Lamy Logo

imakeartwork

First Impressions -

This is my first fountain pen and I was pretty psyched to order it. Having been fairly particular about writing instruments in the past (only using Zebra ballpoints or black Papermate pens, only using Faber-Castell pencils), I decided it would be a great benefit to purchase a sturdy and reliable fountain pen. This pen was purchased mainly for note taking in my undergraduate courses.

The pen was shipped in a slim, grey plastic case which opened into halves, raising the pen to a display position. The underside of the case carried a small booklet, detailing the construction & disassembly of various Lamy pens. The case also contained, next to the pen, one black ink cartridge.

Upon first inspecting the pen I was impressed by the contrast in the polished accents against the brushed cap, barrel, and section. The pen felt sturdy and light in the hand. Immediately, I knew i had made a good purchase.

Appearance & Design - 5.4/10

This pen features a simple, modern design, with a brushed steel body and polished steel highlights on the grip, clip, the base and the end of the cap. The subtle contrast between the two finishes are very appealing and professional looking. With the cap posted, each end of the pen has a small amount of black plastic: on the feed, and on the end of the cap. Altogether the pen looks more reliable and durable than elegant or impressive. The incorporation of design elements into a functional grip is also a nice touch.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/4205584440_e1b0ab7052_o.jpg

Construction & Quality - 4.0/10

The pen feels firm even with its light weight. The cap posts securely on to a spring-like barrel end. The clip is spring action with a fair amount of play, and the end of the clip has a steel bearing ball to help it glide over a pocket of carrying sleeve. The tip of the cap has a slight design flaw. Where the clip is folded together to form one solid oval shape, the two ends don't meet and it looks a little unfinished. Another problem comes from the brushed finish not being very durable. After setting the pen on a hard surface enough times, small scuff lines began to appear next to the clip on either side. The barrel unscrews with 3.5 turns and feels secure. However, there is a small visible seam between the barrel and the section that could have been avoided by making the barrel 1 mm longer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2524/4204824985_5f7ea04d1b_o.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/4204824887_7093a3a1e8_o.jpg

Weight & Dimensions - 9.2/10

Length : Capped - 5 1/4", Uncapped - 4 5/8", Posted - 6 7/16".

Width - 3/8"

Circumference - 1.18" ( the circumference remains constant between the barrel and section )

This pen is thinner than most fountain pens and fits my hand well (my ideal glove size is between medium and large). I prefer to use the pen unposted, which feels perfectly balanced. When the cap is posted, the change in weight distribution offers a slight pressure up the page, which is enjoyable at times. With the cap securely in place, the pen is light and balanced enough to quickly spin around the outside of my thumb and land in the crotch of my hand. It's small size and cylindrical shape was a key selling point for me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/4205583138_d9149edb49_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2615/4205583250_8bdb202901_o.jpg

Nib & Performance - 5.0/10

I purchased the pen with Lay's standard Fine steel nib, from the available Fine, Medium, and Broad sizes. It writes smoothly on most cheap notebooks, with just a little bit of resistance and scratchiness that provides a small amount of tactile feedback. I dread using this pen on cheap copier paper which the nib scratches and pours ink into. Starting can be dry if its left uncapped for a few minutes, but is never a problem when freshly uncapped. I really appreciate the flow and wouldn't describe it as either too dry or to wet.

The line is thin. Just what i would expect for a thin rated fountain pen nib. If i have to write extra small to add in an annotation I'll use the top side of the nib to get a microscopic line. I have experienced a little bit of nib creep, but it hasn't been troublesome. Overall this pen has performed reliably and enjoyably.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2732/4204825367_ba69139523_o.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance - 5.0/10

The pen uses the Lamy Z26 piston converter and Lamy cartridges. Its easy to remove the barrel and refills are accomplished quickly. The converter fills 90% of the time on the first shot (also, 60% of the time, it works every time). The plunger is a little choppy feeling when turning the dial, which could interrupt your steady hand while refilling. The ink chamber fills most of the area of the barrel so I feel confident that there will be no leaks due to a loose converter. The simple construction and slide on nib makes this pen very easy to dissemble and clean. Overall, the filling system is nothing special, and it gets the job done.

Cost & Value - 6.5/10

I purchased this pen from redfingerprint.com for $32.00 USD. LamyUSA.com lists the pen at $50.00. This pen definitely has the highest Value/Price ratio of any writing instrument I've used before. Though, i haven't used other fountain pens. While this pen does not feature any expensive or lustrous materials, I find value in it's fit for me. At my current budget, a low cost, durable pen has a greater value than a collectors piece or a higher rated model with a gold nib.

Conclusion - 5.85/10

Overall, I regard this pen as a great buy. Its never given me a problem and is a sturdy writer that i wouldn't worry about if it's lost or broken. I enjoy using this pen everyday and I fill it with ink about 2 times a week (that's pages and pages of lecture notes!). This simple, slim pen hasn't let me down yet. For a low cost pen, it is refined and stylish.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/4205613170_6b84613574_o.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Cyclopentadiene

• Matsa_P

• reuvenmarc

Thanks for the clear and forthright review.

I've acquired a Safari recently and I believe it uses the same nib as this one. I am loving it!

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Tough grader!

A very thorough and detailed review, with photos that demonstrate the point you're making.

Any pen that you grade out at 8 or above will be a keeper!

gary

I first thought the subject was Lamy's logo. Huh. (Why would one review the logo of a brand? It's the low blood sugar I guess. :) ) Nice pen BTW.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

Thank you for this first review, imakeartwork. You clearly put a lot of time into it, including the annotations on several of the photos. I've seen this pen first hand and liked it, although I appreciate the brushed steel CP1 pen better (it is a little more refined in the machining). But for the price, I'd say it was a good deal. The Studio in brushed metal is anywhere from $45 to $75. The CP1 is discontinued in all but one finish--plated platinum.

This is the CP1 platinum:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-7749489752851_2079_18666232.jpg

:)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thank you for this first review, imakeartwork. You clearly put a lot of time into it, including the annotations on several of the photos. I've seen this pen first hand and liked it, although I appreciate the brushed steel CP1 pen better (it is a little more refined in the machining). But for the price, I'd say it was a good deal. The Studio in brushed metal is anywhere from $45 to $75. The CP1 is discontinued in all but one finish--plated platinum.

This is the CP1 platinum:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-7749489752851_2079_18666232.jpg

:)

I don't quite follow your grading on the Logo, as your comments seem to place a much higher value than the scoring you chose. What was your rationale? :hmm1:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Wow, that's some tough marking there! That said, I own one of these pens as well and I pretty much agree with all your sentiments (barring the nib since I got mine with a 1.1mm italic). I'm not all that bothered by the scuffing caused by the clip but that visible seam really bugs me sometimes.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I just bought this pen at a local store. I generally agree with the comments here and would also add that I think the butt end of the pen (for lack of knowing if there is a formal term) is poorly designed from an aesthetic perspective. Its a metal "cap" but there are 4 seems and two metal stops to keep the cap from going any further if you post it. 1) The seems especially look like crud IMO, something I didn't really notice before I bought it, but the stops are annoying too. And 2) The cap is just randomly installed. Its not "lined up" with the nib at the seams or one of the stops being parallel to the nibs. Its just however the guy at the factory slapped it on. It annoys me.

• 4 months later...

Belated thanks for this review. I agree with most of it, although I wouldn't have rated the design quite as low because it appeals to my personal taste :)

I bought a Lamy Logo recently and absolutely love it. Mine has an EF nib and I currently have it inked up with Diamine Syrah, and the whole thing is just the perfect combination for office use. I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews of the Logo because it seems like the ideal pen for somebody who wants something small and discreet for the office. You'd never guess it was a fountain pen unless it was uncapped.

My Logo will probably end up either as my permanent handbag pen or my permanent office pen. Haven't decided yet. I would love a second one if I could justify another pen purchase anytime soon!

• 1 month later...

I also recently picked up a Lamy Logo as my first Fountain Pen. Before I say anything, I'll say I really like the look and performance of this FP. Like Honeythief, I also picked this pen up do to its looks as a discrete office pen and the good reviews of Lamy overall; and it fills the bill for that purpose very well. With regards to the small seam listed above, I would say its nearly too small to notice and the small gap is almost large enough to look intentional.

The one thing I am a little concerned about is the clip (here comes the engineer in me). While the spring loaded clip design is very cool (again...engineer), when you push side to side, it feels a little flimsy. Not really a design flaw, just something to keep an eye on as I imagine the clip could be damaged if it were to snag on something in a bag.

For anyone thinking about picking up this pen who uses gel pens, I'll offer some comparison in terms of line size. The pen I used to prefer was a .38 pilot G2 gel pen. Because those can be hard to find locally, I also used the .5 pilot G2. Only when I absolutely had to did I ever use the .7 (most common in stores) or the 1.0. With the Fine nib that came on my Lamy Logo, the lines are pretty close to what a .7 Pilot G2 would write, maybe even a 1.0. If you also like fine point pens, I'd recommend you do what I am going to do, and get the Extra-Fine nib.

All that said, I am having a excellent time getting used to a fountain pen and I hope these reviews push anyone on the fence about getting this pen, over it.

Super stuff this review thumbup.gif. I've not yet got my hands on a Lamy yet so It's good to know that there's some pitfalls out there, as highlighted by your annotated pictures.

Keep this stuff coming!

Badger

• 9 months later...

This pen is actually my 4th fountain pen and it is my favorite at the moment. I switched the nib to 1.1mm because I like to use it both for doing calligraphy and taking notes during classes. One thing that makes this so attractive to me is the design - very modern looking and very professional, indeed. I so like the clip of the pen. You can just put in your pocket, pencil case or bag. Definitely, it's a good buy. :lol: :rolleyes: