.

I took a break from Noodler's for a while, because I did not like the way it seems to always want to crawl on the top of the nib. I'm over it now, and I have to say the feather-proof aspect makes it worth it.

I also blame you NS, and the other Noodler reviewers/commenters of the past two days for pushing me to order 4 bottles ! :lol:

Denis.

:lol: :lol: Didnt I tell you that I work for Nathan??? thats why my reviews leans in favor towards Noodlers inks!!! BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY, the subliminal messages. J/K!!! :lol: :lol:

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hi NS,

Nice one, again...

I like this "Royal Colour", especially in the Onoto "Royal Crown". Here is a writing sample, next to Legal Blue/Lapis (I did post these on PT before, but I guess you don't mind :D ):

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/ws-onotos6.jpg

And this is the pen I am talking about (notice the purple pen "jewel", inside the crown:

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/Onoto%20Royal%20Crown%20600.jpg

And another sample, against cayenne :D :

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/halloween/Halloween%20writings%20002%20800.jpg

What I like about this ink, is the fact that it shades rather nicely, despite being such a dark ink. You do need a flex nib or sharp italic for it to show nicely, though. So, I do think this ink has a lot of character, maybe not with a standard nib, but then, it is a very dark purple... :D

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Guest Denis Richard

See, we might have a batch issue here again, as the "La Couleur Royale" I have is not dark at all. Very purple.

Hmm,

Mine does look very purple to me, the real sample that is. Very dark, but purple nonetheless. It is the darkest purple I have come across so far, even darker than my own mix. Just that the latter just closes up if I make it even darker, which is why I prefer the Noodler's ink over my own mix.

It does seem to have some black undertones in it, though. So you say yours doesn't have that?

TIA,

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Guest Denis Richard

No black undertones that I see in mine. I think I got that bottle pretty early, when the color came out. May be some fine tuning was done since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like La Couleur Royale for its deep bluish purple. I'm very fond of Private Reserve Plum and Noodler's Saguaro Wine, but these are very red purples. The bluer cast of the royal color makes the ink more suitable for a wider variety of uses, including business uses for which I would not use Plum or Saguaro Wine like colors, or even a more lavender or grape purple like Waterman Purple or Noodler's Purple Martin. While the color is not as striking and stand out as some other Noodler's colors, I find it looks really good with my medium pelican nib and because of its darkness, suitable for writing out faxes as well as signing correspondence.

When I recently switched my Pelikan 200 to La Couleur Royale, I noticed again how the ink has some rather nice shading qualities as well.

Below are two samples on two different papers.

http://www.winternet.com/~mchristi/LCRoyale1.jpg

http://www.winternet.com/~mchristi/LCRoyale2.jpg

Mark C.

Edited by mchristi

Another nice dark purple but nothing that drastically seperates it from other purples.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5205/noodlerslacoulerroyale1mu.jpg

Take a look at Pelikan Royal Blue as well. In a wet writer the purple stands out!

B)

Hi Mark,

I really like La Couleur Royale for its deep bluish purple.
Which is why it is a true royal colour, IMO...

I'm very fond of Private Reserve Plum and Noodler's Saguaro Wine, but these are very red purples. The bluer cast of the royal color makes the ink more suitable for a wider variety of uses, including business uses for which I would not use Plum or Saguaro Wine like colors, or even a more lavender or grape purple like Waterman Purple or Noodler's Purple Martin.
I agree with you here. It is not so violently purple that you can't use it for normal work, not even in a dryish writer like a Pelikan.

While the color is not as striking and stand out as some other Noodler's colors, I find it looks really good with my medium pelican nib and because of its darkness, suitable for writing out faxes as well as signing correspondence.
Agreed, I use it with my Pelikan M800, slightly sharpended OM nib, too, funnily enough :D .

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Kurt,

Take a look at Pelikan Royal Blue as well. In a wet writer the purple stands out!
I find it blue more than purple Kurt, and I tried it in different pens, from wet writers to dry ones, and in between too.

If you like a true Royal "Blue" I'd suggest to try out La Couleur Royale. It really is a great colour!

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 3 years later...

I don't think it is a straight purple; at first I thought it was but I notice more of its blue tones the more I use it. Now I think its somewhere between blue and purple. I think its darkness is great.

I am not nearly a grammarian like Conan, but it seems to me that if we are going to be fussy about pens, inks and paper, we should be fussy about what we put on them. "Loose" is supposed to be "lose" (loose pants are quite different from lost pants), and "separate" is the way it's spelled.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know whether Noodler's La Couleur Royale ink is bulletproof? I found one store that said it is and another that said it is not.

It isn't bulletproof, but Noodlers did come out with a bulletproof purplish ink called La Reine Mauve which Nathan considers to be a royal purple and follows in the theme of La Couleur Royale in relating to French royalty.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

It isn't bulletproof, but Noodlers did come out with a bulletproof purplish ink called La Reine Mauve which Nathan considers to be a royal purple and follows in the theme of La Couleur Royale in relating to French royalty.

Good to know about La Couleur Royale; thank you.

A bottle of La Reine Mauve is heading towards me in the mail now and I am looking forward to it, but I was hoping to also get a bluer bulletproof purple -- the Iraq Indigo a.k.a. Violet Vote not currently available through its exclusive dealer -- and thought La Couleur Royale might make a sufficient substitute. I can just wait until Pendemonium restocks instead.

Good to know about La Couleur Royale; thank you.

A bottle of La Reine Mauve is heading towards me in the mail now and I am looking forward to it, but I was hoping to also get a bluer bulletproof purple -- the Iraq Indigo a.k.a. Violet Vote not currently available through its exclusive dealer -- and thought La Couleur Royale might make a sufficient substitute. I can just wait until Pendemonium restocks instead.

I recently went from LCR to VV simply because the VV is bulletproof.

In a Lamy Accent (F), LCR was great -- dark, quick-drying and fine. In the same pen on the same papers, although VV is quick-drying, it's light, and more medium than fine.

Not that VV's a bad colour per se, but it is very different to LCR. For me, bulletproof LCR would be almost perfect in that pen.

D.

• 2 weeks later...