• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• KCat

• southpaw

• Mannenhitsu

I was wondering how you came across so many inks! Have you been having an inking party with your pens too?

I'm not generally fond of blues. This looks like a nice one, but I don't know if it has much character (shading). It seems very bright though. You're kind of pushing me towards Diamine you know. ;)

Never lie to your dog.

I was wondering how you came across so many inks! Have you been having an inking party with your pens too?

I'm not generally fond of blues. This looks like a nice one, but I don't know if it has much character (shading). It seems very bright though. You're kind of pushing me towards Diamine you know. ;)

nah, I won a huge lot of inks on Ebay for dirt cheap, about 8 bottles of noodlers and about the same number of Diamine inks. I buy a bottle here and there but I dont spend hundreds of dollars on one purchese. I seem to get good deals on the discontinued or discounted inks that are not particularly popular. I also get good deals on inks that have already been opened and inked a few times. My pens seem to get a healthy variety of inks

As of lately, I really have been using a lot of Diamine inks. The older parker pens that I have are usually very fickle when it comes to the kind of ink that I use. A steady diet of Parker Quink is what they prefer until I was introduced to Diamine inks. Diamine seems to flow rather well through my vintage inks, infact just as well as Quink. I think that who ever created the formula for these inks had vintage pens in mind. This ink flows very well in Vintage and Modern pens. the inks are not highly saturated like Noodlers and Private Reserve. I tend to have problems with my vintage pens using Noodlers and Provate reserve. They dont get clogged but the ink flow becomes extremely slow to the point where it affects my writing,

Diamine is a good all around ink that has a well diverse line of inks of course not as larger as noodlers or PR but I think they were well thought out and are very selective on the colors. This is good stuff, the only drawback is the price. It is a bit high, but you get what you pay for.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

You beat me to this one, NS. I was going to do a review this evening. One of the things I find interesting about this ink is the way it can also kind of look like it's coolly floating on the page (at least when I use it on Rhodia paper). I've had some difficulty with bleeding on cheap paper (or maybe it was the pen, not sure), but it is a very beautiful and refreshing blue on good quality paper.

Mark C.

You beat me to this one, NS. I was going to do a review this evening. One of the things I find interesting about this ink is the way it can also kind of look like it's coolly floating on the page (at least when I use it on Rhodia paper). I've had some difficulty with bleeding on cheap paper (or maybe it was the pen, not sure), but it is a very beautiful and refreshing blue on good quality paper.

Mark C.

Like I told No Snow, If you have a review of the same ink, Please post it. Scanners vary from model to model. Plus it is good to hear from people with different opinions. Just because it was posted already, it doesnt mean that you cannot add to it or post a new review

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Mark,

I agree with NS. It is always nice to see several samples of the same ink done by different people with different pens. It tends to give a better idea of the colour spread that can be attained with a particular ink, and allows you to make a better decision in purchasing an ink. Being shown a range essentially gives you less of a surprise when an ink arrives in the mail, at least you know between wich colour bands the ink is going to be.

Also, different nibs and pen combinations give different thicknesses of lines and ink laid down, and may show you the shading characteristics, and so on.

So please, do post your review and exemplar!

TIA,

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Here's a sample of Diamine Tropical Blue written with a Pelikan 140.

Unfortunately, I don't think the photo really captures the beauty of the ink, especially its luminance and the way the cool refreshing color almost floats on the page. I also notice that there are a few places where the camera saturated a bit, especially in the darker areas of shading. The ink has a nice shading quality, but one more of intensity of color than differences in color, at least to my eye. The ink also has greater contrast on the page than appears in the photo, but boosting that distorted the color too much.

My experience with the ink so far (I've only used it in this one pen) is that it's a better ink for higher quality paper. Cheaper paper tended to have enough bleeding and feathering that the shading of both the ink and the semi-flex nib was lost or obscured and the color became flatter looking. But on good paper, it's beautiful.

Mark C.

http://www.winternet.com/~mchristi/tropblue.jpg

Oh my. More Blues to consider.

BTW I recognized the quote on the first line; I've read, and reread, and re-reread, and re....reread The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings so many time that I've lost count.

:eureka: Maybe I'll buy some of this ink together with a new Pelikan. :drool: :drool:

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Hi Mark,

Now, your exemplar is a nice example of th reason why I like to see several samples of the same ink, from different people and pens. It gives you a better idea of the variation you can encounter. It is just great.

Thank you for posting!

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 months later...

I just received my new package of Noodler ink from Pendemium together with Tropical Blue. In fact, the sole reason of ordering ink from the States was the fact, that Tropical Blue is only available overseas.

Well, it was well worth it.

This is by far the most gorgeous ink I have ever seen.

It is everything what Omas Blue is not, and everything that Diamine Steel Blue I was hoping to be, but it turned way to green. Funny, even Otoman Azzure that I have received today is strangly greenish.

Tropical Blue is nice, bright blue. Just like I was hoping to be.

:eureka:

Thanks to TNS and Mark for reviewing this ink!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 weeks later...

You know, looking at this colour in the sweltering summer heat makes me think it might be a great colour to use in the summer. I think I will put it on my list. I guess basically I should just accumulate all of the Diamine colours there are. :P

Never lie to your dog.

You know, looking at this colour in the sweltering summer heat makes me think it might be a great colour to use in the summer. I think I will put it on my list. I guess basically I should just accumulate all of the Diamine colours there are. :P

You know? It's getting so I almost hate to read ink reviews. (just kidding) But, seriously, at any given time I think I might like any given ink! This is crazy! :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

This ink is by far the best shade of blue I have seen so far. I am going to have to order a bottle to test drive it for myself. Thank you for posting the review here.

Edited by Mannenhitsu

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

curious - have you tried PR Naples Blue, NS? If so, how would you compare Tropical Blue to that color. I was into Naples for a while - it's sort of a turquiose but much brighter and more intense than most turquoise inks. Just wondering. Looks like TB may be a bit bluer and a tad lighter?

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I can't believe I love this shade of blue so much that I ordered four bottles today from Sam and Pendemonium. :rolleyes:

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 2 years later...
mmm...got to get me some of these...

Good luck. Diamine Tropical was an LE ink and is no longer manufactured. I've been told PR Tropical Blue is a dead ringer for it but my sample did not bear that out. PR's version is more saturated and slightly darker. Diamine Mediterranean Blue is close, but not exactly right, either.

Lots of folks love the original. Shame it had to be an LE.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Lots of folks love the original. Shame it had to be an LE.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: two bottles, here.

Nice to know about the PR remake's result, thanks.