Lamy Dialog 3 (f Nib) Review

Multiechelon

Here are my initial thoughts on the Lamy Dialog 3 (F nib). I have been using the pen for a day. I spent yesterday evening writing with the pen and I wrote with it some more this morning to try to give myself some time with the pen.

This is not the first review on FPN. Edmund has started a comprehensive review at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133635 and he references another review but I could not find that one.

I bought this pen because the design interested me. When I have a day where I am bouncing between meetings and rooms, I like to use Namiki VPs because I find the pushbutton operation is just easier than dealing with a cap. If I am sitting in one place for several hours I do not use VPs but I use my VPs at least five hours a week and I find them to be excellent. So this review is really being done through the filter of a satisfied VP user.

The Lamy Dialog 3 is not going to win any style points, but it is simple and functional looking. I think it looks fine:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_01.jpg

When the nib is retracted, it is less than 1/4 inch shorter than the VP but this is not really noticeable to me particularly because the VP tapers and the Dialog does not.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_02.jpg

Here is the Dialog 3 taken apart:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_03.jpg

And here is the cartridge filler:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_04.jpg

I have not used Lamy before so I do not know if this is their standard cartridge filler but it seemed just fine to me. Piston was nice and smooth and it holds what I would expect for these kinds of mechanisms.

Once the nib is extended, the pen is substantially larger than the VP. A half an inch in absolute terms but given the tapered end of the VP it seems even larger than that:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_05.jpg

The clip retracts when the nib is extended. So here is the clip with the nib retracted:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_06.jpg

And here is the clip with the nib extended:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_07.jpg

Here is a writing sample:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_08.jpg

I will need to spend some more time with the pen before I can know for certain whether this will be kept or not. At 1.7 ounces, it is the heaviest pen I would use. I have a couple other pens that weigh 1.7 ounces or more but that is with the cap so when I take off the cap the writing weight is of course lower. It is noticeably heavier than the VP. When I am in meetings, the lightness of the VP is a bonus.

The nib seems excellent. This is the first Lamy I have used and the nib is great.

To my eye, the VP is a little more inconspicuous in daily use. This is a little more massive in all aspects. My immediate reaction is that if this is the only pen I could use, I would happily use it. But if I have the choice between this and the VP, the VP fits my style a little better.

When I go to meetings, I bring two pens with me because sometimes I like to switch between inks. So I will bring this with me for the next few days and see how it goes. My overall assessment is that it is a nice pens but in my own mind I am not sure it rises to the standard of the VP.

Sean

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Multiechelon

• hehiheho

• ScottieDarin

• oldnavy1988

Thank you for the review. I was considering of either getting a VP or a D3 but it seems that you (and as well as others) think that the VP might have a better value to it since the D3 retails for $300 and a VP retails for around $150. I think I am going to end up picking up a VP.

Check out my ink reviews.

Currently inked:

Pilot Vanishing Point - <font color=#000000> Hero Black </font color=#000000>

Hero 616 - <font color=#000000> Noodler's Blackest Black Old Manhattan </font color=#000000>

Thank you for the review. I was considering of either getting a VP or a D3 but it seems that you (and as well as others) think that the VP might have a better value to it since the D3 retails for $300 and a VP retails for around $150. I think I am going to end up picking up a VP.

I agree that if one considers the value angle it would be hard to recommend the D3 over the VP. I think the pens are comparable yet the VP is half the price.

One reason I bought the D3 was that I was hunting for a Green Carbonesque VP. Those tend to sell for around $250 so I did not think it was too great a leap to try the D3 instead. But if memory serves me correctly, I bought my Blue and Black Carbonesque VPs for $128 each, which is of course substantially cheaper than the D3.

Sean

It seems that (according to the picture of the nib) the nib and feed are the standard lamy exchangeable ones. Am I right? Is it the same nib as a Studio Palladium or Accent Brilliant? I ask that because I would maybe consider buying it if I could fit the nib I am used to on it.

Pens I use very often: Lamy Accent ("EF": fine), Lamy Accent ("1.1": medium italic), Pilot Custom ("FA": extra-fine flexible).

Yes! Photographs! And even comparison with a VP!

The converter is the same as the standard non-Safari Lamy converter.

I don't get why there is such a difference in price between Eu and US for the VP.

Thank you very much.

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I have a VP with both the fine and broad nib sets. (I love my VP) Will the Dialog 3 also have interchangeable nibs?

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

It seems that (according to the picture of the nib) the nib and feed are the standard lamy exchangeable ones. Am I right? Is it the same nib as a Studio Palladium or Accent Brilliant? I ask that because I would maybe consider buying it if I could fit the nib I am used to on it.

This is the only Lamy I have owned or used so I can't answer that. Perhaps someone else can weigh in.

I don't get why there is such a difference in price between Eu and US for the VP.

Thank you very much.

No problem. Beyond things like VAT, I am not sure why there is a price difference either.

I have a VP with both the fine and broad nib sets. (I love my VP) Will the Dialog 3 also have interchangeable nibs?

I don't know if Lamy offers replacement units but I think the answer is yes, at least in theory. In my third picture, it shows the nib section screws in to the barrel. So if oen can get a new nib section, then they coudl be interchanged. That said, I do not know if one can get one of these nib sections.

Sean

Thank you very much.

Great review - I especially like your photos and comparison with the VP. I also find VP to appear to have a better value, but I am biased here as I really like my VP. I think the Dialog looks rather bulky beside the not-non-substantial VP.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Great review - I especially like your photos and comparison with the VP. I also find VP to appear to have a better value, but I am biased here as I really like my VP. I think the Dialog looks rather bulky beside the not-non-substantial VP.

I agree. I've been curious about this pen, so I appreciate the review (and very nice photos!). That said, I cannot see ever purchasing the Dialog 3. I have a VP, a Decimo, and a Fermo. All of them function extremely well, are much more stylish, and have interchangeable nib units. The VP and the Decimo are much cheaper. The Fermo is comparable in price to the Dialog 3, but I think its looks are much sleeker. I'm much more inclined toward the Pilots.

This is the only Lamy I have owned or used so I can't answer that. Perhaps someone else can weigh in.

I hope so. Thank you, anyway. And many thanks for the review.

Pens I use very often: Lamy Accent ("EF": fine), Lamy Accent ("1.1": medium italic), Pilot Custom ("FA": extra-fine flexible).

I do wish it came in a color other than black, nice review though

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I agree. I've been curious about this pen, so I appreciate the review (and very nice photos!). That said, I cannot see ever purchasing the Dialog 3. I have a VP, a Decimo, and a Fermo. All of them function extremely well, are much more stylish, and have interchangeable nib units. The VP and the Decimo are much cheaper. The Fermo is comparable in price to the Dialog 3, but I think its looks are much sleeker. I'm much more inclined toward the Pilots.

Thank you for the review. I've been a long-time fan of Lamy pens, but this Dialog 3 does not seem to be a compelling purchase for me.

After using the pen for a couple hours a day over several days this week, I have also come to the conclusion that I simply like my VPs more than this pen. There is nothing really wrong with this pen. If we were assigning letter grades, it is a "solid B" but there are pens out there, like the VP, that are an A.

Nice review.

I saw one in DC. They are very impressive.

I certainly have not run into any problems with using the pen. I saw in another thread that there were concerns about the twisting mechanism. In normal use for about 10 hours, I never ran into a problem. I did notice that sometimes if I was just idly fooling around with the pen and rapidly twisting it open and closed it would sometimes stick but a simple twist resolved this. I did not view it as serious.

This was the first Lamy I used and I really enjoyed the nib. The writing worked just fine.

I hope so. Thank you, anyway. And many thanks for the review.

Maybe one of the dealers would know? I just don't have any other Lamys to compare it to so I don't know.

I do wish it came in a color other than black, nice review though

I assume you mean silver? ;-)

My final verdict on this pen is that it is not going to make it into my rotation. I am glad I tried out this pen. It actually has given me even more respect for my VPs which I have always liked but I might have started taking them for granted.

In the final analysis, this pen is just too heavy and too long for my use. I took another picture that shows that the barrel is at least a half inch longer than it needs to be.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/multiechelon/LamyDialog3/LD3_12.jpg

I know some users like long pens. If someone posts their pens, this weight and length are probably ideal. But I don't post my pens so I find this pen too heavy. And while the twist mechanism is better than carrying around a cap, I find the VP more convenient. So I was happy to try this pen out and I will likely try out the next generation when it comes out, but this particular pen is not for me.

Sean

Edited by Multiechelon

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the great review. I now own the Dialog 3, Pilot / Nakami Vanishing Point, Decimo and Fermo - all purchased in the last three weeks. Love them all. Some feedback

1. Dialog 3 is heavy. Based on it weight, I made a mistake and got the Medium Nib. I received a Fine Nib for it yesterday and I find it writes much better with that Nib. This is especially true on lower priced papers. On high quality Clairefountaine or Rhodia papers it tends to start slowly or skip. On cheaper paper, the Lamy Cartridge ink flows perfectly. So, I have a cool pen for writing on regular paper. This pen is very cool and with the Fine Nib, I like it.

2. The Fermo, Decimo and VP are superb. My favorite pens for use on quality papers and even low quality papers. The combination of cool factor, colors, and function are keys. That, and they just write incredibly well. I have both Medium (is quite fine) and fine (which is more like an extra fine). I think every collection should have at least one VP / Capless pen in it.

I have this pen on sale to low to advertise for a limited time at www.isellpens.com . Not sure how long my supply will last but I have a pretty good supply due to over a year of back orders from Lamy.

• 2 years later...

Coming to the conversation late. I can see one advantage of the Lamy over the VP: the Lamy doesn't have a clicker button that, if levered against the rear barrel of the pen, can lead to cracking and failure of the barrel edge. That's what happened to my first-gen VP (thanks for the repair, Namiki) as a consequence of my occasionally letting the pen ride in my pants pocket. With its twist mechanism, the Lamy would be immune to those bending stresses.

Needless to say, my VP no longer suffers the indignities of pedestrian carriage.

No time too tight, no task too tall

With feet to fire and back to wall.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the review. I was contemplating on buying Dialog 3 because of the design but I will just stick with my VP for now.

• 1 year later...

No problem. Beyond things like VAT, I am not sure why there is a price difference either.

I don't know if Lamy offers replacement units but I think the answer is yes, at least in theory. In my third picture, it shows the nib section screws in to the barrel. So if oen can get a new nib section, then they coudl be interchanged. That said, I do not know if one can get one of these nib sections.

Sean

By VAT do you mean Value-Added Tax?