Noodler's Baystate Blue

I am not a number

OK, so it's one of the more emotive inks on the market but I thought I'd do a review using the form which was designed by Pixtrix. I've had this ink since I first read the review by Whosyerbob almost two years ago. Throwing caution (and money) to the wind I immediately ordered 12 bottles from Swisher (and probably single-handedly saved the British economy through the amount of tax the package attracted when it arrived). I was rather paranoid that the ink may be taken off the market so I wanted some to lay down for future generations along with the bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire that I procured when I heard that similarly contentious inky wonder was going to be discontinued.

Many people have had terrible experiences with this ink and I can chalk up a Hero 616 and a Namiki Falcon as casualties. I have however had it in a Pilot Decimo, a Pelikan M400 and a Lamy Al-Star for over a year and all are still writing just fine with it. It is simply stunning as a colour but the performance varies greatly with the paper it is used on. It also fades badly under UV over time and a test I did showed this very markedly, I will look for the photo but it may be on another computer.

All in all and despite its quirks it does what it says on the bottle. It's fearsomely waterproof and an amazing colour. It will stain anything it comes into contact with and I would never advise using it in a pen you regard as precious or one that is light coloured, the ink will stain plastics and it has a very distinctive smell. It does not play well with other inks (unless they are designated as being able to mix with it) and all-in-all it can be considered as high maintenance. But, in a striking similarity to my slight thing about redheads, if you are willing to live with the temperament it is absolutely and incontestably worth it!

So here is the scan, I had stated that there wasn't feathering on the paper I used, but the 100% crop shows that it has occurred. Typical really, you think you have this ink sussed and it throws you a curve ball, and that just makes me love it more!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/photoboris/BaystateBlueReview.jpg

The 100% Crop.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/photoboris/BaystateBlueReviewCrop.jpg

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RitaCarbon

• Orange25

• bossy

• betsypreston

Sounds like this should be used with the Preppy eyedropper similar to the Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng ink which Swisher posted the necessary warnings advising to only use it with the enclosed eyedropper; the Baystate Blue also came out with warnings, perhaps for different reasons, although, maybe they should re-introduce it with an eyedropper pen to avoid some of the problems that have been noted.

It does not play well with other inks (unless they are designated as being able to mix with it) and all-in-all it can be considered as high maintenance.

Thanks, YANAN!

In the light of the Two Year Anniversary of SamCapote's historical thread, I have to admit that there will never be enough of BSB in the lives of its participants. (Soooooo stunning just to look at the color. I have to use it in my meditation practice!) Your review is like BSB color: it is simply perfectthumbup.gif

I thought there are no inks that can be mixed with BSB. What are the designated inks you are talking about?

Can it be Noodlers White of the Whale? Had anyone done that? I'd like to know how it went.

Rita

Thank you for the positive words about BSB!!

I just adore BSB--I have had it mostly in a modern Waterman's (Allure?) and a Parker Frontier. Both pens are indestructible, and I really don't care if they stain, even if they could. I've also had it in a Lamy Safari and an Al-Star, and a few Heros. They all fared well, but I wanted a broader brushstroke and thus it has wound up in these 2 pens almost exclusively.

I haven't seen any feathering except on super cheap paper (read looseleaf). On decent paper (Rhodia mostly), it's crisp. But, of course, I have never blown up any images of anything I've written.

Rita----The other inks you can mix Baystate blue with are Baystate Concord Grape (a fabulously rich deep purrple color) and Baystate Cranberry (which--imagine!--looks just like cranberries). As long as it says "Baystate" in front of it, you can mix it. Any other ink, including Whiteness of the Whale, and you are asking for trouble.

Much Love--Virginia

Rita----The other inks you can mix Baystate blue with are Baystate Concord Grape (a fabulously rich deep purrple color) and Baystate Cranberry (which--imagine!--looks just like cranberries). As long as it says "Baystate" in front of it, you can mix it. Any other ink, including Whiteness of the Whale, and you are asking for trouble.

Thank you so much!

I'm catching up with the civilized world, being out of my pens and inks for the whole year. So happy to hear about new Baystate inks. Need to have those in my collection. Concord Grape sounds soooooooo yuuummmy. puddle.gif

Dear Number 6 :

Fascinating review !

I've had a possibly-justified-possibly-not set of thoughts about BSB for some time. I work mostly with Pelikans, leavened more recently with Sheaffer MilClip vacuum fillers, and I've had a reluctance to test BSB with those pens. Reading that you've used it for a lengthy period with an M400 heartens me considerably. I would still have a vast sense of caution regarding the ink, but perhaps not a sense of paranoia.

I am, however, interested in knowing what happened to the Hero 616 and the Namiki Falcon.

Well, good food for thought, and different thoughts are good for me, as someone sang a bit back.

Be seeing you.

The new Number Two

P.S. And wasn't the recent remake a bit disappointing, excepting McKellan's as usual fine acting ?

Amazing review and it's got me wondering if I am ready for BSB. I tend to see Noodler's BSB as the Ancient Dragon Flame Jade Mountain Kata that is reserved only for the highest master because of its lethality and power.

And I am a neophyte, not yet ready to handle the sheer power of this ink. I shall wait and train and challenge the 4 Heroes of Xian Sheng Pass. Once I learn the 7 Sword Fountain Pen Style, I shall return to this temple and try my hand at BSB.

I have not drunk the Baystate Blue Kool Aid.

If you ever do, then I would suggest a straw.

I spilled some BSB on my hands and after 10 minutes of scrubbing them with a scourer and a range of cleaning products including Cillit Bang it simply looked as if I had been using Parker Quink as a moisturiser.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Thanks IANAN for this entertaining and excellent review. The temperamental parallel with redheads made me laugh. The ink and italic nib really suits your handwriting. This might be the review that finally put me over the edge and order some BSB.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

It is one of my favorite inks. currently I have it in a Hero 616. I have had it in a Waterman Phileas. a Parker 21 and a Parker 51. Leaving no ill effects in any. It does stain, I ruined a hotel room sink with it! Must handle with care. But there is nothing else like it!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

it simply looked as if I had been using Parker Quink as a moisturiser.

roflmho.gif

Have you ever seen a French movie "Fantomas"?

Edited by RitaCarbon

Amazing review!! I think this is the most beautiful blue, and love it! Its so lightining when the ink is wet or DRY!! The Tradicional blue inks (Pelikan, Sheaffer, Parker, MB) become very boring when they are dry. Nathan, who is the Noodler's president, told me this IS NOT DANGEROUS for our pens.

Best,

Fabricio

Just before the holidays I ordered a bottle of BSB and one of Bad Belted Kingfisher. After reading the recent reviews of both, I can't wait for them to arrive. There's been a delay cuz the BBK is temporarily out of stock. Grrrr.

There is a Preppy eyedropper ready and waiting to be filled with the BSB. I looooove the review scans. It really does seem to glow and I can't wait see it in person.

Does anyone have any experience with how BSB plays with porcelain?

As in a so-far impermeable bathroom sink? I've splattered every ink I've ever owned on it, and nothing has ever left any marks at all. Even splashes I didn't notice for several days wipe right off as if they never happened. Is there any reason to think this won't be true with the BSB? I don't care if I get it all over ME (well not ALL over - that I would mind, but SOME would be ok), but I'd be very very irritated if I turned my sink blue. If anyone HAS noticed (or anticipates) a problem, how on earth do you flush BSB out of a pen if you can't get it near your sink? I'm hoping it's not an issue.

Can anyone post a comparitive scan between the BSB and the Diamine WES Imperial Blue? I have the latter and the scans in IANAN's review looks very similar to the WES on my monitor.

Thanks!

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Betsy,

I have gotten BSB on both my kitchen sink and my kitchen table. The table is one of those outdoor patio tables with a tabletop that is designed to look like mosaic tiles. Mine is all tans and browns, with light gray "grout" lines, even after I got spots of BSB on it. I used Comet cleanser with bleach on the spots, and I DID NOT SCRUB the spots. I put the cleanser on, put a damp paper towel over it, and let it sit. One of the spots was about half the size of a dime, and it took three applications of the cleanser, but the spot is gone.

My kitchen sink is old, porcelain-over-cast-iron avocado green, and it has been scrubbed and scoured enough times that it will stain. I flush my pens, even the ones containing BSB, in this sink. Comet takes up most of the stains, and a periodic treatment with a bit of bleach in about two inches of water allowed to sit in the sink for awhile (half an hour to an hour is what I usually do) makes the sink look amazing.

Hope this helps!

Betsy,

I have gotten BSB on both my kitchen sink and my kitchen table. The table is one of those outdoor patio tables with a tabletop that is designed to look like mosaic tiles. Mine is all tans and browns, with light gray "grout" lines, even after I got spots of BSB on it. I used Comet cleanser with bleach on the spots, and I DID NOT SCRUB the spots. I put the cleanser on, put a damp paper towel over it, and let it sit. One of the spots was about half the size of a dime, and it took three applications of the cleanser, but the spot is gone.

My kitchen sink is old, porcelain-over-cast-iron avocado green, and it has been scrubbed and scoured enough times that it will stain. I flush my pens, even the ones containing BSB, in this sink. Comet takes up most of the stains, and a periodic treatment with a bit of bleach in about two inches of water allowed to sit in the sink for awhile (half an hour to an hour is what I usually do) makes the sink look amazing.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does!

My bathroom sink is all ceramic - some shiny baked on looking coating on top, rougher chalky stuff underneath the lip. The finish is in really good shape. I have a kitchen sink that sounds a lot like yours. There is definitely a difference between how ink works with each sink. So if you can get stuff off of your kitchen sink, I'm gonna guess that I should have pretty good luck with the less worn finish on my bathroom sink.

I'll probably do a spot test, just to be safe. But I'm encouraged. Thanks!