Namiki Vanishing Point

PinarelloOnly

This review for some might be just another meaningless take on the Namiki VP unless you understand the VP

and that you do not need to spend $300 for a world class fountain pen. If you are not a fan of the VP just

move along then nothing to see…..

http://fototime.com/%7B23B28996-9C01-490E-87B5-758F76021368%7D/origpict/IMGP0974.jpg

What amazes me, is how not so popular this Chrome version is. This pen is very pretty and I think one of the

best looking out of the whole VP line. When you hold it in your hand you notice immediately the subtle

sparkles in the finish; most pics on the web do not convey this and this pen is hard to photograph.

http://fototime.com/%7B45FEE5ED-817C-4570-8B7B-68A6E2FE29A6%7D/origpict/IMGP1695.jpg

Like the “Chrome” the “Gun Metal Gray” has a metallic flake which is just as beautiful as the Chrome.

My wife was so drawn to the Gun Metal Gray she is now the owner of it. Sorry, the first pic above is the only

one I have of the Gun Metal Gray VP before my wife confiscated it. I took full ownership of her Van Gogh Midi

in return!!!!!

My Blue Carbonesque may have wear marks, dents and fine scratches on the chrome trim from years of abuse but

the lacquer finish is as good as the day it was new. I can attest that the hard lacquer finish on these pens

does last for many, many years. After owning my Blue Carbonesque for over 10 years now I have to say I am not

bored with it but looking at the Black Carbonesque the pen is beautiful and the contrast of the silver faux

carbon highlights in the finish against the black paint is outstanding.

http://fototime.com/%7BB97D5316-DEC1-4752-B5BF-4A82D055684B%7D/origpict/IMGP0971.jpg

I could not choose between these two so I bought both at the same time from Pam Braun!!

http://fototime.com/%7B2C045D2F-1D43-4192-B465-6B03CC9FA65C%7D/origpict/IMGP1691.jpg

http://fototime.com/%7BD39C64A0-0EE5-479D-A4CC-6FE4489A9C08%7D/origpict/IMGP1699.jpg

The Pilot made VP “fine” nibs on these pens can be compared to the factory extra fines of other manufacturers.

I can attest that the VP fine has a similar line width on the down stroke compared to my past ownership of a

Sailor PG XF and Aurora Talentum XF. I have found Aurora inks to add a touch of wetness (which I like) and a

bit more smoothness to these nibs. Waterman Florida Blue is also a great ink for these VP’s with similar

attributes of the Aurora ink. The supplied Pilot ink cartridge writes on the dry side for my taste, most

noticeable being more “feedback” on the side strokes with the Pilot ink.

http://fototime.com/%7B7A1727C7-5E07-4525-926A-4A0BEE0AE2D8%7D/origpict/IMGP1703.jpg

Can anyone remember when the replacement nib unit was $19? I can and it wasn’t that long ago. Buying a

replacement nib unit for around $56 these days is still not that bad but it’s around a third of the price

of a new VP.

My observation of the Namiki Vanishing Point as a 10+ year user:

-Outstanding price/performance for a pen that comes with a solid gold nib, which includes consistent nib quality.

-Excellent out of the box performance. All of my VP’s (both new and older) wrote flawless right from the start with no flow,

mechanical or cosmetic issues anywhere.

-Vanishing Points can be considered a pen that is standing the test of time in design, performance and function.

-Attributed to the function and attractiveness of the “Capless system” the Namiki Vanishing Point is one of the most purchased

fountain pens by non-fountain pen types. Also, many, myself included, owe the VP to their start of fountain pens.

My Pilot/Namiki line up flanked by a couple of Italians.

http://fototime.com/%7BAC4DE47B-740B-40D0-A84C-3F8B08ACD70C%7D/origpict/IMGP1687.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PinarelloOnly

• alvarez57

• misterh

• pauliedoggs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really liked the review, love the Pictures. Iis there a chance we can see the Nib extended?

Maybe, when I take pics of some comparison writing samples.

Do you mean the nib itself extended out of the body close up or a whole body shot with the nib extended?

that case looks very exclusive, thanks for all the pics

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Terrific review of these pens. I received my brand new Black Carbonesque and Blue Carbonesque just yesterday and I love them already. I didn't think I'd like this pen, but I was compleltely surprised by how nice it is. They write like a dream and feel like a much more expensive pen. I'm sorry now that I didn't try them sooner. My next purchase will be the Nakimi Bamboo and I'm looking forward to loving that as well. I am also thinking about getting another VP but haven't decided on the color yet.

These photos are cruelly, insanely good! I love my blue carbonesque, but you make me feel that I need to have the same three as you have! Lovely, lovely, lovely! The blue, mirroring background brings out the best in your VPs! Thanks for making me smile by sheer pleasure to look at your photos. And - yes, I like the text too! :)

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Thanks for review and great photos.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

You know I think I might have to head over to the favorite color poll and change my vote from Ice Blue to Gun Metal Grey.

Has: Lamy Safari M, Lamy Studio Steel F, Lamy 2000 F, Ice Blue Pilot Capless M, Lamy AL-star, TWSBI 540

Wants: Pelikan M1000 or perhaps M800, Parker Duofold Centennial, Gold M for Studio, Lamy 2000 M, Visconti Homo Sapiens, some Kawecos and Rotrings

Great photos. You've definitely got some nice talent there. :)

Yeah, the nib units used to be had for $29.99 on "that auction site", shipping not included. But then Pilot raised the price of their nib units, unfortunately by about 40%! I guess you can't blame them... the cost of gold has gone up continually. And manufacturing is not getting any cheaper... got to keep up with the cost of living. As a result, folks who customize these pen nibs have raised their prices, by around 40% as well. :(

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Nice, I really like mine although it's not the best for note-taking. I think a finer nib would be a bit stiffer thus better for writing than this really wet M...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Do you mean the nib itself extended out of the body close up or a whole body shot with the nib extended?

Why not both. B) Any chance I get to see more of your pictures, and/or these pens is fine by me.

-Alan

Thank you all for your nice comments.

To those of you who PM'd me I will reply to you sooner or later today, if I

haven't got to you yet.

Thanks.

Nice, I really like mine although it's not the best for note-taking. I think a finer nib would be a bit stiffer thus better for writing than this really wet M...

The nibs have a wee bit of flex, but the F writes like a 0.5mm, which is good for writing on lecture pads.

I think it is one of those pens that you, keep thinking about getting. You get It, yes you like :hmm1: it no you don't :unsure: suddenly it's one of your best pens